Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 10:29 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fEVHx-m_YA

-Corrupt government
-Mass influx of illegal immigration with no loyalty to the community
-President turns himself in for corruption
-Government trying to remove firearms from law abiding citizens while supplying government firearms/ammo to gangs
-Ruling party puts massive troop force on streets for CV19 enforcement for 0 presence for riots/looting
-Complete destruction of businesses and private property with no regard to sustainable impact to the community

Looks like the wokester/Antifa/BLM movement has caught on and spread like wild fire and gasoline.

Old 07-17-2021, 11:06 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
South Africa has never had a stellar record for human rights. South Africa was in questionable shape long before that. I've been following what's been going on in South African since 2010. Thabo Mbeki and Jacob Zuma were very corrupt. Racial issues have basically been a fact of life in South Africa from the very beginning. South Africa has been dealing with this stuff for quite some time.

Old 07-17-2021, 11:15 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fEVHx-m_YA

-Corrupt government
-Mass influx of illegal immigration with no loyalty to the community
-President turns himself in for corruption
-Government trying to remove firearms from law abiding citizens while supplying government firearms/ammo to gangs
-Ruling party puts massive troop force on streets for CV19 enforcement for 0 presence for riots/looting
-Complete destruction of businesses and private property with no regard to sustainable impact to the community

Looks like the wokester/Antifa/BLM movement has caught on and spread like wild fire and gasoline.
SMH...this stuff has happened right in our own hemisphere all over Latin America. Americans almost never cared.

But you’re worried about South Africa over on the other side of the world?

Stop it.

Old 07-17-2021, 11:24 AM

3,225 posts, read 1,605,586 times
South Africa right now is showing how you have to create your own law and order autonomous zones if you want to survive anarchy.

Old 07-17-2021, 12:01 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
South Africa right now is showing how you have to create your own law and order autonomous zones if you want to survive anarchy.

That is so true. There are many resorts around the world where the well to do go for a vacation but outside the walls or a few blocks over from the tourist sections the crime and desperation that accompanies poverty is rampant.

I saw this when our cruise ship stopped at Cozumel Mexico, heck I saw it in Vegas off the strip.

When you think about the beautiful beaches and culture of the Dominican Republic it is hard to imagine that just through the jungle and over a mountain or 2 lies the desolation and desperation of Haiti.

South Africa has always been a hot spot of danger, corruption and tumultuous politics where the poor are crushed. We could blame white people but now the region is ruling its own and they are not doing very well.

Others here have pointed to the break downs in society that have caused SA to become what it is and it is very possible that it could happen here in fact we have seen the beginnings of it in some of our cities.

Old 07-17-2021, 02:39 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
That is so true. There are many resorts around the world where the well to do go for a vacation but outside the walls or a few blocks over from the tourist sections the crime and desperation that accompanies poverty is rampant.

I saw this when our cruise ship stopped at Cozumel Mexico, heck I saw it in Vegas off the strip.

When you think about the beautiful beaches and culture of the Dominican Republic it is hard to imagine that just through the jungle and over a mountain or 2 lies the desolation and desperation of Haiti.

South Africa has always been a hot spot of danger, corruption and tumultuous politics where the poor are crushed. We could blame white people but now the region is ruling its own and they are not doing very well.

Others here have pointed to the break downs in society that have caused SA to become what it is and it is very possible that it could happen here in fact we have seen the beginnings of it in some of our cities.
This has always been the way it is. People with money have found ways to seal themselves off from those who aren't them.

You mention the Dominican Republican. There is plenty of crime, poverty, and violence right there in the DR. Pedro Martinez grew up in a tin-roofed shack outside of Santo Domingo.

Interestingly, the Vegas Strip isn't in Las Vegas, but in Paradise and Winchester. Las Vegas has had Bloods and Crips since the 1970s. The state of Nevada had a murder rate of 20 per 100,000 in 1980, the highest for any state that year.

You don't have to stop with Las Vegas. Look at New Orleans. People go there to visit the French Quarter and for Mardi Gras. Get outside of the tourist areas and you can find PLENTY of poverty and violence, gang violence. New Orleans has been the murder capital of America several times. Hurricane Katrina basically exposed how much craziness went on in New Orleans. I visited in the late 1990s when I was a kid. New Orleans outside of the French Quarter just felt grimy to me.

Haiti itself has long been an example of people trying to keep themselves from getting killed. Petionville is a suburb of Port-Au-Prince. Petionville has barbed wire on its gated and has guards. It is basically an enclave for many of Haiti's elites. But even this couldn't stop then-President of Haiti Jovenel Moise from getting assassinated in his own home, on 7 July 2021. Last year, a Haitian lawyer was murdered in front of his home in Petionville.

Many people look at South Africa's breakdown as a sign of what could happen in America. Many neighborhoods in American cities are already there. Detroit is a good example of this. Baltimore is like this. And South Africa has long operated quite badly. During Apartheid era South Africa, there was plenty of crime. It just didn't affected the White minority all that much. Most of it stayed in the Black townships, often by force. The police back then were quite abusive towards Blacks. South Africa had a murder rate in the 30s per 100,000 during the 1960s. It spiked rapidly during the 1970s and 1980s, and peaked around 1992-1993.

Apartheid is over, and that's for the best. However, South Africa has never truly gotten its act together. It was chaos during apartheid, and it's chaos now.

In many American cities, gated communities are a sign you have alot of money and want to shield yourself from the "outside world". In South Africa, it's a necessity. Barbed wire on gated, private security, this is where the South African middle class, both Black and White, live.

Argentina is the same way to an extent. I watched an episode of World's Strictest Parents. Two British teens were sent to Argentina to get straightened out by some strict parents. The teens had to got through gates to get to their new home. Very close to that middle-upper class gated community was a slum.

Rio de Janeiro. It's a major tourism hotspot. Beaches, samba, Carnaval, soccer. The favelas, the slums, are up in the hills. The violence, the police brutality, the abject poverty, it's up there. Gated communities are a necessity there.

Old 07-17-2021, 04:58 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
South Africa has never had a stellar record for human rights. South Africa was in questionable shape long before that. I've been following what's been going on in South African since 2010. Thabo Mbeki and Jacob Zuma were very corrupt. Racial issues have basically been a fact of life in South Africa from the very beginning. South Africa has been dealing with this stuff for quite some time.
There have been a lot of other social strains.
Drought was one; Johannesburg ran out of water a few years ago, as I recall.

There's never a single cause that causes a nation to fall apart, and not all causes are the same. Nor are they all as intense.

South Africa's story hasn't ended yet. I sure would want to predict any outcome until the end comes, as it's a lot harder for a nation to fall apart than lots of folks think it is.

Despite their problems, I'm sure there's still more that's keeping all the citizens South Africans united than the forces that are working them over trying to break them up.

Old 07-17-2021, 05:45 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,458,246 times
I can see us becoming a temperate climate Brazil/South Africa/Honduras hybrid in the near future.

Old 07-17-2021, 06:00 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Very often, I wonder about those who only NOW start to care what goes on in South Africa. I start considering that some people are thinking "South Africa was better under Apartheid". Under Apartheid it wasn't good for everyone.
It was better under apartheid. Despite an embargo against it since 1959 it was the the most prosperous country on the continent, even ahead of the OPEC nations. When the whites were removed from Zambia and Zimbabwe the countries fell into ruin as well, now the same thing will happen to South Africa.

Old 07-17-2021, 06:09 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
It was better under apartheid. Despite an embargo against it since 1959 it was the the most prosperous country on the continent, even ahead of the OPEC nations. When the whites were removed from Zambia and Zimbabwe the countries fell into ruin as well, now the same thing will happen to South Africa.
It was better under Apartheid for whom? 8% of the population? Perish the thought. Those days are OVER.

South Africa now belongs to all of its citizens, just like it’s supposed to. If it goes to hell in a handbasket, too bad. The white minority government should’ve shared power when they were in a position of strength.
As for Zambia and Zimbabwe, OH WELL!! Same thing. Should’ve shared power before your hands were forced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies