Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2021, 11:52 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
If the Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, then abortion will still be legal, unless states start restricting it individually.
Roe v Wade was egregiously wrong, because obviously there is no Constitutional right to an abortion. The Court had to twist and turn to make it one. The decisions should have been left to the states and the Court's ruling should have been as narrowly decided as possible. But that was not the style of the Burger Court.

Even at that though, I think if the Court had been crystal clear that the right only existed in the first weeks (15 is maybe about right) then there would have been general acceptance of the ruling. The lack of clarity and not allowing any restrictions only flamed the fight for almost 50 years.

Old 11-29-2021, 11:54 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Not in Texas.
Total BS. Per HHS, there are 151 Title X Family Planning Clinics in TX. None of them are a PP facility.

Old 11-29-2021, 12:10 PM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
WHY on earth do people so mistakenly believe Planned Parenthood is the primary provider of contraception in the US when there are only 650 PP clinics and affiliates in the US compared to the THOUSANDS of federally-funded Title X Family Planning Clinics? Are people really that under-informed? YIKES!!!

Old 11-29-2021, 12:53 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You spew all the time that women aren't accepting the possibility of a pregnancy when they have sex. That just isn't true. Pregnancy is ALWAYS a possible outcome with certain male/female sex acts, barring complete reproductive sterilization.

And, yes. Seriously. Pregnancy is a KNOWN possible outcome and anyone who willingly participates in an activity that may result in such is accepting that possible outcome. No different than the fact that everyone who gets behind the wheel of a car or accepts a car ride from someone else accepts the fact that there's a possibility they may be involved in an auto accident resulting in injury or death.

Seriously... How do you NOT know that? Pregnancy and what causes it are basic biological facts. Or are you a science-denier?
You may have reading comprehension issues. I’ve never said women don’t know sex causes pregnancy. I’ve said how a woman regulates her own reproduction is her business. Yes women know sex leads to pregnancy. Just like a man she can have sex and regulate her reproduction as she sees fit. Her business not yours.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:46 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,459,784 times
Quote:
Why not? The end result is the EXACT same thing: a dead human fetus.
A fetus is not a person. Do you favor investigating all miscarriages to ensure the woman didn't somehow sneak in an abortion? Do you favor chaining a woman to a bed in a jail cell until she gives birth if she indicates she wants an abortion?

Quote:
Total BS. Per HHS, there are 151 Title X Family Planning Clinics in TX. None of them are a PP facility.
That's for 29 million people. Vast areas of Texas have no family planning coverage since the Legislature defunded PP.

What business is it of yours whether a woman has an abortion. I can tell you that when we were younger, and if my wife had a problem pregnancy that we decided not to carry to term, and you stuck your nose in our business, you would have lost that nose. IT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS WHAT MEDICAL PROCEDURES A WOMAN DECIDES TO HAVE. NONE.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:58 PM

57,221 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Roe v Wade was egregiously wrong, because obviously there is no Constitutional right to an abortion. The Court had to twist and turn to make it one. The decisions should have been left to the states and the Court's ruling should have been as narrowly decided as possible. But that was not the style of the Burger Court.

Even at that though, I think if the Court had been crystal clear that the right only existed in the first weeks (15 is maybe about right) then there would have been general acceptance of the ruling. The lack of clarity and not allowing any restrictions only flamed the fight for almost 50 years.
The other side of that coin is that the state of Texas had no right to regulate abortion to the degree that there was a complete ban, nor does any other state. Should we leave voting rights up to the states, that certainly didn't work in the past.

The constitution is not a perfect document much of it is open to interpretation and that's why we have a supreme court.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:59 PM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Which has nothing to do with Roe v Wade. The federal government has no right to enact a law telling states whether or not they can enact act laws regarding abortion (and many, many other issues). I recommend you familiarize yourself with the 10th Amendment.
Don't need to. A fact is a fact.

Old 11-30-2021, 05:56 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
WHY on earth do people so mistakenly believe Planned Parenthood is the primary provider of contraception in the US when there are only 650 PP clinics and affiliates in the US compared to the THOUSANDS of federally-funded Title X Family Planning Clinics? Are people really that under-informed? YIKES!!!
Yep. Last I checked, there are over 4,000 such clinics.

Granted, I will say that this may mean little to those where PP may be the only realistic provider of many forms of contraception in a particular area (Id imagine that such areas exist), but people still oversell the non-abortion value provided by PP I argue.

Old 11-30-2021, 06:03 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,289,311 times
Here's a quote from Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH):

”I think if you want to see a revolution, go ahead, outlaw Roe v. Wade and see what the response is…”

https://twitter.com/adamsextonwmur/s...221257735?s=21

Old 11-30-2021, 06:05 AM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Don't need to. A fact is a fact.
True, but the facts aren't on your side. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. Your position on this issue makes it seem like you either don't understand the 10th Amendment or are unaware of it's existence. Beyond that, I don't know what to tell. The 10th Amendment exists. It addresses state's rights. Those are facts. Please provide proof to the contrary. Your deflection is growing wearisome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies