Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 10:43 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He’d murder his own state’s economy. Perish the thought.
By shutting it down. At least he opened it up quicker than most.

Quote:
Texans talk a lot. Chalk it up to that.
desertdetroiter talks a lot, except about policy. It's always about policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2021, 10:51 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
By shutting it down. At least he opened it up quicker than most.

desertdetroiter talks a lot, except about policy. It's always about policy.
No sense in you taking it personally. Texans are notoriously long on mouth and short on action. And the more yakking they do, the more you know they ain’t gonna do squat.

Texas can’t afford to close the border for more than an augenblick.

Old 07-15-2021, 05:58 AM

62,867 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamhammer View Post
I can’t believe we have to build a concrete wall in 2021. A fu$&#ng concrete wall! It’s not the middles ages anymore. Maybe an invisible fence or something? like what I use for my dog at a fraction of the price and works perfect. Just Turn up the electricity a nibble and should be golden.

So you must be appalled at all the homes and businesses that have a wall to protect them in 2021? Since when are good physical barriers only an idea of the middles ages? Walls are a good deterrant and prevent most unwanted entry. WTH is an invisible fence?

Old 07-15-2021, 06:35 AM

23,967 posts, read 15,063,270 times
IIRC, the purpose of Abbott's wall is to arrest the border jumpers for trespassing or illegally entering. It sets the jumpers up for committing a crime in Texas.

That's a very different approach from USA immigration laws.

Old 07-15-2021, 07:26 AM

1,173 posts, read 549,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So you must be appalled at all the homes and businesses that have a wall to protect them in 2021? Since when are good physical barriers only an idea of the middles ages? Walls are a good deterrant and prevent most unwanted entry. WTH is an invisible fence?
Maybe you have me mistaken for someone else. I’m all for a wall but a concrete border is beyond ancient. An invisible fence lined with lasers or something that can’t be climbed. I dunno, I guess what I’m saying is our walls are meant/designed to be defeated. Got to be a new technology out there that works better for a fraction of the price and would actually get built.

Old 07-15-2021, 07:39 AM

62,867 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamhammer View Post
Maybe you have me mistaken for someone else. I’m all for a wall but a concrete border is beyond ancient. An invisible fence lined with lasers or something that can’t be climbed. I dunno, I guess what I’m saying is our walls are meant/designed to be defeated. Got to be a new technology out there that works better for a fraction of the price and would actually get built.
Nope, I was replying to you. Concrete walls do work! The one on the border has reinforced steel in it, down several feet and are 30 ft. tall! They are 90% effective in deterring illegal entry. There is nothing ancient about it! Show me where these laser fences are used as a deterrant for something 1,000 miles long and how it can be done, etc. If it were feasible then we'd be hearing something about it.

Old 07-15-2021, 08:44 AM

4,653 posts, read 1,947,611 times
How many Governors and States put travel restrictions on people entering their States during Covid? If that was legal Abbot can certainly put restrictions on entering his State. There is a difference in the use of "close" the border as in patrol and attempt to close it from illegal immigration(call it prevent Covid spread if you must from all those unvaccinated "undocumented") and completely shut it down to everything, including legal traffic. I don't think anybody is talking about that. The desire to do it and the means to do so, well thats a different subject.

Old 07-15-2021, 08:44 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Interesting to see Tucker Carlson turn on a right wing, very conservative governor who is positioned to possibly run for President in 2024.

If Abbott could close the border, he would have. I'm no fan of that man, at ALL, but the Texas border is LONG, and porous, and it's very hard to keep people from crossing it.

Interesting to see the right wing turn on each other as enemies, though. It's hard to envision Tucker Carlson and Greg Abbott as political foes. But, apparently in the current climate they are.

Making more room for a party of centrists to emerge. What a relief that would be.
jeebus.

Now, I readily admit I haven't watched the 8 minute video to watch Tucker's tone when he says this. But I would be surprised if he was "turning on Abbott".

Texas cannot close the border, as noted above - they can't do a damn thing about those lawfully-admitted through border checkpoints. Now, can they stand 1 ft inside the border along the Rio Grande where illegals are border jumping and stop them? Absolutely. That's just simple law enforcement. Can he use the National Guard for long periods of time? No clue. If the OP is actually interested, she should use Google.

Old 07-15-2021, 08:49 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,393 times
Quote:
He’d murder his own state’s economy. Perish the thought.

Texans talk a lot. Chalk it up to that.
by stopping new illegal immigrants? That's interesting. How many you think are sneaking through in a year?

There's an estimate of 1.5MM illegal adults in Texas. That's 7% of their adult population.

Old 07-15-2021, 08:57 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,582 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
jeebus.

Now, I readily admit I haven't watched the 8 minute video to watch Tucker's tone when he says this. But I would be surprised if he was "turning on Abbott".

Texas cannot close the border, as noted above - they can't do a damn thing about those lawfully-admitted through border checkpoints. Now, can they stand 1 ft inside the border along the Rio Grande where illegals are border jumping and stop them? Absolutely. That's just simple law enforcement. Can he use the National Guard for long periods of time? No clue. If the OP is actually interested, she should use Google.
Well, now you can!

He speaks about Abbott's role in closing the border at about 7:30 into the video. States that Abbott is the only governor who might possible close their portion of the southern border, and how many National guard members it would take. He notes that Abbott has only sent a fraction of that, and when asked for a statement for Carlson's show, Abbott refused to give one.

Calling him out.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi..._disaster.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies