Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2021, 11:09 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,787,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
How are you deciding for another? Multiple vaccines have been available for a very long time now. This really isn't my problem if you didn't get your vaccine by now then it's really your problem

This thread is about lockdowns to save people's lives who didn't get the vaccine. So it's the philosophy that we need to shut down people's businesses and livelihoods to save people who didn't want the vaccine anyway. Lockdowns are just screwing with our children and their futures.
The unvaccinated are not asking for lockdowns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 11:09 AM

3,343 posts, read 1,221,918 times
btw if people really want to prevent variants they would be BEGGING the US to send their vaccines to other countries where they're needed not trying to convince people who don't want vaccines to get one.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:14 AM

46,861 posts, read 25,809,157 times
McConnell is a conniving bastard of the highest order whom I hold in nothing but contempt, but he's not stupid.

The message that Covid was thought up to bother Trump's presidency has had to be abandoned - did anyone notice how quietly that died out, btw.? - and the GOP is now looking at a situation where the supermajority of voters are taking Covid seriously to he point of getting vaccinated and getting annoyed with those who aren't.

What is more, businesses have now had to acknowledge the reality of the threat and they're losing actual money. They've been calling their spokesholes in Fox and Congress, too.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:20 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,472,177 times
The federal government and the current regime occupying the white house do not have the legal authority to impose nationwide lockdowns. That would require an act of Congress, which barring the revokation of the filibuster in the Senate, appears unlikely to happen.

Any lockdowns will be state and local. Some states such as Texas have already stated that they do not intend to lock down again, barring a true catastrophe, which would mean something FAR worse than anything we have witnessed so far. The Democrat left government establishment types, the corporate mass media and the big social media companies were able to collude together during the 2020 election season to intentionally incite mass panic and lock everything down.

The next time they try a similar stunt, a lot of people and a lot of states will not be giving them the 'benefit of the doubt' this time. Those people have been aggressively gaslighting the American public on multiple fronts for five solid years now, and most of the country knows it. It will not be very easy at all for them to pull a stunt like that off again. The trust is just not there anymore.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:21 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,704,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
McConnell is a conniving bastard of the highest order whom I hold in nothing but contempt, but he's not stupid.

The message that Covid was thought up to bother Trump's presidency has had to be abandoned - did anyone notice how quietly that died out, btw.? - and the GOP is now looking at a situation where the supermajority of voters are taking Covid seriously to he point of getting vaccinated and getting annoyed with those who aren't.

What is more, businesses have now had to acknowledge the reality of the threat and they're losing actual money. They've been calling their spokesholes in Fox and Congress, too.
There has definitely been a 180 turn on the right. Me thinks they are looking at internal polling and watching their numbers with suburban women plummet....just a guess. But politicians and their amplifiers (Sean Hannity) don't turn like that for no reason.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:23 AM

19,597 posts, read 9,139,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
How are you deciding for another? Multiple vaccines have been available for a very long time now. This really isn't my problem if you didn't get your vaccine by now then it's really your problem

This thread is about lockdowns to save people's lives who didn't get the vaccine. So it's the philosophy that we need to shut down people's businesses and livelihoods to save people who didn't want the vaccine anyway. Lockdowns are just screwing with our children and their futures

YES, agree 100% with the bold.

I am unvaccinated and at this point, I intend to remain unvaccinated -- and so PLEASE do NOT shut down the economy to "save" me. I don't think I need to be saved from my decision -- and if I made the wrong one by not being vaccinated, that is on ME and not anyone else!

And, as has been reported by now, the vaccinated can ALSO spread the virus, even though, reportedly, they are less likely to do so.* So I also wish that people would stop with the "You're being selfish" refrain. That is not true, and I doubt if saying that it is true will change anyone's mind at this point -- if it ever did.
-----

*FROM GOOGLE (quote, my italics):

"Can vaccinated people spread COVID-19?

"Studies show that fully vaccinated people can be less likely to spread the virus to others, even if they do get COVID-19. CDC recommends you get a COVID-19 vaccine as soon as one is available to you. Fully vaccinated people can resume activities that they did before the pandemic. Jun 25, 2021"

https://www.cdc.gov › effectiveness › breakthrough-cases

Last edited by katharsis; 07-22-2021 at 12:19 PM..

Old 07-22-2021, 11:25 AM

42,327 posts, read 17,679,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Yep. Hard to ignore facts. Covid isn't political. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
I can tell you what will happen. Nothing from the Fed since they don't control public health.
It's up to states to "lock down", not the Fed.

So McConnell is just blowing steam for those that know about public health.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:32 AM

25,420 posts, read 9,723,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I can tell you what will happen. Nothing from the Fed since they don't control public health.
It's up to states to "lock down", not the Fed.

So McConnell is just blowing steam for those that know about public health.
I'm talking about how businesses will be affected. They can open up wherever they want to, but if people start getting afraid again, and their families and friends start being affected, they won't be going out as much. Again. I don't think it'll be like it was at the beginning. We're not that smart. That being said, if it gets bad enough . . .

Old 07-22-2021, 11:36 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,838,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
There has definitely been a 180 turn on the right. Me thinks they are looking at internal polling and watching their numbers with suburban women plummet....just a guess. But politicians and their amplifiers (Sean Hannity) don't turn like that for no reason.
The vast majority of people dying of COVID now are their uneducated constituency. They're seeing an already shrinking base being decimated further by a completely preventable disease. They can't afford to lose any more of them.

Too bad they did such a good job of indoctrination against the vaccine that it's too late to turn that ship now.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:46 AM

5,783 posts, read 3,572,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
My kids, all of whom are adults, are vaccinated.
The teenaged grandchildren that I live with are also now vaccinated as are my adult grandchildren.

I have not seen my younger grand/great-grand children since the pandemic started and likely won’t for some time.
So, they're not your kids but your grand/great-grand children. Now that we've got the relationship straightened out, would you mind answering the question I posed? In case you forgot what it was, here it is again. Just substitute the proper relationship for the word "kids" in the question. Or, perhaps they ARE being kept in a bubble since you haven't been able to see them. So, how is this "living"???

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
So what are you going to do with your kids??? Build a bubble around them and not let them out or anyone else in??? How is this considered as "living"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies