Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support a PEACEFUL secession?
Yes 47 43.52%
Not Sure, conflicted 8 7.41%
No 53 49.07%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 07:49 PM

26,457 posts, read 15,053,236 times

Advertisements

35% of Americans support breaking up the country.

Political Groups that are MOST likely to support secession by region:

South - 66% of Republicans support secession
West Coast - 47% of Democrats support secession
Midwest - 43% of Independents support secession
Rocky Mountains - 43% of Republicans support secession
North East - 39% of Democrats support secession

Increased Balkanization.

Demonization of our political enemies.

Antiquated religious fundamentalist beliefs.

Divisive Woke politics.

Racist policies including anti-white equity racist policies.

Political debt and dysfunction at all levels.

Rule of law no longer a thing.

Perpetual riots.

Only 29% of Americans trusting the news.

Big-Tech becoming Big Brother.

No longer a shared reverence of the constitution.

Overly glorifying the US vs over the top anti-American rhetoric.

https://www.newsweek.com/47-west-coa...ede-us-1609875

It seems like it would be hard to split the country up even if it were mutual and peaceful. Urban areas are largely leftist and rural areas are largely conservative. No easy way to draw the line. Lots of people wouldn't want to get left behind so to say - Conservative Californians wouldn't want to get left behind in what they see as "Wokeistan" and Liberal Alabamians wouldn't want to get left behind in what they see as "Trumpistan."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 07:50 PM

552 posts, read 222,965 times
What Americans were polled? Nobody asked me at all. I am an American, and a registered active voter.

Old 07-15-2021, 07:54 PM

2,034 posts, read 852,412 times
It’s time in my opinion. However, The divide will be so divisive that the left or the extreme far left will not survive. They will have nobody to attack but themselves anymore. They will have nobody to take from but themselves anymore. They are Kumbaya fantasy will implode into the abyss and whatever half of the country they get will be worse than anything you’ve seen in South America. Who are they going to blame then?

Old 07-15-2021, 07:57 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
The takeaway for me, at least with the very limited data this poll provides without much explanation for how it was conducted, is that this poll seems to indicate that the least patriotic people (as a group anyway) in the United States are Republicans in the South, even though they are some of the most likely people to engage in virtue signaling their vision of patriotism.

I can't say I'm surprised by this.

I voted "no", by the way.

Last edited by Jowel; 07-15-2021 at 08:21 PM..

Old 07-15-2021, 08:10 PM

2,367 posts, read 908,131 times
I just want to keep state autonomy as given by the Constitution. Secession would be the end of the USA. It would be as bad as giving Hawaii to the Japanese and Alaska to the Russians.

Old 07-15-2021, 08:21 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post

.......Lots of people wouldn't want to get left behind so to say - Conservative Californians wouldn't want to get left behind in what they see as "Wokeistan" and Liberal Alabamians wouldn't want to get left behind in what they see as "Trumpistan."
When supposedly mature adults make up silly childish names like that how can they be taken seriously?

Old 07-15-2021, 08:52 PM

26,457 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
When supposedly mature adults make up silly childish names like that how can they be taken seriously?

I didn't invent those names. I am just illustrating that if the country divides up, there will certainly be people who feel like they will either have to move or be completely alienated politically.

Old 07-15-2021, 08:58 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,454,025 times
So long as the USD is still a viable currency, there is no need for secession. Once the USD collapse, secession/balkanization will be necessary and unavoidable.

Old 07-15-2021, 09:05 PM

18,355 posts, read 26,481,472 times
I think there's an in-between option that would ultimately be better than secession or the status quo (the status quo is not going to last much longer). Devolve the federal government's powers to nothing but defense and interstate infrastructure. Take away its legislative powers. Make the states for all practical purposes their own countries, after having county by county votes to redraw their boundaries, but united for the purpose of national defense and maintaining our economy.

Whatever happens, it can happen peacefully. There was no threat of civil war in Canada when Quebec voted on independence, nor in the UK when Scotland voted on the subject. Czechoslovakia divided peacefully. There is no reason to cling to a precedent of violence from the 19th century to settle the issues.

Old 07-15-2021, 09:08 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,754,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
It’s time in my opinion. However, The divide will be so divisive that the left or the extreme far left will not survive. They will have nobody to attack but themselves anymore. They will have nobody to take from but themselves anymore. They are Kumbaya fantasy will implode into the abyss and whatever half of the country they get will be worse than anything you’ve seen in South America. Who are they going to blame then?
I'm with you. You're so right.

I don't know how exactly it would take place, but I am not liking what is happening now and if it continues, I want no part of it. We have 3 1/2 more years of this. I can't take much more. I also wonder if Republican winning house and senate and impeaching some will make a difference. I know we can win in 2024 but can this country last until then? Will it be too far gone? Will there even be an election?

I am for anything that can happen peacefully. I'd have to learn more about it and how it would happen but it can't be worse than what is happening now.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 07-15-2021 at 09:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies