Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 06:58 AM

21,922 posts, read 9,491,642 times

Advertisements

Coming to a school near you… (a FB post).

District _______is considering…
lowest test or paper grade a teacher can give is 50%, even if nothing is done…
Retakes of any test or paper no matter the score…in class and just the parts you didn’t understand
If caught cheating, no academic penalty but get to retake or redo the paper… or just take the 50%
Honor roll still allowed with a failing grade
No extra credit assignments
All in the name of equity.

Thoughts?

This doesn't surprise me. When my daughter was in middle school, she did 11% of her work. I was kind of hoping they would fail her. She DESERVED to fail. When she started high school, she figured out that the work counted and started doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2021, 07:01 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 25 days ago)

27,640 posts, read 16,125,463 times
Oprah~ "Everyone gets a diploma"
Im all for second chances but
Seems par for the course these days. I've seen more incompetence in the last few years than the previous few decades.

Old 07-16-2021, 07:02 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,860 times
grade inflation has been the "thing" for quite some time..i went back for a degree in computer science at age 45 and made the national honor roll...(top five percent)..everybody wants an A

in the "lab" assignments most students grouped in 4-5 people and merely copied results, while i did all my own you could actually tell who would actually get a job in the field

one instructor ex-navy man told me he admired me because i would not give up//(i made him stay late a few times while i lagged behind the exercises.. he had met Donald Rumsfeld twice

and i got his admiration and off-handed compliment

Last edited by elvis44102; 07-16-2021 at 07:13 AM..

Old 07-16-2021, 07:03 AM

21,096 posts, read 19,701,602 times
If a company can't produce results, it is closed and sold. Same should apply to schools. Children should not be victimized by their school.

Old 07-16-2021, 07:07 AM

5,328 posts, read 3,209,309 times
Curves, dropped lowest score, grade manipulation of some sort is embedded in the education system.

The same people complaining are the same people who "don't have time" to home school or run for school board so what are ya gonna do?

Old 07-16-2021, 07:08 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,215,678 times
Wow, but who didn't see this coming? All the kids get a gold star just for showing up and now you don't even have to do anything and you will not get into trouble.

Of course leaving a test blank will still get you an "F" with the 50% so who are they trying to kid? but then again many schools do not even have the lettered rankings anymore. An "A" has been replaced with the term above satisfactory. A "B and C" are Satisfactory and the "D and F" are Below Satisfactory.

What a bunch of nonsense.

We are lucky WW2 is behind us.

Old 07-16-2021, 07:08 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Coming to a school near you… (a FB post).

District _______is considering…
lowest test or paper grade a teacher can give is 50%, even if nothing is done…
Retakes of any test or paper no matter the score…in class and just the parts you didn’t understand
If caught cheating, no academic penalty but get to retake or redo the paper… or just take the 50%
Honor roll still allowed with a failing grade
No extra credit assignments
All in the name of equity.

Thoughts?

This doesn't surprise me. When my daughter was in middle school, she did 11% of her work. I was kind of hoping they would fail her. She DESERVED to fail. When she started high school, she figured out that the work counted and started doing it.
Well, first, I hope that is just a joke, but I think it would be SHAMEFUL if any school district actually adopts this.

Second, I am glad that your daughter figured it out. Some kids just figure that they can get away with a lot without having negative consequences. (It was a losing battle with me when kids were in school because I would try to instill discipline at home only to have my efforts countermanded by the schools -- and we could not afford a private school.) Like you and your daughter, my kids deserved to fail, or at least made to repeat a grade for a month or two and then allowed to join the grade they should have been in, but when I suggested it, I was told, "No, we can't do that. It would be too damaging to their self esteem! The only time we hold kids back is if they agree to be held back.

And, no, I am NOT joking!

Old 07-16-2021, 07:11 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Oprah~ "Everyone gets a diploma"
Im all for second chances but
Seems par for the course these days. I've seen more incompetence in the last few years than the previous few decades.
It would seem that potential employers would need to give all potential employees an actual competency test pertinent to the duties they would have.

And how long do you think THAT would last before there are multiple screaming cries of RACIST!!!

God help America -- because it seems that our leaders on the left are doing everything they can to destroy it!

Old 07-16-2021, 07:17 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
It would seem that potential employers would need to give all potential employees an actual competency test pertinent to the duties they would have.

And how long do you think THAT would last before there are multiple screaming cries of RACIST!!!

God help America -- because it seems that our leaders on the left are doing everything they can to destroy it!

when interviewing for IT position one has to be interviewed by an IT person as recruiters don't know enough to interview...it only takes about ten or twenty questions or less

Old 07-16-2021, 07:40 AM

21,922 posts, read 9,491,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Curves, dropped lowest score, grade manipulation of some sort is embedded in the education system.

The same people complaining are the same people who "don't have time" to home school or run for school board so what are ya gonna do?
Not true. In Illinois, many people stepped up to run for the boards and the teachers' unions came out in full force agains them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies