Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2021, 05:22 AM

57,074 posts, read 26,036,019 times

Advertisements

The Mississippi AG is totally out of touch, how would ending RvW empower women.

Quote:
Ending Roe v. Wade would “empower” women to pursue careers and have babies, Fitch told the U.S. Supreme Court in a brief for Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization in July, which centers on the legality of Mississippi’s 15-week abortion ban. But a group of 154 economists rejected those arguments in a “friend-of-the-court” brief they filed last month.

About 75% of women seeking abortions, the economists said, are “low income,” and 55% “report a recent disruptive life event such as the death of a close friend or family member, job loss, the termination of a relationship with a partner, or overdue rent or mortgage obligations.” Those women, the economists wrote, “overwhelmingly lack access to paid maternity leave or to affordable childcare.”

https://www.mississippifreepress.org...-fitch-claims/

Old 10-11-2021, 05:41 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,416,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Neither the state nor the federal government has a right to decide on medical procedures for anyone.
CDC says, "hold my beer."

Old 10-11-2021, 06:09 AM

2,140 posts, read 359,257 times
No matter what anyone thinks about Roe, the crystal clear fact is this:

Abortions are NEVER going to stop. Never, ever ever. They have happened probably since early man started organizing.

Removing access to safe, legal abortion only means that abortions will be dangerous, cause permanent damage including infertility and death.

I don’t like the framing focused on the medical language.

Women have babies and abortions - sometimes it doesn’t work out well. Sometime it’s just a kid who was abused. Sometimes it’s wonderful to get a surprise.

The crucial take away is that this is about women having control over their careers, if/when they want a family as that sort of choice affects their financial health. A lot of women make decisions that are good, others don’t.

But there is no way it can be okay to take away that right of financial, career, education, … ones whole life - of human beings.

That’s chattel territory. Bearing children impacts a woman’s entire life and it is financial. No one should the freedom to make choices about work and earnings for themselves.

No. It drives me nuts that this is never put in the forefront.

All people can screw up their lives. Make the wrong decision and pay for it from then on. Women lose working time - they may get a suprise or want the family. It affects their lives. It affects their working and earning lives

And some idiots think they should not be able to make those decisions on their own, with their spouse’s input if that’s what is right for them? NO. NO.

Folks want to deny half of all Americans the individual freedom about how their life will play out.

That’s SICK.
It’s not about what the decision is or whether it’s good or bad. It’s about having the freedom like everyone else to make a decision. SECURITY, MONEY, FAMILY PLANNING, EDUCATION are at stake. Having a child changes ones life.

And also backwards is that women take the hit financially. That’s effects them when they get old.

It’s not about a procedure and people shouldn’t accept it as the focus. The procedure is a fleeting event. Like the contributor’s input . It’s about an entire life, because it is the most consequential life long event one can have . Sometimes everything is wonderful. Sometimes, ones life turns out poorly. But it’s that persons life. Huge lifetime decisions cannot be denied to half of all Americans.

Taking a person’s life decision away about their lives and plans and money - with a law - is unthinkable.

Everyone understands that much of life happens and we don’t get to make a choice. I’m waiting for that nonsense argument to surface so I’m going to shut it down now. Things happen. Fate.

But when an individual is in a position to make a personal, major life decision - how can they lose that right?

And they will find a way to get an abortion because they can’t lose a job or school or - it’s about LIFE. And people will suffer and die. And lives will be change forever. When someone makes choices about their lives, it on them. It’s called FREEDOM.

Sorry. I got a little worked up.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 12-01-2021 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Please don’t use red font

Old 11-28-2021, 09:37 AM

57,074 posts, read 26,036,019 times
Supreme Court to hear arguments on Dobbs VS Jackson Womens Health on Wednesday, will this 6-3 conservative court allow Mississippi's 15 week law to stand. The conservatives got the court they wanted, will they produce?

Old 11-28-2021, 10:22 AM

5,566 posts, read 6,142,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Supreme Court to hear arguments on Dobbs VS Jackson Womens Health on Wednesday, will this 6-3 conservative court allow Mississippi's 15 week law to stand. The conservatives got the court they wanted, will they produce?
I hope they follow the Constitution and other law and issue a well reasoned opinion. I am pro-choice but will accept the decision is based on well articulated Constitutional principles rather than "producing" for the "conservative" backers of individual justices. I have faith they will follow the law.

Old 11-28-2021, 10:34 AM

88,804 posts, read 44,610,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I hope they follow the Constitution and other law and issue a well reasoned opinion. I am pro-choice but will accept the decision is based on well articulated Constitutional principles rather than "producing" for the "conservative" backers of individual justices. I have faith they will follow the law.
Exactly. Per the Constitution, health care is a states' rights issue. Barring a new Constitutional Amendment, states and their electorates can and do regulate health care as they see fit.

Old 11-28-2021, 10:41 AM

33,865 posts, read 16,913,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
, and that is precisely what I want with every case. Follow the principles of the Constitution.

Old 11-28-2021, 11:04 AM

25,791 posts, read 21,949,801 times
It should be interesting. I can't imagine with abortion being such a high dollar industry (in the billions) would be shut down. I think dollars will speak louder than the Constitution. States rights are slowly being sucked away by the federal government.

Old 11-28-2021, 11:37 AM

15,304 posts, read 7,341,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Prior to Roe vs Wade, women had choices in how to "manage the decision". You do know where babies come from, right? Don't want a baby? Don't do that thing that results in pregnancy. Not sure why this is so hard to grasp. Might have something to do with the fact that the concept of personal responsibility and accountability is a completely alien concept to some folks. Perform the action, accept the consequences. It's called being an adult.
It must be nice to be such a prefect human being, who never has a birth control failure, who never gets raped, who never has an ectopic or tubal pregnancy.

How is it any of your business whatsoever which medical procedure a woman and her doctor decide is appropriate for a given situation? It's not, and never will be.

Do you also support police investigation of every miscarriage to determine whether it was an abortion or an actual miscarriage? Are you ready to prosecute God for causing miscarriages?

Old 11-28-2021, 11:40 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,041,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
It must be nice to be such a prefect human being, who never has a birth control failure, who never gets raped, who never has an ectopic or tubal pregnancy.

How is it any of your business whatsoever which medical procedure a woman and her doctor decide is appropriate for a given situation? It's not, and never will be.

Do you also support police investigation of every miscarriage to determine whether it was an abortion or an actual miscarriage? Are you ready to prosecute God for causing miscarriages?
I had an ectopic/tubal pregnancy. It is not equivalent to an abortion. That is a really bizarre statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.