Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 02:34 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
no. It's not the same.

It's not o.k. because "they did that"...

Portland can do what they want to do. This was the United States capitol.

I really wonder....What would have happened that day if they'd found Nancy Pelosi or Mike Pence????
You can't prosecute based on "what if's"

Example: What if somebody inspired by Kathy Griffin succeeds in tracking down and beheading Donald Trump next week? Would that justify prosecuting Griffin as an accessory to the crime? What if Kathy Griffin manages to do it? Is the USA willing to go down the path of pre-crime prosecution now?

None of us actually knows what would have happened if they'd have found Nancy Pelosi or Mike Pence. It's just as likely that they'd have come to their senses done nothing. This is why you can't prosecute based upon "what if". You can prosecute on the basis of breaking and entering and illegal trespass because these things actually happened. Demanding the harshest possible punishment on the basis of "what if" is just politically tribal nonsense.

Bear in mind that BLM and Antifa did indeed attack Washington DC, doing substantially more widespread damage in the process. That does fall under the same jurisdiction. The Capitol Building was locked down like Fort Knox, so the BLM insurrectionists did not attack it. They did try for the White House and Supreme Court. Both of these are also parts of the United States government. So where is the obsessive manhunt to track them down and lock them up for years and years?? They most certainly did try to overthrow the US government, so why are they being treated any differently?

No, instead the Left endlessly mocks Donald Trump for heading to the bunker for safety. Funny how nobody in Congress is being mocked for essentially doing the same thing. Blatant mindless tribalism.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:38 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
You can't prosecute based on "what if's"

Example: What if somebody inspired by Kathy Griffin succeeds in tracking down and beheading Donald Trump next week? Would that justify prosecuting Griffin as an accessory to the crime? What if Kathy Griffin manages to do it? Is the USA willing to go down the path of pre-crime prosecution now?

None of us actually knows what would have happened if they'd have found Nancy Pelosi or Mike Pence. It's just as likely that they'd have come to their senses done nothing. This is why you can't prosecute based upon "what if". You can prosecute on the basis of breaking and entering and illegal trespass because these things actually happened. Demanding the harshest possible punishment on the basis of "what if" is just politically tribal nonsense.

Bear in mind that BLM and Antifa did indeed attack Washington DC, doing substantially more widespread damage in the process. That does fall under the same jurisdiction. The Capitol Building was locked down like Fort Knox, so the BLM insurrectionists did not attack it. They did try for the White House and Supreme Court. Both of these are also parts of the United States government. So where is the obsessive manhunt to track them down and lock them up for years and years?? They most certainly did try to overthrow the US government, so why are they being treated any differently?

No, instead the Left endlessly mocks Donald Trump for heading to the bunker for safety. Funny how nobody in Congress is being mocked for essentially doing the same thing. Blatant mindless tribalism.
Sure you can. That's what "attempted" in front of the crime means.

Or the crime of depraved disregard for human life, which doesn't actually end in death.

It's all about "what ifs".

And no one is mocking Trump for hiding thinking he was doing it because he was afraid - no, he hid because he wanted them to kill Pence and he would be blameless because hey, he was not leading them at that point. The fact that he didn't call them off, makes him guilty for the deaths that occurred that day.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:39 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Saying go peacefully means go overthrow the government to the lefties because they have no word comprehension at all.. the dems are looney tunes... and when the leftists marxists an antifa burn and loot and 2000 police officers get injured by leftists,, that is peaceful. They have it bass ackwards as usual.
But too many of them did not go peacefully, did they? You know, the ones who bashed in windows and attacked Capitol Police officers. They need to be punished.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:41 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Saying go peacefully means go overthrow the government to the lefties because they have no word comprehension at all.. the dems are looney tunes... and when the leftists marxists an antifa burn and loot and 2000 police officers get injured by leftists,, that is peaceful. They have it bass ackwards as usual.
That whole "go peacefully" crap was just so he couldn't be prosecuted for leading an angry murderous mob, which is what he did.

The rest of his speech was a rousing call to arms. And they heard it, the way he intended.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:43 PM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
He should get a statue. With an American flag.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:45 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
But too many of them did not go peacefully, did they? You know, the ones who bashed in windows and attacked Capitol Police officers. They need to be punished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That whole "go peacefully" crap was just so he couldn't be prosecuted for leading an angry murderous mob, which is what he did.

The rest of his speech was a rousing call to arms. And they heard it, the way he intended.
The right believes those insurrectionists are patriots. They watched that unfold in barely contained glee, they were actively hoping for a revolution. They consider them heroes & thusly, consider any punishment as unjust , unfair & unamerican.

Oh I suspect those who actively tries to destroy the capitol will get more than 8 months, rightfully so.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:47 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
If murderers and rapists are let out with no bail (that's a surprise to me) then no, that's not ok.
Well it is happening and it will get worse. Many are illegal aliens . In the coming months maybe you too will experience what I did in NJ.

Illegals using peoples yards as a toilet. Sleeping on porches, behind bushes. having a trailer stolen but having a great police force watching and running the plates and putting it back in my driveway. A beautiful beach town and I moved. Property values high because it has a marina and a beachfront. I left because I could not stand the criminal element and after a while did not feel safe . Too many walking down the street intoxicated .

Old 07-19-2021, 02:58 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,827,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
8 months for trying to overthrow the government? Seems kind of lenient?
Hum, perhaps the courts knew this was not their intent..

People are stupid to think a conspirator to overthrow the US Government would only get 8 months.....
He wasn't charged with trying to overthrow the government. Straight from the OP's article: "He pleaded guilty to a single felony count of obstructing an official proceeding."

So who's the stupid one now?

Old 07-19-2021, 03:05 PM

3,220 posts, read 1,604,851 times
The black bloc Antifa crew is out every week violently denying people their rights, and while masked.

They are the new KKK, but in black.

Old 07-19-2021, 03:16 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Sure you can. That's what "attempted" in front of the crime means.

Or the crime of depraved disregard for human life, which doesn't actually end in death.

It's all about "what ifs".
Attempted murder must actually be attempted in order to be attempted murder. Lesser charges such as conspiracy to commit violence might apply, but nobody gets life or a death sentence for merely saying that they wanna kill somebody or another.

Quote:
And no one is mocking Trump for hiding thinking he was doing it because he was afraid - no, he hid because he wanted them to kill Pence and he would be blameless because hey, he was not leading them at that point. The fact that he didn't call them off, makes him guilty for the deaths that occurred that day.
Clearly you don't know what I'm talking about. Let me refresh your memory:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/125381...police-graves/
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/117529...s-white-house/
https://www.foxnews.com/us/more-than...washington-d-c
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...h-vote-n917351

Quote:
BLM Leader said, "Im at the point where I'm ready to put these police in a f***ing grave," he said. "I'm at the point where I want to burn the f***ing White House down."
Other examples of BLM attacking the government of the United States:
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...house-n2575230

What I believe I'm hearing from the Left is essentially "It's only okay when we do it." By all means, restore my faith in humanity a bit and prove me wrong. How many BLM terrorists are going to prison for attacking the White House?

This much seems to be clear: There was absolutely criminal lack of police and law enforcement present on January 6th. Offers of help from the National Guard had been offered and refused. The Capitol Police left the building wide open. It's as though they wanted the building to be attacked. Trump would have been in quite the pickle at that point. Any action or words he'd have said would have been interpreted as Trump initiating an actual overthrow of the government. I don't know what options he had other than just sitting tight and riding it out ... though he certain did condemn the riot as soon as he got a brief window of use of his social media accounts.

Tell me, what do you think Trump should have done differently and how would it not have resulted in the knee-jerk reaction that he was attempting to overthrow the government? I'm very curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies