Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 07:30 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
As an accountant, we're honestly not that great at math. At least speaking for myself and those I work with. That's why we have the huge adding machines.

The incremental math that gets you to net income isn't as important as HOW you got to net income.

Thanks for clarifying that -- but I thought that most accountants need to at least be able to add and subtract and know how to check for math errors!

I guess I should have known that knowing what deductions someone can take and how to fill out the tax forms is at least as important! All I can say is "Thank goodness for computers and specialized software programs!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2021, 07:34 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nately View Post
Who needs math when we have computers?
If you want to major in computer science or computer engineering, then you will be doing a lot of math in your coursework.

Old 07-16-2021, 07:35 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Even food is racist

French food is now racist, according to professor who studies 'food whiteness' and 'food privileges'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oeEpYdg32E

Old 07-16-2021, 07:35 AM

5,328 posts, read 3,209,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Thanks for clarifying that -- but I thought that most accountants need to at least be able to add and subtract and know how to check for math errors!
Haha it's all good, just trying to lighten it up!

Old 07-16-2021, 07:37 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

I guess I should have known that knowing what deductions someone can take and how to fill out the tax forms is at least as important! All I can say is "Thank goodness for computers and specialized software programs!"
They just look for typos when entering the data. When's the last time your tax preparer broke out pen and paper and checked the math, after entering your tax data into the computer.

Old 07-16-2021, 07:43 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,170,941 times
Seems like the curriculum itself may simply have additions to the instruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
It's pretty simple really.

Math ITSELF is not racist, but the way it is taught, presented, and used, can be racist. The words you use to teach it, the values you say are necessary to know it. Etc...

I had a math teacher in 10th grade who was a racist jerk, and yeah, he helped make me hate math. He would constantly talk about how, if we did not understand the material, we would only ever be able to work McDonalds or as motel staff, like the "illegals." He always directed those comments more at the Hispanic students.
What a shame. I had a 8th grade Math teacher that actually said “Hispanic kids can’t do math.†I never forgot it. Thankfully I aced her class but don’t think she thought much of certain minorities.

Students shouldn’t have to deal with teachers like that while they are trying to learn. Those teachers will be less likely to help certain minority students, creating disparities in the quality of education received.

Old 07-16-2021, 07:47 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,298,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
IQ tests are racist too, because certain groups of people tend to score lower on them. Bottom line, it takes all types of people to make a civilization run. It's time to stop the racism, democrats, and accept that different people have different abilities, and that's fine. Women might be physically weaker. Black males may not be as intelligent. Asian males may not be as physically strong. So what? They all make their contribution to society. Why not embrace our differences? This racist narrative is getting so tiring... as is this push for "equity" as if it's so terrible that one person might not be as good at something as another. So what?
I think this is a good example of why people might feel that Math (or any subject) can be taught in a racially biased manner.

You're suggesting that blacks are less intelligent, and Asians less strong. Both are false.

But to the point of this discussion, if the test is presented in a way that favors certain background or experiences, then it will show those groups in a better light. You should look up the description of Psychometrician's job.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychometrics I used Wikipedia because it's easy, but my career is based on fair testing (nothing to do with race in my career, but I'm familiar with the concept of Psychometrics, and it applies to this discussion).

I'm not sure if your racial bias in intentional or not, but you exhibit why people have backwards views of society.

Simply put, if you measure an octopus on it's ability to climb a tree, they will look dumb. It turns out Octopii are some of the smartest creatures on earth, but we humans don't see it, because we measure intelligence in our own terms. I think you're idiotic view that Black Males are less intelligent is because your view of the world is so narrow that you can't see intelligence if it hit you in the face.

I don't think Math is racist, and I do agree the race situation is being overplayed by all sides. But your dismissal of the facts exhibits either ignorance or racism. Let us know which applies.

Old 07-16-2021, 07:50 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
It's pretty simple really.

Math ITSELF is not racist, but the way it is taught, presented, and used, can be racist. The words you use to teach it, the values you say are necessary to know it. Etc...

I had a math teacher in 10th grade who was a racist jerk, and yeah, he helped make me hate math. He would constantly talk about how, if we did not understand the material, we would only ever be able to work McDonalds or as motel staff, like the "illegals." He always directed those comments more at the Hispanic students.
That's a nice anecdote from days gone by but the proposal talks about a lot more than that by talking about cross discipline learning and looking at other cultures math and so on and so forth. (Starts sounding more like teaching history and social justice.)

I think that most schools at this time already have mechanisms in place to deal with teachers that do the things you describe.

Color me as skeptical but there have been MANY attempts over the years to show *progress* in math for minority students for political reasons and several of them have been dishonest in portraying the success by anything from outright cheating to changing how things are measured.

Old 07-16-2021, 07:59 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
But to the point of this discussion, if the test is presented in a way that favors certain background or experiences, then it...
... will be tossed out by any competent psychometrician. Nobody wants a biased test, and there are statistical methods to weed them out.

Quote:
my career is based on fair testing (nothing to do with race in my career, but I'm familiar with the concept of Psychometrics
If you really were, I wouldn't have needed to explain that to you.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:07 AM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
There is no definitive proof that different races as groups have lower intelligence than the others.
You likely chose your wording very carefully here, hoping that your statement would be interpreted in a way that you would like it to be interpreted, but not exactly the way it is technically worded.

You are correct technically because of your misleading choice of words. BUT, your intent is incorrect. There is certainly proof that different races as groups have lower MEAN intelligence than the others.

Now, in a practical sense, whether or not that makes any real difference is an entirely separate question. But it is what it is and there is no point in trying to deny it, even with sneakily worded sentences.

The bottom line is that there are still lots of blacks who are more intelligent than lots of whites. And there are lots of whites who are more intelligent that lots of blacks. That's the way averages work. It's not an absolute statement (as you were trying to imply but were hoping it wouldn't be noticed), and should never be treated as such. To just say Asians are smarter than whites, and whites are smarter than blacks is simply not true UNLESS you include that word "average" or "mean" in there. And it DOES make a profound difference in the meaning. There are way too many people in this world who insist on categorizing people rather than treating them as individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies