Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 10:42 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
It only really puts other unvaccinated people at risk. Base jumpers endangering their fellow base jumpers. And like I said if they want to blame themselves if they end up in the hospital that's fine with me.
I am not singling your post out because several others share the sentiment. In fact (assuming that all of the unvaccinated were by choice and they only hurt themselves and like minded adults) I share your sentiment on this topic. But it is still a dilemma.

I will address this in two points
  • There are some who simply can not be vaccinated, I am thinking here of the young mostly, but there might be others. We need to protect them.
  • Those who become seriously ill put a tremendous burden on the hospital system, and that can get so bad that it impacts the hospital's ability to take care of other emergencies (reports are that is happening right now in parts of Missouri). So it really isn't just someone's right to gamble with their own lives, they are burdening the entire community and their shortsightedness and pigheadedness could cost other innocent people their lives too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 10:43 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,603 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
Exactly! So according to Ivey we should all start blaming black people.

I'm against forced vaccination and vaccine passports. But I'm vaccinated. People assume those who criticize vaccine policy are refusing the vaccine. Not necessarily so. I just want to support other people's choice to not be vaccinated.
Here's the thing, bottom line.

We're again going into another surge of this cursed virus, and it's mutants, and we're seeing a shortage in ICU beds AGAIN, and this time it's because those people who have the vaccine available to them are refusing to take it.

And while I don't want to turn this into a mob with torches and pitchforks, I would like to see some way to make headway in encouraging the unvaxed population to participate in the solution to end this pandemic.

I just got notification an hour ago that one of my favorite volunteer causes has gone back to masking again. AGAIN.

And I'm getting mad. As I think the rest of the country is, since we're really, really weary and worried and we know how to help contain this virus, at least the severe cases.

Old 07-23-2021, 10:47 AM

43,057 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Well the latest stats show nearly 70% of adults have at least one shot.
Data is from 7/22

BUT....Blacks and Hispanics still lag.

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covi...ace-ethnicity/
Close to 70% (68.3%) of the adult population in the United States have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
Persistently lower vaccination rates among Black and Hispanic people compared to their White counterparts across most states leave them at increased risk, particularly as the variant spreads.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...on-demographic
60% White fully vaccinated
15% Hispanic fully vaccinated
9% Black fully vaccinated

Old 07-23-2021, 10:49 AM

43,057 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The assumption was 70-80% would get vaccinated by now. Vaccinated people are getting covid in very small numbers as was expected. Very few are I'll or dying.

Getting covid permanently alters your system. There is no magic wand here. We can't wish it away.

And we have reached that...68.3% last of 7/22 with data from the CDC.

Old 07-23-2021, 10:52 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,795,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You just posted an opinion piece as your "fact" ???

CDC numbers are FACT. Opinions that you cherry pick because they support your political view are not FACTS.

You can't deal with minorities being the ones not vaccinated. Well that is the FACT.

The left has politicized this and omitted the facts to make people think the way you do.
It is a fact, but facts don't matter when people are in a state of mass hysteria. And it doesn't even matter who isn't getting the vaccine---black white whatever. They just want to find a group to hate. They thought the vaccines would end the pandemic. But there is no ending coronavirus with vaccines that have 39% chance of stopping spread, waning immunity, in a world of 8 billion people who travel.

All anyone can do is take the shot if they want to, and be happy they will be less likely to die, and try to extend some grace to other humans in the time we all have left. But people persist in this constant state of inflammatory and divisive rhetoric. People: your neighbor is not your enemy, no matter what the governor or public health 'experts' imply.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
This won't stop when they've reached 70% or even 80%. My county has 78% vaccinated and people are still making sure they announce they are 'fully vaccinated' and demanding you disclose the same. I had someone physically jump back when they said "you're vaccinated right?" and I said "no." It was at an outdoor event. I was wearing an n95 mask and I already had Covid and have long since recovered. Mass hysteria.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:04 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...nations-500638

Governor Ivey of Alabama has had it with the anti-vaxxers and vaccine-hesitant. She is calling for people to start blaming those who are vaccine-eligible without contraindications, and who still choose to ignore science and public health by rejecting the vaccine.

But the remarks from the governor grew more pointed when she was pressed on what it would take to get greater numbers of Alabamans vaccinated.

“I don’t know. You tell me,” Ivey said. “Folks [are] supposed to have common sense. But it’s time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks, not the regular folks. It’s the unvaccinated folks that are letting us down.”
I'm starting to read that it's happening to a lot of governors in the red states who have been resistant to the vaccine. 'Bout time.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:05 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:

Fully vaccinated no. I believe around 56%. And there are still states under 40%

Imagine pearl harbor happened in 2021. 40% of the population does not believe it actually happened. Almost half are more concerned about their own personal safety and refuse to fight the enemy. No wonder we are losing the battle with covid.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:06 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Well the latest stats show nearly 70% of adults have at least one shot.
Data is from 7/22

BUT....Blacks and Hispanics still lag.

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covi...ace-ethnicity/
Close to 70% (68.3%) of the adult population in the United States have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
Persistently lower vaccination rates among Black and Hispanic people compared to their White counterparts across most states leave them at increased risk, particularly as the variant spreads.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...on-demographic
60% White fully vaccinated
15% Hispanic fully vaccinated
9% Black fully vaccinated
your numbers are percentage of vaccinated population, not percentage of people overall vaccinated by rate. you are purposefully misrepresenting data as if no one was going to go behind you and check.

As I said in my post, in Alabama for example, black people are vaccinated at the same percentage as they are of the population.

Hispanics are actually the highest in percentage.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I am not singling your post out because several others share the sentiment. In fact (assuming that all of the unvaccinated were by choice and they only hurt themselves and like minded adults) I share your sentiment on this topic. But it is still a dilemma.

I will address this in two points
  • There are some who simply can not be vaccinated, I am thinking here of the young mostly, but there might be others. We need to protect them.
  • Those who become seriously ill put a tremendous burden on the hospital system, and that can get so bad that it impacts the hospital's ability to take care of other emergencies (reports are that is happening right now in parts of Missouri). So it really isn't just someone's right to gamble with their own lives, they are burdening the entire community and their shortsightedness and pigheadedness could cost other innocent people their lives too.
One of those people is my daughter. She has a medical exemption. If you want to protect her, don't endorse rhetoric that makes her into a leper. She's already been experiencing that. I'd also appreciate it if people didn't use people like her to endorse medical segregation. She can manage her own risks, and doesn't want to be identified as 'unvaccinated' in every situation. This has been the main topic of conversation in my family for weeks now, it has gotten so ugly out there for the unvaccinated.

As for burdens on the hospital system...78% of Covid patients in hospitals were obese. There are many people who 'burden' the hospital system by gambling with their own lives through drugs, obesity, smoking etc. We don't single them out for blame like we're doing with those who don't take the Covid shots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies