Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 07:24 AM

15,936 posts, read 12,236,371 times

Advertisements

How do you think their population went up as fast as it did in Mexico since the 1960's? In all seriousness if you study biology, evolution, history, and ancient cultures as a hobby, you may stumble across the fact that 18 being adulthood is a very recent development, and girls marrying and having kids starting at age 12-14 was the norm through most of the history of our species. Look at the age Mary was when she supposedly got pregnant with Jesus (the virgin birth thing was added in much later on to the bible)

I'm not saying it should be allowed, however it's genetically wired into many male's DNA, they are just not willing to admit it because it carries the biggest cultural stigma combined with some of the largest prison sentences not to mention the treatment you get when you are on the inside as a "sexual predator" (not so much for the female sexual predators though) These days we may as well make 25 adulthood for how mature many young people are these days (I'm being facetious I don't support this)

Old 07-23-2021, 07:55 AM

23,184 posts, read 12,303,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Do you think "real Americans" who have sex with minors would be surprised if a fuss was made over it?

Old 07-23-2021, 08:00 AM

23,184 posts, read 12,303,428 times
Age of consent in Oklahoma is 16.

As far as marrying a minor:

Quote:
Marriage Age Requirements in Oklahoma at a Glance

In Oklahoma, you must be 18 before applying for a marriage license without parental approval, and as young as 16 with written parental consent. If a minor under 16 is pregnant or has a child, he or she may get married through a court order and parental consent (or consent by legal guardian).
https://statelaws.findlaw.com/oklaho...ents-laws.html

Old 07-23-2021, 08:01 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,483,682 times
I’m not surprised or even particularly disgusted by it. Girls in Hispanic cultures tend to physically mature at a young age, and emotionally mature early due to helping their families with cooking, cleaning, childcare, etc. Marrying at very young ages is culturally acceptable. Marrying an older man who is financially stable is seen as a benefit as well.

My daughter played on a soccer team in San Francisco for years with another girl whose parents married in Mexico when the mother was 13 and her husband almost 30. They had four daughters. Nicest couple ever. There was zero sense of any suffering or unhappiness in their union. They were really nice people, with four lovely kids.

A hundred years ago nobody would blink at this.

Old 07-23-2021, 08:07 AM

35,521 posts, read 17,818,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I’m not surprised or even particularly disgusted by it. Girls in Hispanic cultures tend to physically mature at a young age, and emotionally mature early due to helping their families with cooking, cleaning, childcare, etc. Marrying at very young ages is culturally acceptable. Marrying an older man who is financially stable is seen as a benefit as well.

My daughter played on a soccer team in San Francisco for years with another girl whose parents married in Mexico when the mother was 13 and her husband almost 30. They had four daughters. Nicest couple ever. There was zero sense of any suffering or unhappiness in their union. They were really nice people, with four lovely kids.

A hundred years ago nobody would blink at this.
I agree.

The reason we don't allow sexual relations with 12 and 13 year old girls is in our culture, that's abusive to the girls - they will get NOTHING out of it, will be used and tossed away, and will end up emotionally scarred.

It's different in their culture, where the girl is a partner and the man intends to treat her with the respect and dignity of a partner. And raise children together and grow old together.

And this is what you see, if you observe large gatherings of newly immigrated hispanic people in parks. Young men and women, old men and women, children of all ages all playing together in a large group.

It works.

Old 07-23-2021, 08:15 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,483,682 times
My grandmother married my grandfather in the Texas panhandle back in the twenties. She was 14, my grandpa 19. There was nothing unusual about their union. They were married for close to 70 years. It’s only in the past 100 years that our societal norms began to crack down on young marriage. Other countries do not subscribe to these same norms. In countries where lifespans are shorter you will still see people marrying and starting families at younger ages.

Old 07-23-2021, 08:57 AM

19,709 posts, read 10,054,697 times
24 and 12 should be ok with Christians. I mean Mary was supposed to be 12 and Joseph 40 in the Bible. Mohamed was 40 and his wife was 9, for Muslims.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:21 AM

5,192 posts, read 4,648,878 times
I applaud the ability of the FOX News audience to be able to read between the lines. I think in the future they can have an article with nothing but a picture of a black man named Jamal and no text and everyone here will be able to tell his whole life story.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:58 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,978,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yeah, but the media and some posters want us to believe they are from Oklahoma, USA, not somewhere in Mexico.

Well, if they have a mailing address in Oklahoma, than they're from Oklahoma.

When "Florida Man" does something stupid, no one asks "Yeah...but where was he BORN?"

I agree with you, that he's likely, not born and bred in Oklahoma. But still, he's in Oklahoma, and subject to the laws of Oklahoma.

People have been fighting for the rights of women world wide for awhile now. Working on getting marriage laws changed world wide. Raising the ages of consent world wide. Working on stopping female circumscision, etc. Seems to me, just because "it's the way things are done there" doesn't make it right or OK.

If the brains of 14 year old white kids aren't fully developed yet, and thus not able to give consent, than it's the same for 14 yr old brown, black, red and yellow kids, born here or abroad. But they're HERE, and that's where we enforce the law.

Old 07-23-2021, 10:04 AM

35,521 posts, read 17,818,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Well, if they have a mailing address in Oklahoma, than they're from Oklahoma.

When "Florida Man" does something stupid, no one asks "Yeah...but where was he BORN?"

I agree with you, that he's likely, not born and bred in Oklahoma. But still, he's in Oklahoma, and subject to the laws of Oklahoma.

People have been fighting for the rights of women world wide for awhile now. Working on getting marriage laws changed world wide. Raising the ages of consent world wide. Working on stopping female circumscision, etc. Seems to me, just because "it's the way things are done there" doesn't make it right or OK.

If the brains of 14 year old white kids aren't fully developed yet, and thus not able to give consent, than it's the same for 14 yr old brown, black, red and yellow kids, born here or abroad. But they're HERE, and that's where we enforce the law.
It would be interesting to compare this community, with our majority community in the US, where laws against this forbid it, and are somewhat typically enforced.

(Twelve year old pregnancies DO happen among American citizens, and are often not prosecuted as crimes. There's a maxim among people who work with pregnant teens - the younger the mom, the older the dad. A pregnant teen who is 17 likely got pregnant by a similar age male; a 12 year old who is pregnant is usually by a man in his mid 20's. And often no one cares).

But it would be interesting to compare the rates of anxiety and depression, and criminality, between communities that allow this behavior, and rally around and support and socialize with couples like this, and communities that strictly forbid it. This behavior, for families that choose to engage in it, seems to be working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.