Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 03:14 AM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I don't listen to anyone who wears Mardi beads and stuffed unicorns for professional photos.

https://asu.academia.edu/MauraPriest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 05:38 AM

21,873 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It's interesting to me that the UK, which is often ahead of us on these things, is now making this statement:

https://www.transgendertrend.com/nhs...rs-reversible/
Why not link to the NHS then rather than an anti-trans blog that heavily mixes it's opinions in with a few alleged changes?.
I mean, I agree with some of it. Hormone blockers should not be described as fully reversible since they are not fully reversible. That's outdated and should be updated. But then there's other things like suicide and self-harm. Again, for an anti-trans blog whose one sentence mission statement is transgender doesn't exist, that opinion may make sense. But the opinion of an anti-trans blog is just the opinion of an anti-trans blog and has nothing to do with your claim about the UK. In fact the blog even says that 5hr NHS continues to bring up suicidal ideation.

Old 07-22-2021, 06:17 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It's interesting to me that the UK, which is often ahead of us on these things, is now making this statement:

https://www.transgendertrend.com/nhs...rs-reversible/
The NHS does not interpret the law, the Courts do, and the Courts have made some important recent decisions.

There are still some further on-going legal action, however those under 16 can not be given blockers without parental permission, and the courts even went as far as to say that they were not able to give informed consent.

The judges have effectively split the issue into stages. They concluded a child under 13 is "highly unlikely" to be able to give informed consent and at 14 and 15 it is still "doubtful" they can fully understand the implications of the medication.

Even for 16 and 17-year olds the ruling says it may be appropriate to involve the courts in the decision.

A major problem in terms of the law, is that the signature of a minor does not carry the same weight as that of an adult, which is why minors can not enter in to legally binding contracts.

A further problem is also in relation to those who later change their minds and go on to take legal action in relation to being given blockers and issues relating to irreversible side effects, which is what happened in the UK.

The use of blockers and trans-gender treatments is therefore a legal mind field, and although the courts have provided some clarity, there will no doubt be further appeals and test cases.

Puberty blockers: Under-16s 'unlikely to be able to give informed consent' - BBC News (December 2020)

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-22-2021 at 06:39 AM..

Old 07-22-2021, 06:56 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Philosophy.....it's a dog gone cereal box religion.....

Old 07-22-2021, 07:26 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Oh brother, and they call right-wingers anti-science.

No way to change your gender, no way the botchjob'ish attempt is good for
the victim's mental or physical well-being.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:08 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
Ok, supposed you are right, Wouldn’t be better to wait till they are 18, and when their body stops growing and hormones settle down? I think this in the name of wokism is a dangerous and risky. I’m sorry but I believe this is a dangerous trend.

Not sure what you think is the dangerous trend.

Puberty blocking hormones ARE reversible.

IMO, no, it's NOT better to wait until the child is 18, if they've been expressing themselves as the other gender since they were little kids.

Let's use a hypothetical...

You give birth to, from all appearances, a little girl. From the age of 2, she shows a preference for toys generally for little boys. She wants to wear clothes typically made for boys. As she grows, more and more, everything says 'boy'. You know it. You see her every day. You live with her. You know her better than anyone. You see this is something you can't talk her out of, and if you insist on dressing her in a more feminine way, It's WWIII every time.

Now she's 8. Puberty can start that early. In her heart and soul, she feels like a boy. Are you going to allow her to go through puberty and get breast buds? Breasts that she'll LIKELY get a mastectomy for, if she goes through her transition at 18 or after? As her loving mother, you'd want her to go through that? When instead, you can put her on puberty blocking hormones?

What are you going to do, when she comes home from school and tells you all her friends won't talk to her anymore, or make fun of "him" for having boobs? And what about when he starts his period?

I think families that are dealing with this have doctors who are experts at this. Endocrinologists, Geneticists, Pyschologists, etc.

We're not talking about kids waking up one morning and saying to themselves "All the cool kids are switching genders. I'm going to ask mom if I can too."

Old 07-22-2021, 09:55 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
"......Arizona State University philosophy professor Maura Priest......"

Whew, I thought it might be a professor of something important.

Just another "easy A" type of class where you keep your head down, sniff the wind and say the right things.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:21 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Sorry, I don't listen to anyone who wears Mardi beads and stuffed unicorns for professional photos.

https://asu.academia.edu/MauraPriest
So you judge people based on their appearance.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:23 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
"......Arizona State University philosophy professor Maura Priest......"

Whew, I thought it might be a professor of something important.

Just another "easy A" type of class where you keep your head down, sniff the wind and say the right things.
Please enlighten us on what is "important." Because literally the oldest subject is apparently not. In fact the word "enlighten" is a philosophic term.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:30 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Not sure what you think is the dangerous trend.

Puberty blocking hormones ARE reversible.

IMO, no, it's NOT better to wait until the child is 18, if they've been expressing themselves as the other gender since they were little kids.

Let's use a hypothetical...

You give birth to, from all appearances, a little girl. From the age of 2, she shows a preference for toys generally for little boys. She wants to wear clothes typically made for boys. As she grows, more and more, everything says 'boy'. You know it. You see her every day. You live with her. You know her better than anyone. You see this is something you can't talk her out of, and if you insist on dressing her in a more feminine way, It's WWIII every time.

Now she's 8. Puberty can start that early. In her heart and soul, she feels like a boy. Are you going to allow her to go through puberty and get breast buds? Breasts that she'll LIKELY get a mastectomy for, if she goes through her transition at 18 or after? As her loving mother, you'd want her to go through that? When instead, you can put her on puberty blocking hormones?

What are you going to do, when she comes home from school and tells you all her friends won't talk to her anymore, or make fun of "him" for having boobs? And what about when he starts his period?

I think families that are dealing with this have doctors who are experts at this. Endocrinologists, Geneticists, Pyschologists, etc.

We're not talking about kids waking up one morning and saying to themselves "All the cool kids are switching genders. I'm going to ask mom if I can too."

I was a tomboy. I would absolutely let me daughter go through puberty and wait to make such a huge life altering decision. I’d probably assume she was gay. I’d buy her boy’s clothing that is what she wanted and support her being a tomboy but I would not give her hormones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies