Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 08:50 AM

21,880 posts, read 25,146,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I have a relative that is being told they have to start going back into the office which will eat like 90 minutes out of each day and they are in a professional position and basically are looking at alternatives to continuing working for that employer.

I can see it for some jobs but for others it's ridiculous, especially if you're already trained and don't have an on-site staff to manage etc.

Imagine having a staff in 5 different cities and being told you need to waste 90 minutes a day to go to another part of the city so that you can video conference with them from there instead of your home?

We're going to find out quick which of the companies out there are lean and mean and which are dinosaurs.
I wouldn't really put a lot of stock in invidiuals claiming they're just as efficient or more efficient WFH as going in to the office. There's just that conflict of interest. I've been doing it for years and it's challenging. I definitely prefer to but I also know when I'm lying to myself. I'm definitely more efficient when I'm not WFH, which really doesn't mean anything for someone else.

I'd definitely rather do meetings in person than Zoom. They're already unproductive enough even when you do them in person. On Zoom they just tend to be someone blabbering on about something most people present don't care about so they're multi-tasking and getting some work done that's on a deadline with Zoom minimized or on a second monitor. Which that's pretty normal for meetings. Generally 90% of them are completely irrelevant to me and I can ignore it just as much as everyone else does. It's that last ten percent. John, can you talk about XYZ. John? John? John, stop watching cat videos, damnit. Just have to balance that. If it takes most people two hours to drive to a 90 minute meeting and then two hours to drive back... well, you've shot an entire day's work to go to a 90-minute meeting that chances are you really didn't even need to be in to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 08:51 AM

4,298 posts, read 1,556,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You can believe that there's no difference in productivity, but you'd be wrong. Offices cost money. A lot of it. Rent, insurance, utilities, maintenance - they're not cheap. No business is asking their employees to come back unless there's a sound business case for doing so.
The business owners took the risk in signing that lease knowing that work from home is a viable alternative, and has been for the past decade. Office real estate will take a huge hit in the next few years IMO.

I was merely talking from my own experience regarding productivity, my employer has seen an upturn in profitability, more sales, more enterprise. The one side that has suffered is one-on-one management, I agree with you there, and indeed some people who did not want to work at home chose to go into the office on a permanent basis. As someone with three children, I did, on several weeks did so, because three young boys having nerf wars isn't ideal in a work environment.

Old 07-21-2021, 08:55 AM

3,748 posts, read 1,443,918 times
With inflation and prices going up. The newly passed 15 dollars an hour is dead. Time for 20 dollars an hour.

Old 07-21-2021, 08:58 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I know several people who have successfully worked from home for a year and a half who aren’t happy about resuming 45-60 minute commutes once again. If their employers aren’t willing to offer some flexibility, they’ll go elsewhere.

Covid taught us that working from home good & truly WORKS for millions of Americans.
True. I am not sure why liberals aren't capitalizing on this fact more. L/R should both get loud about it. Not only is there huge cost savings to employees but there are noticeable improvements to the environment with less cars on the road. It's like getting part of the New Green deal they talk about for free.

But no...the powers that be want everyone going back to a 1950's work model in the year 2021. Modern technology that we are all supposed to embrace doesn't apply here I guess. Makes no sense to drive, park, go into an office for 8 hours just to sit in a cubicle or office to work on a computer.

BTW, every essential worker I have talked to loves the WFH idea too. Their own commutes have been greatly reduced if not cut in half due to less cars on the the road. Also it's much safer - less cars mean less drivers to get in accidents with.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
And an extra $350 A MONTH from the government for children 2-17 and couples making $150,000. Poverty level has sure gone up!

I have no recollection of outrage when in 2017, the Republican majority approved doubling the annual refundable child tax credit.

That the credit was again increased and now refunded monthly by a Democrat majority and the world ends.

The poorest area of the US is Kiryas s Joel, NY. It also has the youngest population because people have 6- 10- 12 children, they cannot afford without government welfare. Most of these births are paid for by Medicaid and lead to generational dependence.

The per child tax credit, whether annual or monthly, has no impact on the household’s qualification for other welfare benefits.

I oppose financially rewarding people for childbearing, a personal choice

Old 07-21-2021, 09:21 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
I know several people who have successfully worked from home for a year and a half who aren’t happy about resuming 45-60 minute commutes once again. If their employers aren’t willing to offer some flexibility, they’ll go elsewhere.

Covid taught us that working from home good & truly WORKS for millions of Americans.
And not working at all pays just as well. And now those people have more money coming in each month just for having a kid. So, not working at all is paying much better then the pay cut of working that 40 hour a week job.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:23 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I have no recollection of outrage when in 2017, the Republican majority approved doubling the annual refundable child tax credit.

That the credit was again increased and now refunded monthly by a Democrat majority and the world ends.

The poorest area of the US is Kiryas s Joel, NY. It also has the youngest population because people have 6- 10- 12 children, they cannot afford without government welfare. Most of these births are paid for by Medicaid and lead to generational dependence.

The per child tax credit, whether annual or monthly, has no impact on the household’s qualification for other welfare benefits.

I oppose financially rewarding people for childbearing, a personal choice
Quite a few taxpayers actually receive more money after filing their taxes then the taxes they paid in. For them, filing their income taxes each years is just free money, like winning the lottery.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:24 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
100%. My commute is an hour, that's an hour I could be working and saving money, not contributing to congestion.
My commute is an hour and ten minutes on a good day. I would be ok with working from home, I could get more done and have more free time to boot. My employer doesn't allow telecommuting.

If a comparable job came along that was closer to home or would let me work remotely I would seriously consider it. If they offered more money too I would be obligated to try it, there is no way in good conscience I could ignore the chance. That's just how it is.

We have had a lot of disruptions in the marketplace and people are reexamining their options and making new lifestyle choices. Some are going back for more education.

Bravo!

Old 07-21-2021, 09:25 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Occupational mobility is typically a sign of a good economy and consumer confidence.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:26 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:

People have had a taste of freedom and a chance to look over their choices. It's not much of a silver lining, but I'll take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies