Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2021, 01:21 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,212 times

Advertisements

Natural Selection

Old 07-22-2021, 01:27 PM

7,354 posts, read 3,527,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
Here's the problem...
We only have so many ICU beds. When we run out of those (or supplied oxygen like India and Brazil), a lot of people start dying. When we run out of morgue space, we have no place to keep bodies. Stacked up bodies lead to a variety of communicable diseases. We could just dump them in the river and let them float downstream to be someone else's problem, or burn them in mass burnings (pollution issues.) But hey, what are ecological disasters and plague when compared to vaccination campaigns and mask wearing? I mean how bad could it get?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4rR-OsTNCg
If I came from another planet and was reading your post I would think that if you got infected there was 100% chance you would end up in the hospital and on a ventilator. The science says an overwhelming majority of people will not have any severe symptoms and will not require hospitalization. Science.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:35 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Here's the problem...
We only have so many ICU beds. When we run out of those (or supplied oxygen like India and Brazil), a lot of people start dying. When we run out of morgue space, we have no place to keep bodies. Stacked up bodies lead to a variety of communicable diseases. We could just dump them in the river and let them float downstream to be someone else's problem, or burn them in mass burnings (pollution issues.) But hey, what are ecological disasters and plague when compared to vaccination campaigns and mask wearing? I mean how bad could it get?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4rR-OsTNCg
It's quite possible that the situation as it is now, only exists because scientists and their profit making owners were being too proactive in the hunt for "the next big one"

Some of us have little faith in the current model of enhancing viruses in order to see what potential threats they pose, and I personally see a politically pressured mass vaccination using vaccines lacking the usual long term studies, as part of that same mindset of looking too far ahead.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:49 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Even if severe cases really are entirely among people with pre-existing conditions and the elderly, the virus still places too much of a strain on our healthcare system to simply let it go endemic. Since half the country won't accept a vaccine, what else do we do? Do we just stay locked down forever, as long as certain types of gatherings like churches aren't affected?
Some of the counties in my area have just announced that employers should mandate vaccinations. Snippet from the article, "...A state workplace safety committee heard last week that virus cases have been increasing in workplaces across the state, as the highly infectious delta variant continues to spread.

Workers who are unvaccinated against COVID-19 pose a substantial health and financial risk to the workplace,” said Dr. Chris Farnitano, Contra Costa County’s health officer, in a statement. “Most importantly, workplace exposures have led to serious illnesses and deaths.”

The health officials said in a release that employers can play a critical role in increasing vaccination rates by requiring the shots as a condition of employment,..." Source: https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/a...e-16332986.php <my emphasis added>

I agree with this. Until we have enough people vaccinated, this virus will never go away. My area is ~70% fully vaccinated but, areas in the southeast have low vaccination rates. We need to force them or isolate them. This is a health crisis and I want to go back to normal or at least close to it!!!

Old 07-22-2021, 01:54 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,997,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Are we just extending this horror needlessly?
I think everyone should go out and get infected on purpose.

You are not going to be able to avoid it.
??

This is a bad idea on so many levels it isn't funny.

1. Medical resources are limited. Meaning there is only so many beds, staff, medications, oxygen tanks, ect. Large numbers of people being ill at once would strain the system to the point of breaking. Basically one of the biggest influences on the death rate is the quality of care you get. Modern medicine can do a lot but if you can't breath effectively then your blood oxygen level will drop, and if it drops low enough you WILL have a heart attack. If you have diarrha and vomiting it can lead to dehydration and electrolyte imbalances. Infection with a virus can open you up to secondary bacterial infections and poor apatite can lead to malnutrition. All these problems that can lead to death are to some degree solvable in an hospital or with proper medical care.

Low oxygen can be solved by administering oxygen and giving drugs that open up airways worse case scenario putting the patent on the ventilator. Low oxygen also interferes with the body's ability to heal and fight the infection. If all the beds are full or you cant find oxygen you will die.

Diarrha and vomiting can be controlled by medication. Dehydration andelectrolyte imbalances can be fix via drinks and IV.

Secondary bacterial infections can be cured or prevented by antibiotics(You know the Erythromycin and Zpacs that the anti-vaxer rave about.).

Finally malnutrition can be fixed via apatite stimulant's, vitamins, special foods

2. Vaccines are available that would prevent you getting ill or reduce the severity of the illness increasing your odds of survival.

3. Disease can leave you with long term problems even after the infection clears up.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:14 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Some of the counties in my area have just announced that employers should mandate vaccinations. Snippet from the article, "...A state workplace safety committee heard last week that virus cases have been increasing in workplaces across the state, as the highly infectious delta variant continues to spread.

Workers who are unvaccinated against COVID-19 pose a substantial health and financial risk to the workplace,” said Dr. Chris Farnitano, Contra Costa County’s health officer, in a statement. “Most importantly, workplace exposures have led to serious illnesses and deaths.”

The health officials said in a release that employers can play a critical role in increasing vaccination rates by requiring the shots as a condition of employment,..." Source: https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/a...e-16332986.php <my emphasis added>

I agree with this. Until we have enough people vaccinated, this virus will never go away. My area is ~70% fully vaccinated but, areas in the southeast have low vaccination rates. We need to force them or isolate them. This is a health crisis and I want to go back to normal or at least close to it!!!
If your area if 70% fully vaccinated and your public health officials are still acting like there's a crisis, then that's not much of an advertisement for someone in an area with a lower vaccination rate to go get the shot. It's actually an advertisement not to get the shot (because if you do, government will interpret it as buy-in for further restrictions).

Old 07-22-2021, 02:14 PM

1,081 posts, read 548,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
If I came from another planet and was reading your post I would think that if you got infected there was 100% chance you would end up in the hospital and on a ventilator. The science says an overwhelming majority of people will not have any severe symptoms and will not require hospitalization. Science.
I was being cheeky with her, but yes, you are correct.

However, take the population of the US (328.2 million) times the number of people we can expect to need medical care (1 in 6 or ~16%) that means there will be ~53 million people needing some level of health care assistance. Once we run out of supplied oxygen for those people it goes south quick for them.
On top of that, at the beginning of the pandemic, it was estimated that we only had ICU beds for 2% of the population (this may have changed), that no where reaches our 16%. And it's not like, get in the bed, "you're cured!", and get out. This is weeks to months of tying up a bed for a COVID patient.
Even with half the population vaccinated, we could still expect ~8% needing care. Running out of oxygen or beds to treat people ends in a lot of dead people. All of us getting it at the same time, would be a very bad idea.

Imagine everyone in the US having one big COVID19 party...

https://apnews.com/article/los-angel...6cce191e62a932

https://spectrumnews1.com/oh/columbu...riefing-monday

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...orgue-n1247114

https://www.azmirror.com/blog/covid-...f-morgue-beds/

There are only so many refrigerated trucks to go around...

I'm not scaremongering, I'm just trying to explain why we shouldn't all get it at once.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:26 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,739,667 times
The first wave of Covid caused the most damage.
Hospitals managed.
Older people and those with underlying illnesses died.
It's not gonna happen with the same numbers again.
The new variants are more contagious and less deadly.
Most people will recover at home.
Long hauler symptoms are overblown.
Probably a lot of hypochondriacs in that group.
If vaccines work, then those vaccinated have no need to worry.
Those who don't want a vaccine will take their chances.
99% who contract the virus will recover completely.

Handle it like Sweden did and we will all be better off.
Enough already.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:28 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), health insurance premiums are based on the following factors: plan category, the number of individuals on the policy, age, location, and tobacco use. Many insurance companies can factor in tobacco use in order to increase health insurance rates for smokers.

The practice of charging tobacco users more is called tobacco rating. The ACA allows for insurance companies to charge smokers up to 50% more (or premiums that are 1.5 times higher) than non-smokers through a tobacco surcharge.

https://www.healthmarkets.com/conten...alth-insurance

The vast majority of states--43 of 50--charge higher premiums for smokers. Anti-vaxxers should be charged more as well.
sure but half this country is a bunch of fat slobs and they aren't charging more based on that.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:30 PM

7,354 posts, read 3,527,265 times
Quote:
I'm not scaremongering, I'm just trying to explain why we shouldn't all get it at once.
And we wouldn't because people are already vaccinated. The only people left are those who can't get it and those who don't want it and I would assume that those who don't want to outnumber the ones who can't get it.

And not for nothing if I had a serious health condition that prevented me from getting the vaccine and if I got covid I would most certainly die, no amount of mask wearing is going to save me. So my only choice would be to die or to stay in my house basically until I die. Not a fun option, but protecting people who can't get vaccinated in my humble opinion is a weak argument for vaccines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies