Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 06:46 PM

3,041 posts, read 4,999,275 times

Advertisements

I'm more surprised that anyone in the UC system would risk signing their name on this letter than at the non-sensical proposal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 06:52 PM

2,367 posts, read 908,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamhammer View Post
fitting how it’s California proposing this. Evil vile scum the lot of them. Let them do their thing, it will pay off for the rest of us soon. Im surprised people from this state still get hired.
Two words: Private School.

California is creating two classes of people by high housing cost and bad public schools.

Old 07-13-2021, 06:54 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,730,895 times
If they fail to teach the absolute truth that 2 + 2 = 5, they're going to hell for being racist, misogynistic, bigoted Nazis.

Old 07-13-2021, 06:56 PM

43,059 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Just the kind of people we want designing our bridges, buildings, airplanes, nuclear power plants, etc, in the future, people who were taught that mathematics--which is essentially what the entire physical universe is modeled with--is racist and who can't handle the most basic numeric principles.

This is essentially what the Catholic church did in the Dark Ages (in a different way): kept the common person stupid and unable to fathom the most basic knowledge, while keeping the core of elites the only educated people in the kingdoms/churches, thus easily able to control the ignorant riff raff.
No worries; it's just a case of "oops, my bad." There are no "errors" anymore.

...as quoted from Chapter 2 in their Math Framework:

https://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/ma/cf/index.asp
"Empowering students with mathematics also includes removing the high stakes of errors and sending the message that learning is always unfinished and that it is safe to take mathematical risks."

Old 07-13-2021, 06:58 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,777,662 times
I can see it a few years down the road... a bridge collapses, killing dozens of people. Board of inquiry meeting...

Investigator: You signed your name to that blueprint. After having our actual MATHEMATICIANS (from outside California) check your figures, there wasn't even one computation they could find that was accurate or within safety tolerances.

Engineer: Your math is racist. Your safety tolerances are racist. I didn't do any computations. I simply modeled it, ignored the software load warnings--because they were racist math BS--and printed it out. And I object to this inquiry. It's racist.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:05 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,216,444 times
I'm surprised this hasn't migrated to Washington and Oregon's school systems by now.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:09 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
No worries; it's just a case of "oops, my bad." There are no "errors" anymore.

...as quoted from Chapter 2 in their Math Framework:

https://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/ma/cf/index.asp
"Empowering students with mathematics also includes removing the high stakes of errors and sending the message that learning is always unfinished and that it is safe to take mathematical risks."
Good lord, it's NOT safe to take mathematical risks. These people are nuttier than fruitcakes. What is it with them? Have they all been on one too many bad acid trips or what? That kind of "thinking" is downright dangerous.

The only place it is safe to take "mathematical risks" is with theoretical pure math researchers. Other than that, all our fields of engineering, science, statistics, etc, rely HEAVILY on accurate mathematics. Can you imagine, say, the folks working on the first nuclear warheads or nuclear powerplants having the attitude that "mathematical risks" and inaccuracies are acceptable?

These loons are building an idiocracy and a fresh new pool of future Darwin Award winners. Maybe we need a new category of Darwin Award where those who kill the most people in the stupidest way win.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:15 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Well, I can see why the same group of people proposing garbage like this hates standardized testing and calls it "unfair".

Old 07-13-2021, 07:36 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,573,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Because a small percentage of the population is too dumb to understand math concepts. Makes sense.
Most people don’t have the practice and natural quantitative/spacial reasoning in order to even gain much from having to go through traditional math classes. The majority of the people on this forum, for instance, likely fall into this category. In my observation, a lot of people end up hating math, forgetting what they learned for the test immediately afterword, then coming out of school with almost no quantitative/spacial reasoning skills aside from addition and subtraction. I doubt anyone else even looked through the documents linked, but it seems like an effort to provide other options that develop quantitative/spacial reasoning by teaching concepts and applying them to “softer” subjects that are usually of more interest to less mathematically inclined people. I would like to see more specific examples of what these new curricula would look like before forming a full opinion, but it would be nice to see more math literacy among the language and arts minded majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I can see it a few years down the road... a bridge collapses, killing dozens of people. Board of inquiry meeting...

Investigator: You signed your name to that blueprint. After having our actual MATHEMATICIANS (from outside California) check your figures, there wasn't even one computation they could find that was accurate or within safety tolerances.

Engineer: Your math is racist. Your safety tolerances are racist. I didn't do any computations. I simply modeled it, ignored the software load warnings--because they were racist math BS--and printed it out. And I object to this inquiry. It's racist.
The kind of people attracted to engineering would be on the traditional math curriculum path. California has the highest standards for the Professional Engineering licensure in the nation. It requires knowledge of earthquake mechanics, which involves more complex math than what most states test on.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:50 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,216,444 times
Professors in every field from mathematics to chemistry to neurobiology to civil engineering seem to think this is a bad idea. And most of them seem to be from California. So that should say something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies