Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2021, 04:55 PM

56,972 posts, read 25,901,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
MS didn't file a lawsuit. The pro-abortion contingent sued MS over its abortion law. MS is defending its Constitutional State's Rights.

The pro-abortion contingent may have made a MAJOR strategic error in exposing Roe to SCOTUS review. Like I said, if states can restrict specifically enumerated Constitutional gun rights, and they do (even red states do), they can also restrict any perceived right to abortion.
Except for the fact that there are many states imposing restrictions on abortion, should they ignore them all in addition to this one. Do they just avoid filing suit against Texas bounty law moved to 6 weeks. This isn't going to suddenly disappear with Mississippi. Why even have a court if states are allowed to take away rights.
You still never answered the question, why is MS just now attempting to change what has been accepted for 50 years.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:03 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,724,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Except for the fact that there are many states imposing restrictions on abortion, should they ignore them all in addition to this one. Do they just avoid filing suit against Texas bounty law moved to 6 weeks. This isn't going to suddenly disappear with Mississippi. Why even have a court if states are allowed to take away rights.
You still never answered the question, why is MS just now attempting to change what has been accepted for 50 years.
Rights are only valid if you have the power to maintain them. We see clearly that women are not strong enough to hold on to a right that they want. Civil rights will be next.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:05 PM

13,389 posts, read 6,393,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I am getting dizzy with the circles you keep going in. Wash Rinse Repeat and Repeat and Repeat.
Ad nauseum lol.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:06 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,897,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Rights are only valid if you have the power to maintain them. We see clearly that women are not strong enough to hold on to a right that they want. Civil rights will be next.
Bite your tongue!

Old 12-09-2021, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Mighty nice of them to make it official that Roe goes the way of Plessy vs Ferguson next year.

You seem to think women give a flip about your silly state laws.

They dont and wont.

Women will not go back to second class citizenship. You can bank on that.

BTW the last time states rights was the battle cry it came from racists who thought they had the right to own slaves.

Thanks for letting us know who you are.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:35 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,104,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
You seem to think women give a flip about your silly state laws.

They dont and wont.

Women will not go back to second class citizenship. You can bank on that.

BTW the last time states rights was the battle cry it came from racists who thought they had the right to own slaves.

Thanks for letting us know who you are.
I think its a little unfair to assume everyone supporting states rights is doing so as a proxy for racism wanting to suppress other rights. States rights is a legitimate interest. As I posted much much earlier I support the availability of abortion as a matter of policy but have always through Roe was on some shaky ground as far as the legal reasoning goes. As much as I like the result, I can't say that the Roe decision was the best way to achieve it.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:39 PM

9,639 posts, read 5,986,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I think its a little unfair to assume everyone supporting states rights is doing so as a proxy for racism wanting to suppress other rights. States rights is a legitimate interest. As I posted much much earlier I support the availability of abortion as a matter of policy but have always through Roe was on some shaky ground as far as the legal reasoning goes. As much as I like the result, I can't say that the Roe decision was the best way to achieve it.
And the flip side: the purpose of being a republic is to protect people from the mob.

A woman’s right falls under liberty. No state has a right to infringe on that.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:41 PM

17,385 posts, read 6,715,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
And the flip side: the purpose of being a republic is to protect people from the mob.

A woman’s right falls under liberty. No state has a right to infringe on that.
I thought your opinion on this was irrelevant since you identify as a male.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:45 PM

4,359 posts, read 4,203,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
True. "Man has only those rights he can defend." Philippeaux, in Danton.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
You are entitled to your opinion.

If you dont support women having freedom to control their own destiny by controlling their reproductive rights then your beliefs about the essential liberties of others is suspect to me.

Misogony which imo underlies much of the anti-abortion movement is usually closely associated with racism.

Are there exceptions.......sure. But, not enough to matter imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies