Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 04:55 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenZBoyo1997 View Post
Just because you are vaccinated doesn't mean you can't get COVID-19.

You still can, you just have a better chance of fighting it off.
This is exactly correct. The vaccine gives everyone a jump start in their immune system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
It was a typo, but regardless as number of vaccinated people increases, so will the percentage (NOT NUMBER) of vaccinated people hospitalized.

Example: If 99% of the population is vaccinated, the percentage of hospitalizations comprised of vaccinated individuals will be very high, given that almost everyone is vaccinated. However, that speaks nothing of the actual number of hospitalizations, which very well may be very low.

Country X has vaccinated 100% of its population. Also, the percentage of hospitalized cases is also 100%. Country X has a population is 25 million with 200 hospitalized Covid cases.

See?
Good example of the base rate fallacy.

One example would be that if 100 people are green and 10 people are yellow.:

If there are four people in the hospital, two green and two yellow, one could say that 50% of the sick were green and 50% were yellow. It could look like the greens and yellows were equally ill, or that one is no healthier being green than yellow.

But in real terms that would mean 2% of the greens were hospitalized while 20% of the yellow were.

A figure like 60-40 hospitalized (as in the reference on this thread) by itself does not tell the story. One needs to know what percentage of each base group are hospitalized to get the true picture.

Old 07-19-2021, 05:26 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
What we need, I think, is another Diamond Princess type of situation in which a ship with about 2,000 people (half vaccinated and half not vaccinated) on it, with everyone NOT infected except for one person known to be infected with the Delta variant showing only very mild symptoms and one other person known to be infected with the Delta variant but showing no symptoms. This person who would be free to interact with people for about two weeks just as s/he normally would. Daily testing of everyone on board would be required, with only those showing symptoms being taken off the ship (immediately) for treatment in a hospital and quarantined. After one month, there would be a quarantine on the ship, and then after another month, everyone would be free to leave the ship, and what would be done with those who were then infected would be determined by the data. (Meaning how much of a risk an asymptomatic person would actually be to other people.). During these two months offshore, "the numbers" would be released on a weekly basis to the public, with daily reports given to WHO and the CDC.

Implementing this plan would, I think, give a TRUE picture of the seriousness of the Delta variant, and the 100% factual data that would be collected would be worth a fortune, I think!

Of course, the participation would be completely voluntary, but I would bet that many people would volunteer if they were paid a significant amount (say, $10,000 a month for passengers and $20,000 a month for the cooks, maids, etc.) and given, a free $500,000 life insurance policy, plus free medical care if they became sick. Yes, this plan would be very expensive, but I think it would be worth it if it could prevent another year of restrictions and kids not being able to go to school -- or, conversely, being able to convince people that restrictions and possibly even a total lockdown for a period of time is actually necessary and/or convince people of the the effectiveness of vaccines -- and I think that it would be much less expensive than the fallout from COVID-19 has been.

(And, yes, if I was younger and I did not have any children and I was unemployed -- and if not for the fact that I personally would be bored even after five days on a cruise ship -- I would gladly volunteer! In fact, change the cruise ship to an isolated mountain resort with my own cozy condo, and you could definitely count me in!

Last edited by katharsis; 07-19-2021 at 05:36 PM..

Old 07-19-2021, 08:54 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I'd really like to see the numbers on these things. How many vaccinated people die? How does their rate of death compared to the unvaccinated? What are the comparative rates of permanent damage to a person's health?

For some reason, I never see anyone publishing the raw numbers on that kind of thing. Just, "you're better off vaccinated." Don't tell me. Show me!!
I'm 81, have diabetes, high blood pressure, atrial fibrillation, have had a heart attack and have chronic kidney disease. I've had two doses of the Pfizer vaccine and had minimal side affects from the injections. If this vaccine kills people why am I still alive? I must be special.

Here is some info.

Quote:
The death rate from COVID-19 in the U.S. is rising steadily for the first time in months as the nation grapples with a renewed burst of cases in what's become "a pandemic of the unvaccinated.

"Unvaccinated Americans account for virtually all recent COVID-19 hospitalizations and deaths," said Jeff Zients, the White House COVID-19 response coordinator. "Each COVID-19 death is tragic, and those happening now are even more tragic because they are preventable."
https://www.npr.org/2021/07/16/10170...e-unvaccinated

Last edited by sanspeur; 07-19-2021 at 09:06 PM..

Old 07-19-2021, 09:02 PM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
You have to understand that the Delta variant( if it actually even exists) would be a more contagious but considerably less virulent strain than Covid 19. That's how virus mutate. Kill the host, that's the end of the line for the virus. Make the host sick but be more contagious, the virus spreads. Plus Covid wasn't nearly as lethal as we were lied to anyway. That and they're still using the very unreliable testing which inflated the number of Covid cases for an entire year. Add on that the scare program of lies meant as a last gasp push to get people to be duped into getting the vaccines and you'd just laugh at the insanity of all this BS if it didn't come across as so sinister.
But, yes, those who had Covid now have better natural immunity than those who got the vaccine. And without the potentially lethal and debilitating side effects of the vaccines.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:11 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I'm 81, have diabetes, high blood pressure, atrial fibrillation, have had a heart attack and have chronic kidney disease. I've had two doses of the Pfizer vaccine and had minimal side affects from the injections. If this vaccine kills people why am I still alive? I must be special.

Here is some info. https://www.npr.org/2021/07/16/10170...e-unvaccinated
Sounds like we're practically twins when it comes to health problems, except that I'm 46. Okay, a little bit different. I have diabetes, I've had cancer twice, I've got hyperthyroidism, I've had triple-bypass surgery on my heart. I also had the Pfizer vaccine and haven't seen any ill effects as yet at all. With my list of commodities, getting the vaccine was a no-brainer. I do strongly lean towards everyone over 20 getting vaccinated, but I do stop short of making it a matter of coercion.

I also two kids. One is 10 and the other is 8. Getting them vaccinated isn't making much sense to me. Vaccine side effects are rare, but severe cases of Covid-19 in children their ages is even rarer. Now some are making the argument that getting vaccinated prevents my kids from catching and spreading the disease. We already know this isn't true. Vaccinated people can and do catch the disease quite easily and then proceed to infect others. So vaccinating little kids isn't going to stop them from spreading the disease.

Sometimes vaccination makes the most sense. Sometimes it doesn't.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:36 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Before the vaccine 1250 were dying EVERY day in the UK, now with similar infection rates (thanks to the Delta variant) the numbers are around 30 a day, not only that there are currently NO restrictions in the UK and FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE THE PANDEMIC BEGAN in the UK the infection rate has FALLEN DESPITE there being no restrictions.

The UK is almost 'back to normal' ALL THANKS TO THE VACCINE.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:40 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
From your link:

He posted: "Correcting a statistic I gave at the press conference today, 19 July.

"About 60% of hospitalisations from COVID are not from double-vaccinated people, rather 60% of hospitalisations from COVID are currently from unvaccinated people."

Old 07-22-2021, 02:09 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
It will only get worse, imagining that the vax was going to be some sort of
game-changer is obviously not coming into fruition.

That is how viruses survive, mutate in-order to more strongly resist the effects of
what is trying to kill them off.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
It will only get worse, imagining that the vax was going to be some sort of
game-changer is obviously not coming into fruition.
The vaccine is already a game changer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies