Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 08:58 AM

42,683 posts, read 17,895,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Condescension noted.

Who has suggested that hospitals had enough suites to deal with the usual as well as the rare or unusual. Not I.

My point is the "unusual" and "rare" is being exacerbated by those among us attributing a nefarious conspiracy or anti-science to the acceptance of THIS particular vaccine at this particular "politically polarized" period of our history.

Now; were the occupancy rates of individual ICU's of major concern before Covid?

Were "any" hospitals suggested by anyone expected to maintain suites in numbers that would anticipate a pandemic?

Using your provided figure of 80% occupancy due to Covid; should all hospitals discard the profit, or any other reasonable economic feasibility considerations, to maintain ICU suites in accordant numbers?
Not in SC. Covid is just a small percentage of ICU/Vent use in hospitals here.

1209 ICU beds occupied...196 covid
460 on vents...87 covid

https://scdhec.gov/covid19/hospital-...acity-covid-19
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 09:07 AM

2,335 posts, read 810,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Condescension noted.

Who has suggested that hospitals had enough suites to deal with the usual as well as the rare or unusual. Not I.

My point is 'singularly' the "unusual" and "rare" is being exacerbated by those among us attributing a nefarious conspiracy or anti-science to the acceptance of THIS particular vaccine at this particular "politically polarized" period of our history.

Now; were the occupancy rates of individual ICU's of major concern before Covid?

Were "any" hospitals suggested by anyone expected to maintain suites in numbers that would anticipate a pandemic?

Using your provided figure of 80% occupancy due to Covid; should all hospitals discard the profit, or any other reasonable economic feasibility considerations, to maintain ICU suites in accordant numbers?
It doesn't matter what it was before. The current reality is it was fairly apparent since March of 2020 that more rooms would be needed and nothing was done about it.

Again, I have no problem if someone wants to emphasize it's all about profit (as you are insinuating). My problem comes from people expecting everyone to squawk when ICUs with a miniscule amount of rooms get filled. And these are comments that are made in threads throughout this forum (so no, I wasn't talking specifically about you). It's hypocritical to imply the government and local communities have done everything needed to solve the problem when this capacity has not been addressed in the last 1 1/2 years (and probably isn't being addressed now, knowing full well there will be other variants of the virus). The mantra to just get vaccinated and everything will be solved clearly no longer works with the vaccinated spreading the virus and over 100 million people that are either immunocompromised or having co-morbidities not being protected.

Old 08-09-2021, 09:08 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,434,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Not in SC. Covid is just a small percentage of ICU/Vent use in hospitals here.

1209 ICU beds occupied...196 covid
460 on vents...87 covid

https://scdhec.gov/covid19/hospital-...acity-covid-19
Exactly so, the occupancy rate of the ICUs are in accordance with the rate of the infection.

Who has, or is, suggesting it is otherwise?

https://www.counton2.com/news/south-...inue-to-surge/

Two take-aways from above link:

"As of Wednesday, 44% of South Carolinians are fully vaccinated against COVID-19."

"DHEC said hospitalizations are also up. According to Dr. Knoche, the majority of those who are seriously ill or in the hospital are unvaccinated South Carolinians. He urged anyone who hasn’t gotten the vaccine to get it as the Delta variant spreads."

Old 08-09-2021, 09:14 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,434,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
It doesn't matter what it was before. The current reality is it was fairly apparent since March of 2020 that more rooms would be needed and nothing was done about it.

Again, I have no problem if someone wants to emphasize it's all about profit (as you are insinuating). My problem comes from people expecting everyone to squawk when ICUs with a miniscule amount of rooms get filled. And these are comments that are made in threads throughout this forum (so no, I wasn't talking specifically about you). It's hypocritical to imply the government and local communities have done everything needed to solve the problem when this capacity has not been addressed in the last 1 1/2 years (and probably isn't being addressed now, knowing full well there will be other variants of the virus). The mantra to just get vaccinated and everything will be solved clearly no longer works with the vaccinated spreading the virus and over 100 million people that are either immunocompromised or having co-morbidities not being protected.
I'm not arguing your point. Nor am I expecting anyone to "squawk"- I simply have and am stating that the current situation of available beds is exacerbated by those unwilling to accept vaccinations.

Old 08-09-2021, 09:17 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,491,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
False. The vast majority of hospitals are not full. Many ICUs are getting close to capacity, not hospitals. And iCUs don't only house Covid patients. The fact of the matter is this was p1ss poor planing by local and national leaders not to expand ICU capacity, but that's already been explained to you numerous times. 3 beds per every 10,000 people was never going to be enough and that should be more than obvious. They've had 1 1/2 years to do something about it. They've done practically nothing.
They do have plans ready to expand ICU and hospital bed capacity, if and when that is required. It is not required at this point. The lockdown lucys are trying to incite fear and panic again, and the corporate media led Democrat left mob is working towards that end.

These hospitals work near capacity on a recurring basis, but we do not hear about it on the news. Being near capacity is not the same thing as being over capacity. Then, when one hospital fills its ICU, the answer is not to fall apart and the seams and have a hysterical hissy fit. The next step is to start moving people who need ICU rooms to other facilities that do have the capacity. All of this has been thought through in advance. There is a process and attendant procedures for how to handle it.

If the hospital bed capacity of a large metropolitan area is being overtaxed, then the next stage is to open alternate facilities, which might be set up in other medical facilities, or available office buildings, and then even larger public facilities like convention centers. They just are not there yet, despite the irresponsible yelpings of the forever-pandemic cheerleaders, who pretty clearly will not ever willingly let this go.

Old 08-10-2021, 12:28 AM

2,335 posts, read 810,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
They do have plans ready to expand ICU and hospital bed capacity, if and when that is required. It is not required at this point. The lockdown lucys are trying to incite fear and panic again, and the corporate media led Democrat left mob is working towards that end.

These hospitals work near capacity on a recurring basis, but we do not hear about it on the news. Being near capacity is not the same thing as being over capacity. Then, when one hospital fills its ICU, the answer is not to fall apart and the seams and have a hysterical hissy fit. The next step is to start moving people who need ICU rooms to other facilities that do have the capacity. All of this has been thought through in advance. There is a process and attendant procedures for how to handle it.

If the hospital bed capacity of a large metropolitan area is being overtaxed, then the next stage is to open alternate facilities, which might be set up in other medical facilities, or available office buildings, and then even larger public facilities like convention centers. They just are not there yet, despite the irresponsible yelpings of the forever-pandemic cheerleaders, who pretty clearly will not ever willingly let this go.
Spartacus,

I honestly am just tired of the subject as a 5th grader would understand why this is such a problem. I agree we are not there yet, but shifting people to other hospitals is nothing more than a quick fix. It is not a solution.

The fact remains that 3 ICUs for every 10,000 people (not exclusively Covid patients) was never going to be enough. And if this is truly a matter of safety and providing resources and care (and not solely profitability), then something should have been done over the last 1 1/2 years and going forward. If not, this problem will just keep coming back over and over and over.

And as far as I'm concerned anyone who's first word is "can't" in regards to this issue is just making excuses. We can and it should be done.

Old 08-10-2021, 05:53 AM

57,074 posts, read 26,036,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Do you realize how asinine that statement is? You’re pushing for people to get a vaccine when the long term effects are unknown. For that matter, even the short term effects - such as enlarged heart and blood clots - are being glossed over. Yet you are offended because some people are hesitant to jump on board, even though if there is an adverse reaction there is no legal recourse against the vaccine manufacturer or the government encouraging our participation in the largest clinical trial in history.

Before you start with the “adverse reactions only happen one in a thousand (or whatever number you use) times” argument, if you gave me a thousand Skittles and told me one of them would kill me I wouldn’t eat them either. And I’m close to needing a twelve step program for my addiction to Skittles.
I fully expect the vaccine to have FDA approval in the next several weeks, will concern about long term effects stop you from getting vaccinated. There have been rigorous trials by all the manufacturers for several months and we have 6 months of experience from the roll out. Yes there have been some issues with blood clots which is why they had a pause for Pfizer.

Just about every single person ending up in the hospital is unvaccinated, ending up dead or in a hospital because you want to avoid a vaccine that will protect you is asinine.

Old 08-10-2021, 05:59 AM

45,137 posts, read 26,325,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I fully expect the vaccine to have FDA approval in the next several weeks, will concern about long term effects stop you from getting vaccinated. There have been rigorous trials by all the manufacturers for several months and we have 6 months of experience from the roll out. Yes there have been some issues with blood clots which is why they had a pause for Pfizer.

Just about every single person ending up in the hospital is unvaccinated, ending up dead or in a hospital because you want to avoid a vaccine that will protect you is asinine.
You realize FDA approval doesnt mean there are no harmful side effects. Also, given the political push to get everyone vaccinated, do you really think these vaxx's wont get approval in the end?
The FDA is is part of the federal govt, the federal govt wants everyone vaccinated. Period.
Stop acting like FDA approval is meaningful.

Old 08-10-2021, 07:54 AM

3,788 posts, read 1,753,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

And plenty of Americans have natural immunity from surviving the virus. Remember for the majority it has a 99% survival rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies