Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 12:33 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
Nice job of whitewashing Margaret Sanger’s views. She was an out and proud racist.
She may have been. Many were during that period in time. Still doesn't mean she would be proud of forced sterilization.

Nice way to ignore those who actually started, pushed, funded and otherwise fully supported the eugenics programs and passed laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 12:49 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Where are you seeing the part about his parents not wanting him to have kids? I came to question the OP but you said it too. I'm only seeing that his dad died and his mom had been institutionalized prior and couldn't take care of him so he was sent to the institution and "felt he had no choice but to submit to sterilization". It was the State of CA that was pushing it.

Are we reading different articles?

This is what the article says;

The New York Times

"Leonard Bisel was 15 when the state of California decided that he should not have children, threatening to lock him up and force to to do hard labor if he did not submit to sterilization."

Old 07-13-2021, 01:25 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
This is what the article says;

The New York Times

"Leonard Bisel was 15 when the state of California decided that he should not have children, threatening to lock him up and force to to do hard labor if he did not submit to sterilization."

Yes...the State of CA, not HIS PARENTS, one of which was already dead.

Like talking to a wall here sometimes.

Old 07-13-2021, 01:35 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Yes...the State of CA, not HIS PARENTS, one of which was already dead.

Like talking to a wall here sometimes.

Sometimes I think it's a comprehension problem. But I can't say too much about THAT, as I've been known to miss details in stories before.

Old 07-13-2021, 01:42 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
For some reason I thought the article said his parents...I guess I was wrong. Sorry to be like talking to a wall, I forgot how highly intelligent everyone here is lol. Seriously get a life. The point of this is that no matter who made the decision it's terrible.

Old 07-13-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
For some reason I thought the article said his parents...I guess I was wrong. Sorry to be like talking to a wall, I forgot how highly intelligent everyone here is lol. Seriously get a life. The point of this is that no matter who made the decision it's terrible.
I think we can all agree with that.
That's why government should not have control of our bodies and medical decisions.

Old 07-13-2021, 01:57 PM

1,742 posts, read 959,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
She may have been. Many were during that period in time. Still doesn't mean she would be proud of forced sterilization.

Nice way to ignore those who actually started, pushed, funded and otherwise fully supported the eugenics programs and passed laws.
You’re the one defending a known racist and eugenicist, not me.

Old 07-13-2021, 01:57 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,944,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The Eugenics programs and mind set was popular during her time. She never forced anyone to be sterilized nor was this her movement. She fought for reproduction rights for women, legal reproduction information and birth control. She agreed with sterilization but " We maintain that a woman possessing an adequate knowledge of her reproductive functions is the best judge of time and conditions under which her child should be brought into the world. We maintain that it is her right, regardless of all other considerations, to determine whether she shall bear children or not, and how many children she shall bear if she chooses to become a mother."

Perhaps Carnegie, Rockefeller, Harriman, Kellogg and Davenport would be proud.

As much a I sometimes look as some people and think to myself they should be sterilized, it is never right for the government to intrude on any individuals right to their own reproduction.
Margaret Sanger was into Eugenics and forced sterilizations up to her eye-balls.

Old 07-13-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Margaret Sanger was into Eugenics and forced sterilizations up to her eye-balls.
Proof.

Old 07-13-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
You’re the one defending a known racist and eugenicist, not me.
So.
I can find nothing that indicated she forced sterilizations on anyone. She did a lot of good for women to insure they could legally get birth control information and reproductive care they needed. She was instrumental in the development and funding of oral contraceptives. She was not forcing anything on anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies