Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2021, 08:19 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,433,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
The same people looking into immigration laws.

idk ... you brought up Texas.
Who is looking into immigration laws?

No one lol. Both parties have agreed to do nothing about immigration for years.

Sounds like you have yourself a good old fashioned conspiracy theory going on. Not buying it.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:22 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,433,552 times
Quote:
Then they should be able to legalize it for their State.
I'm sure it will be legalized in all states eventually.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:22 AM

33,999 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
I'd rather not live under dictatorship; democracy is best served through the people who vote to have what the need locally. Rather that than some one thousands of miles away putting undo burden on funds that would better serve the community in other areas like schools, parks etc ...
Amen. I also suspect we will see states modify regulations on this, like hundreds of issues, over the next several years, many times. Smaller forms of government are quicker at responding to local desires.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:25 AM

15,397 posts, read 7,459,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Amen. I also suspect we will see states modify regulations on this, like hundreds of issues, over the next several years, many times. Smaller forms of government are quicker at responding to local desires.
Local desires in the past resulted in the lynching of Black men who "looked" at a White woman. Local desires resulted in Blacks getting arrested for carrying a handgun while Whites were free to do so. Local desires are not the end all, be all solution.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Local desires in the past resulted in the lynching of Black men who "looked" at a White woman. Local desires resulted in Blacks getting arrested for carrying a handgun while Whites were free to do so. Local desires are not the end all, be all solution.
100 years ago, that did occur. Times have changed.

The feds upheld Plessy about that same time. They were, for decades, the protector, of what you wrote above.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:33 AM

88,962 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The 2nd Amendment wasn't incorporated until Heller, which is fairly recent. Before then, it had been treated as only applying to the Federal government. State and local restrictions on firearms have been in place since prohibition, some earlier. Prior to 1994, it was illegal in Texas to carry a handgun, with no exceptions. There were defenses to prosecution, but you can't use those until trial. Many of the restrictions on firearms were enacted to apply to Blacks only, with a tacit understanding that Whites would not be arrested or charged with violating those laws.

4th and 5th Amendment do not apply to Civil forfeiture. Those are Amendments that apply to criminal acts.
So what makes you think the government can seize anyone's assets at any time they wish without having charged them with or prosecuted them for any crime whatsoever?

Quote:
Back on topic. What do you think your reaction will be when women start dying at higher rates from illegal abortions?
They'll be victims of their own irresponsibility. Darwin Award, so to speak.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:44 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,586,979 times
Quote:
I'd rather not live under dictatorship; democracy is best served through the people who vote to have what the need locally. Rather that than some one thousands of miles away putting undo burden on funds that would better serve the community in other areas like schools, parks etc ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I think it was the WEF that I was watching one of their segments on YouTube that brought that little known fact into the conversation. Governors of States are in a much better position to see to the needs (address like climate change) of their citizens, as well as, they have the power to do so. They seemed to think we will see more taking the lead over the Federal Government in certain decisions. I guess in that, we'll see in the years to come, if that is true or not, or if the Federal Government tells them to sit down and shut up.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:48 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,586,979 times
Quote:
Then they should be able to legalize it for their State.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I'm sure it will be legalized in all states eventually.
If the States have the funds to carry the weight, you may be right.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I think it was the WEF that I was watching one of their segments on YouTube that brought that little known fact into the conversation. Governors of States are in a much better position to see to the needs (address like climate change) of their citizens, as well as, they have the power to do so. They seemed to think we will see more taking the lead over the Federal Government in certain decisions. I guess in that, we'll see in the years to come, if that is true or not, or if the Federal Government tells them to sit down and shut up.
Feds will not tell states to shut up, nor should they. They see the writing on the wall, Senate & House will be GOP controlled 1-23, with divided government at feds, plus a SC who is against adding to federal power.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:49 AM

88,962 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
She cannot rationally explain her position primarily because it's based on loopy libertaryan circular reasoning.
Nope. I'm quite clear in my explanation. The pro-abortion/pro-choice contingent's sole argument: State laws restricting abortion violate women's right to abortion.

Well, we've all seen how that's an utterly absurd argument given the following...

We accepted restrictions on our 2nd Amendment Rights as state legislatures passed increasingly restrictive gun control laws.

We accepted restrictions on our 4th and 5th Amendment Rights when state legislatures and local governing bodies passed civil forfeiture laws that let the government strip us of our assets regardless of whether we've been convicted of a crime or even charged with one at all.

Etc.

Now, state legislatures are choosing to restrict abortion to varying degrees, and suddenly some of you act all surprised and indignant? Really?

As soon as the first infringement on any of our rights was accepted, the slide down that slippery slope began. It should surprise no one, at this point, that state legislatures CAN and DO restrict our rights as they see fit. Abortion is no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.