Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2021, 12:44 PM

6,669 posts, read 2,975,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
All of this. Its only been about 60 years since Jim Crow and Black folk have made amazing gains in that short amount of time. You can smell the fear in these threads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
That is ridiculous. What is there to fear?

Some people are just jerks and you're tying to find some sort of deep psychological reason for it like 'They fear for their status', they can't even think on that level.
It's just a simple way to put opposition on the defensive.

Can pretty much say any contrary opinion is born out fear or racism or privilege. But ultimately it just means they don't have anything substantial to refute you, even if there IS refutable evidence, which is why they drop it and change the goalpost.

Old 07-19-2021, 12:50 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Worse.

North Africa was French colonies
West Africa were English colonies
Central Africa were Belgian colonies
South Africa were English colonies with Dutch citizens
East Africa were English colonies.
The horn of Africa were Italian colonies
Thats actually pretty normal, the entire world was basically colonized at one point. If you weren’t colonized, you were doing the colonizing.

You can’t blame Europe forever, because everyone was a colony. And some turned out far better than others: See Hong Kong and Singapore.

Old 07-19-2021, 12:52 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
It's just a simple way to put opposition on the defensive.

Can pretty much say any contrary opinion is born out fear or racism or privilege. But ultimately it just means they don't have anything substantial to refute you, even if there IS refutable evidence, which is why they drop it and change the goalpost.
My adopted siblings fall into the category of poor whites when they were coming up that had no blacks to compare to for some sort of 'status' that is a NARRATIVE that is pushed to ignore that there is a section of whites disadvantaged in exactly the same ways as many blacks are.

OR the person pushing the narrative literally isn't aware. The black activist I've been talking to, that is one thing he was willing to listen about.

I said if you're in a shack with an outhouse, as still exists today, you are NOT worried about your 'status', you want food to eat.

And when the entire nation is black this and gay/trans that, and all you want is your factory or whatever menial job to eat, you vote for Trump because he wants to give you a JOB, not because you're racist, and to them an inner city apt with a toilet that flushes paid for by federal dollars would be a step up. So they are not seeing and 'status' or 'leg up', they are seeing the opposite.

It's a complicated world!

Old 07-19-2021, 12:53 PM

6,669 posts, read 2,975,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Thats actually pretty normal, the entire world was basically colonized at one point. If you weren’t colonized, you were doing the colonizing.

You can’t blame Europe forever, because everyone was a colony. And some turned out far better than others: See Hong Kong and Singapore.
This is why in movies the bad guys have British Accents,.lol.

"You may fire when ready."

Old 07-19-2021, 01:01 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,832,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDproAV View Post
Is the system rigged against them? Or is the system giving them a pass? Is education not valued in the black community enough? Is 'gang culture' influential? Fatherless children? I've heard everything.

But it's not just here. Many countries with a significant black population, as well as darker-skinned latinos (that keep statistics) show elevated crime.

What's going on? How can we fix this?

** edit to add: for those asking what 'Let's be real' means, it's referring to a real problem which remains largely absent from media and public discourse.
If you compare the Intentional Homicide Rate map to the I/Q distribution map you can see a clear pattern.

https://www.worlddata.info/iq-by-country.php

Low I/Q and high violent crime are usually companions, worldwide.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 07-19-2021 at 01:13 PM..

Old 07-19-2021, 01:07 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Maybe it boils down to being just TRIBAL

Old 07-19-2021, 01:07 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,309,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Stats: https://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2018/ar...assistance.htm

Blacks are not the main recipients of welfare, but they do have a SLIGHTLY higher percentage. They make up about 13.6% of all families and just under 25% recieve some benefits. To my earlier posting, it's more governed by poverty than color. Blacks are more likely to live in poverty, thus more likely to receive benefits, and have more cards stacked against them "getting ahead".

But your carefully worded point is correct, WHEN INDEXED, they are more likely (but not the main recipients).

Another interesting fact in the stats, that kinda surprised me: Blacks are (slightly) more likely to have a two parent family, and whites are slightly less likely, based on their percentage of families in the population. I've been listening to Right-Wingers tell me the opposite for years, and never thought to fact check them.
I don't think it says this, per se.

It says Blacks are 13.6% of all households in the US, and 13.9% of the assistance receivers that have 2-parent households. Is that what you're referencing?

I think we'd also need to reference Hispanic households, which on the top-line fall under "White and all other".

Old 07-19-2021, 01:12 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
I think the black community and their leaders are the problem. For over a decade they focus more on a tiny small % of blacks being killed by cops which is really small and ignore the black innocent black people being killed by the violence. They add fuel to the fire by glorifying gangster rap music with the violence and lack of respect for women. As long that you have BET and letting Hollywood exploit bad behavior and glorifying it then the killings will continue.

They can remember George Floyd and make him a hero and a statue but they can't remember the name of the last honor black student killed by the violence in Chicago or in many cities.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/police-arr...ory?id=8696090

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/derrion...dent-to-death/

There are many more of black honor students getting killed by these thugs running the cities and nothing from the people running these cities. They just glorify the violence in music and movies.
BLACK THUG CULTURE is the problem...but Blacks are very clandestine. THEY'll never admit this is the problem...

Old 07-19-2021, 01:17 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Maybe it boils down to being just TRIBAL
We all are. To an extent that is a natural human thing. Evolved people, and I mean individuals not groups, can get past that easily.

Old 07-19-2021, 01:22 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,002,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Young blacks grow up with the idea that guns and drugs are normal. I saw a poll where most did not expect to live to 30.
More fake news. Where is this poll and who exactly did they poll? No one polled the blacks I grew up with in my neighborhood that are now Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers, etc.

"Let's go to the poorest hood and poll these 10 black kids". To you, that's "Most". I also bet you think that the entire continent of Africa is mud huts and dirt roads based on those late night infomercials?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies