Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2021, 02:57 PM

15,164 posts, read 7,201,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Have people been convicted of and sent to prison for committing fetal homicide? Yes. That sets the legal precedent that an unborn child is a separate human life.
Except in the case of a woman getting an abortion, which is an exception to the fetal homicide laws. There is no legal precedent set by those laws, or a conviction under those laws. Go talk to a lawyer to get some education.

Old 12-11-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Related to this for the states that ban abortion, if Roe is overturned, is how they will treat miscarriages. Will someone who miscarries somehow have to prove that is what happened? One also hopes that miscarriages won't be criminalized like child neglect is on the theory the woman should have better cared for the fetus to minimize risk of miscarriage.
There have been cases of Republican legislators proposing laws that would require an investigation of every miscarriage to ensure no abortion had occurred.

Old 12-11-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's because in 95% of all unintended pregnancies, the woman has ALREADY chosen to NOT use birth control or to use it incorrectly/inconsistently. That's a given. No need to ask about it.
I doubt women CHOOSE to use birth control incorrectly.

Old 12-11-2021, 03:05 PM

13,389 posts, read 6,383,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
There have been cases of Republican legislators proposing laws that would require an investigation of every miscarriage to ensure no abortion had occurred.
Some cowboy in TX has already proposed a law to charge women with murder which of course in TX could carry the death penalty.

Didn't make it out of committee, but still tells you there must be something really crazy in the water in TX.

Old 12-11-2021, 03:06 PM

88,615 posts, read 44,334,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Sorry I forgot your need to nitpick rather than answer the substance of any question asked of you.

So, do you want that child's killer and others like him/her to be released from prison.

Or, do you want women who have an abortion charged with murder?
Constitutionally, per the 14th Amendment's Equal Protection Clause, either anyone can kill an unborn child without being prosecuted for doing so, or no one can. Can't have it both ways.

Old 12-11-2021, 03:08 PM

88,615 posts, read 44,334,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I didn't say anything about trigger laws.

Your right to use birth control relies in part on the 9th amendment among others. If the 9th doesnt support abortion, it doesn't support the cases used to make birth control legal.
I didn't say the 9th doesn't support abortion. I said that it's each state's Constitutional Right to restrict abortion just like states already restrict 2nd Amendment Rights.

Old 12-11-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Constitutionally, per the 14th Amendment's Equal Protection Clause, either anyone can kill an unborn child without being prosecuted for doing so, or no one can. Can't have it both ways.
That's not what equal protection means. Go talk to a lawyer, and get some education. There was a post that explained this very well a couple of pages back. Your interpretation would eliminate self defense as an exception to murder laws.

Old 12-11-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
It is a legitimate constitutional question to ask when the "right to life" and "due process" protections kick in though. Is it at conception or birth? I don't know the answer, but I suspect that it never occurred to the founders that the "industry" of abortion would become a thing when they were writing the constitution. If we strictly read the language of the document, then I think we can reasonably conclude that it protects unborn children given our modern medical understanding of what it means to be "alive." We can create human life in a test-tube nowadays and that wasn't a thing 250 years ago.

Maybe a constitutional amendment is in order. I don't know. I have read Roe v. Wade and I have read the constitution. I don't think the legal reasoning the court gave for the decision holds up. However, I do think the moral imperative of giving women the right to control their own bodies is a real thing, so again, maybe it's time for our elected representatives to pass a constitutional amendment that addresses this issue in its modern context.

Anything short of that just strains reason.
Doctors, scientists and even dentists have weighed in this go round. They dont agree.

Constitutional scholars do not agree.

You think Congress critters would be able to reach agreement? Or, that any of them are even qualified to do so. Thanks for the chuckle.

Old 12-11-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
And yet it didn't hit the Supreme Court's lap until 1973 ... That's a big gap in there. With tonics aiding in abortions throughout history past --- it seems to me, this was never a moral issue, but a financial one instead. And that's how the Federal government ended up in our bedrooms, there is money in it.

It was never about women's reproductive rights --- that much has always been evident.
Well yeah its always been about depriving women of their rights.

Still, medical treatments result in an exchange of cash or pigs or something.

Old 12-11-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
And yet ...
Gender equality and women’s representation

A brief from the Susan B. Anthony List and 79 women serving as state legislators around the country highlights the increasing number of women who hold elective office in state governments. “Because of the substantial changes that even a minority of women bring to a legislative body, there is no longer a need — if there ever was — for this Court to assume that women cannot adequately protect their own interests through state political processes,” the brief argues. It notes that many state laws restricting abortion, including the Mississippi law, were sponsored by women. “Because women can now advance their own policy preferences in legislatures throughout the Nation, the Court can and should give greater deference to state legislators’ judgments about how to regulate abortion within their states’ borders.” We read all the amicus briefs in Dobbs so you don’t have to

it seems someone doesn't want women to have a voice at all.
That is cringeworthy. First, the Susan B Anthony list compilers are liars extraordinaire, and it is an abomination that they have coopted Anthony's life and voice for their pro-life agenda.

https://susanbanthonyhouse.org/blog/...y-on-abortion/

She never said the things they say she did, things she did say they take out of context or misrepresent.

But, sure the Republican handmaidens stand ready to serve the patriarchy. We already knew that lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies