Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 05:47 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Trump selected Pence to help solidify the evangelicals on his side who understandably had some qualms about him given his background (Access Hollywood tape, etc.). Neither Christie nor Gingrich would have done that. Also, with Christie, I have the sense he may not have been enough of a "yes man" for Trump who values personal loyalty above other characteristics. I like Christie and had hoped to see him as Attorney General.

Shouldn't have mattered.

Pence or no Pence, evangelicals should never have supported anyone who won't ask god for forgiveness.

Their acceptance made them hypocrites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2021, 05:12 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times

Speaking of Christie, he has been in the media a lot over the past few weeks promoting his new book which prompted speculation about a possible 2024 presidential run. Here is a recent interview with Trevor Noah, in which he talks about him and Pence being the top two picks for Trump's VP slot in 2016.

I guess I'd go on the record and say that Christie would cream Biden in a 2024 hypothetical matchup. Personality and policy-wise, Christie is basically a smarter version of Trump.

"Donald Trump with a brain" is how I would describe Chris Christie.

Old 11-19-2021, 05:18 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Shouldn't have mattered.

Pence or no Pence, evangelicals should never have supported anyone who won't ask god for forgiveness.

Their acceptance made them hypocrites.
The Evangelicals think Trump is God.

Old 11-19-2021, 05:58 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Christy is an obnoxious, disgusting fat slob and Gingrich is a dorky looking guy who sounds like Kermit the Frog.

I don't think either one of them would have drawn flies compared to Mike Pence.
It is "better to look good than to do good".

I do like the liberal distance for "obnoxious, disgusting fat slob". Focus on his IDEAS, not his physical characteristics. Would you do the same for a person of color??

Gingrich should have been President. Read his books.....if you think "sounds like Kermit the Frog". Anyway, that will allow you to focus on the IDEAS rather than the person.

Old 11-19-2021, 09:24 PM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Default Should Trump have picked Christie or Gingrich as VP instead of Pence? (McCain, attorney)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Looking back, would things have been better for Trump if he opted for one of his other top two VP choices (Chris Christie or Newt Gingrich) instead of Mike Pence in 2016?

I've always considered Pence a good loyal solider, but after witnessing his cowardliness in certifying the 2020 election results for Joe Biden, I wonder if Christie or Gingrich would have rolled over for the DC elites like Pence did.
Cannot speak for the others but I would not have picked Pence as my first choice for Vice President.

Why? Its not because Pence is a bad guy or a negative like Kamala Harris. But he did not exactly add anything to the ticket either. Not very well known, not very charismatic and not even from an important swing state (Indiana was probably going Republican anyway).

If I was Trump I would have been looking at Marco Rubio (Florida) or Ted Cruz (Texas). Both are Hispanic and are Senators from important states that the Republicans need to win.

Nikki Haley, the former governor of South Carolina would have been a bold choice as well.

Old 11-19-2021, 09:47 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,238,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Looking back, would things have been better for Trump if he opted for one of his other top two VP choices (Chris Christie or Newt Gingrich) instead of Mike Pence in 2016?

I've always considered Pence a good loyal solider, but after witnessing his cowardliness in certifying the 2020 election results for Joe Biden, I wonder if Christie or Gingrich would have rolled over for the DC elites like Pence did.
No. Pence was as good as it gets in 2016. He served his purpose.

I don't think Pence is presidential material, but I also don't think Pence rolled over for DC elites. I think he just leans more towards that way.

I'd preferred Ben Carson as VP, but that wasn't going to get the attention of the ruling class and Trump may not have won 2016.

The political landscape will be different in 2024.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies