Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 01:35 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman_Flexim View Post
Oh right. Not like viruses mutate when they have more hosts or anything. And not like there are older members or not like they have famies with possible health conditions, and not like the military wants to take a chance, and not like covid damages you people both physically and neurologically…
Diseases do that. Think how physically and neurologically damaged you would feel if you were told you had terminal cancer. Do you know what your probability of that is? I'll bet you don't. But you sure as hell worry about that sub one percent chance of covid, don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
For the military it’s even lower, so far been a 0.0117% mortality rate.
And the sad thing is that most people likely don't have any idea of how miniscule a chance that is. They let the MSM hyperbole shape their thinking for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 02:05 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman_Flexim View Post
Cancer doesn’t exponentially spread through populations…
Neither do viruses after a time. If they did, we would have been extinct several hundred thousand years ago.

Old 07-15-2021, 02:34 PM

561 posts, read 338,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Neither do viruses after a time. If they did, we would have been extinct several hundred thousand years ago.
That makes no sense. A virus can spread exponentially and not cause a mass extinction. Plenty examples of viral pandemics that didn't kill off the entire population

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
you forgot, "with a 0.08% mortality rate for that age group."
The military is concerned with readiness not death, although death impacts readiness too of course.

Old 07-15-2021, 05:59 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post

The military is concerned with readiness not death, although death impacts readiness too of course.
And long haul covid, which can impact 10-25% of people who get covid according to some numbers I’ve seen, can have a huge impact on readiness. I know people who have gone from marathon training to struggling to walk to the mailbox for weeks after infection. Do you want to have 20% of a special forces unit be unfit for duty for 2-3 months because of long haul covid issues?

Old 07-15-2021, 06:49 PM

57,274 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
For the military it’s even lower, so far been a 0.0117% mortality rate.
Why would you expect military comprised of mostly young physically fit to have other than a low mortality rate, but as we have seen it can spread very easily and put air craft carriers out of business.

When I was in the military and went overseas to Vietnam I was vaccinated for everything under the sun, but now with a pandemic we need to back off because of a low mortality rate. If soldiers need to be deployed would you rather have them vaccinated or not.

This shouldn't be political but the right wing is making this a partisan fight.

I wonder if DeSantis will intervene in military bases in Florida.

Old 07-15-2021, 07:46 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Why would you expect military comprised of mostly young physically fit to have other than a low mortality rate, but as we have seen it can spread very easily and put air craft carriers out of business.

When I was in the military and went overseas to Vietnam I was vaccinated for everything under the sun, but now with a pandemic we need to back off because of a low mortality rate. If soldiers need to be deployed would you rather have them vaccinated or not.

I am not against vaccines, every member of my family, both near and extended, are vaccinated. Both my sons were volunteers for the vaccine trials. I have multiple co-morbidities, you better believe if I were medically able to take the vaccine I would in a heartbeat. I really do wish I could, the virus hit my family hard and we lost loved ones early on.

None of that changes my very strong opinion that until the vaccine has full FDA approval I do not think it should mandated for military members or anyone else, for that matter.

“My body, my choice”
“Your body, your choice”
“Their body, their choice”

Old 07-15-2021, 08:18 PM

8,418 posts, read 4,576,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Hilariously ironic statement.

Old 07-15-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I am not against vaccines, every member of my family, both near and extended, are vaccinated. Both my sons were volunteers for the vaccine trials. I have multiple co-morbidities, you better believe if I were medically able to take the vaccine I would in a heartbeat. I really do wish I could, the virus hit my family hard and we lost loved ones early on.

None of that changes my very strong opinion that until the vaccine has full FDA approval I do not think it should mandated for military members or anyone else, for that matter.

“My body, my choice”
“Your body, your choice”
“Their body, their choice”
People who are compromised are of course the exception but in general that is not the case. I fully expect FDA approval this fall.

Old 07-15-2021, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Hilariously ironic statement.
I guess I missed your point, why are military vaccinations suddenly a partisan issue.

Old 07-16-2021, 04:38 AM

6,109 posts, read 3,344,280 times
Let me inject some realism here.

My unit has been tracking vaccination status since the very beginning months ago. I believe every unit in the military has been doing this for months, too.

I’ve seen the numbers in my unit, and in many others, and it is usually around 90-95% vaccinated. There have definitely been people who refuse the vaccine, continue to refuse the vaccine, and the senior leadership has not forced them to get it.

As of today, it’s still a choice.

We had a handful of serious reactions to the virus before the vaccine was available. Nobody died, though. Since the vaccine, nobody has gotten sick enough to require hospitalization.

Those are the facts.

Does the vaccine work? Maybe, maybe not. Could just be that everyone has been exposed.
Do masks work? I don’t personally think so, but sure, it’s possible they do help.
Has the vaccine made people sick, injured, or ill? I have seen zero evidence of this.
Do lockdowns work? I don’t personally think so, but even if they do, aren’t we just postponing everyone’s exposure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies