Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 10:24 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
Having to work from home to avoid a long commute is not a company problem but a housing and public transportation problem. Those city planning issues need to be addressed.

If you chose to live far away from work, or you chose a job too far from home, that was your choice and maybe you want to change that.

I have never driven more than 20 minutes on surface roads to work, and my longest commute of 45 minutes was by train when I lived within walking distance of the station. You knew the location of the job and home. It's a choice you made for yourself.
The balance of power seems to have shifted in the information worker age. If the employer wants someone close at hand so he can keep an eye on him, lest he does something not work related on his billing hour then the employer will have to pay more to keep the worker from moving to a company which doesn't feel the need to have billable hour security looking over the information age worker's shoulder.

However that home worker will be in ever increasing competition with the English speaking worker at a screen in the Philippines and India who has even a lower cost of living, thus need for higher compensation, than the local worker has even when you drop out commuting cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 10:24 AM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Its crazy how upset some people get when they see government helping its citizens.
It is not the role of government to give money to its citizens. In order for the government to GIVE money to one person, it has to first TAKE it from another.

Old 07-21-2021, 10:26 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Not to mention a lot of office workers who have discovered they can do their jobs at home, save gas money, spend more time with their loved ones and are now being told to come back to the office, despite productivity staying the same.

Working from home gave a lot of people a bit more freedom in their working week, and in a lot of cases it seems arbitrary to make workers come in.
Sometimes true. Sometimes not.

A good number of the claims of same productivity are BS. Probably varies quite a bit by industry.

Old 07-21-2021, 10:52 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Unreal. This isn't about anything other than control. I'll bet that's not even a company policy - her manager is probably pushing this.
I know that can occur but in this case it's a BIG company so they're just pushing policy down blindly and their manager is working to make it work out.

P.S. The relative in question is older and *extremely* savy. I won't go into more than that.

Old 07-21-2021, 10:54 AM

87 posts, read 43,613 times
This is why we need some sort of basic healthcare/liability. People aren't willingly to work for such low pay and no benefits when they can go get low pay and some benefits from the large scale employers like Amazon, BOA, Costco, Target, CVS, etc.

The restuarant labor model is broken and small businesses can't compete with the wages and benefits offered by Chiptole or other fast casual chains.

Old 07-21-2021, 10:56 AM

87 posts, read 43,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
It is not the role of government to give money to its citizens. In order for the government to GIVE money to one person, it has to first TAKE it from another.
Right..... Which is how governments have been working for millennia..... How do you think we have all these roads, militaty, infrastructure, etc.....

Old 07-21-2021, 10:59 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
The one thing I do know about all of this is that the free market will figure this out.

Heck, ironically, many companies where pushing WFM prior to covid for cost savings.

That being said, some large, established companies however have long-term leases or buildings that mean that shrinking space needs isn't really saving them any money so they're not incented by being able to save millions on office space like other companies are.

Old 07-21-2021, 11:21 AM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Not to mention a lot of office workers who have discovered they can do their jobs at home, save gas money, spend more time with their loved ones and are now being told to come back to the office, despite productivity staying the same.

Working from home gave a lot of people a bit more freedom in their working week, and in a lot of cases it seems arbitrary to make workers come in.

I'm seeing this where I work. The company is starting to hint that people will be asked to come back to work even though they've been successfully working remotely since March 2020. These are highly paid, salaried professionals. Our attrition rate is climbing rapidly and the company can't seem to make the connection.

Last edited by YourWakeUpCall; 07-21-2021 at 11:30 AM..

Old 07-21-2021, 11:28 AM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The one thing I do know about all of this is that the free market will figure this out.

Heck, ironically, many companies where pushing WFM prior to covid for cost savings.

That being said, some large, established companies however have long-term leases or buildings that mean that shrinking space needs isn't really saving them any money so they're not incented by being able to save millions on office space like other companies are.
Yeah, it always does. In my line of work it was already probably around 50% WFH anyway and it already had sorted itself out. People who preferred working from home migrated to firms that allowed for it and people who preferred working in an office migrated there. It wasn't a totally smooth processes but I doubt it will be any different. Some companies will go permanently WFH or hybrid WFH and others will not, workers will shuffle around accordingly.

Nobody knows, of course, I find it odd that anyone is surprised that companies are starting to call people back in to the office. We're generally not talking about McJobs here. Just because they employees have been having a great time in their slippers doesn't mean the companies have. You have some high-profile companies that have always been pretty candid about that. We're paying you now because if we don't we'll lose you. You're coming back to the office when it's over. Apple, for example.

Old 07-21-2021, 11:29 AM

4,377 posts, read 1,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
Agree. I expect teachers will not be left out. The Teachers Union will fight for teachers' right to work from home like everyone else. The parents are home anyway.
I don't think so. I am sure there will be "some" who fight for that, but overall I think teachers want to return to the classroom. Distance teaching is hard, and we lost a lot of kids in the past year, some who disappeared completely. This year, we will be spending a lot of time making up for the mess of last school year. I don't think anyone wants last year to become the new norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies