Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 03:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Be careful what you wish for. Neglectful parents are everywhere.

The countries that rewarded people for having children also had some abandoned. Like Romania.The kids were living in the storm sewers taking care of each other.
Yeah, but if you’ve ever been to Romania, that wouldn’t surprise you. It’s gotten somewhat better over the years, but when I was last there in ‘97, it was a dump…reeling from some of the worst excesses of the Iron Curtain years. It’s gonna take decades to clean that country up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 04:54 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger84Ag View Post
No!
Like that answer.

Old 07-24-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
I am not sure of the nature of this question. You mean have government force employers to compensate people based on their family situation?
The post was intended to be a provocative question. Of course the govt can't force employers to pay anyone anything more than labor laws dictate.

Old 07-24-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
I don't have children, but I have no problem with tax benefits that parents with children can get.

There is a wide range of things that anyone can do in order to get tax deductions for the activity. If people choose to have children, and thus get tax breaks, that's a choice that they made, and a choice that I could have made, but didn't.

It seems far cheaper NOT to have kids (and NOT to get related tax breaks) than to have kids and get the related tax breaks. So I come out ahead.
There is absolutely no way a person of low to moderate income (meaning, an ordinary person working for wages and taking the standard deduction) can do to lower their effective tax rate to that degree. (reference the article linked to in the original post...a gigantic difference).

Old 07-24-2021, 05:14 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
If you can afford to have another child, you already have plenty of money. Pay cut for you!!!

Old 07-25-2021, 01:24 AM

2,140 posts, read 361,502 times
Well the federal government is:

From CNET:

“The next child tax credit check will be disbursed on Aug. ... Eligible families are getting up to $300 each month for each child under age 6, and up to $250 a month for each kid ages 6 to 17 through December. Checks are arriving via direct deposit and by mail, with the next one scheduled to arrive in mid-August.”

People without children - zip. I think this is sort of arbitrary, because many people without kids have been hit very hard - there are different circumstances that vary greatly whether or not one has children. It seems like an arbitrary qualification. Yes, I think people with kids should get what they’re getting every month (there is an income level cut off, of course, that makes total sense) but I think people without kids should be getting someth8ng as well, perhaps less, with an income cut off as well.

At least until this scourge of a pandemic is significantly better and expenses can normalize and people can function normally. Owing back rent and other payments, having to use delivery services, being out of work or have work cut, hospital/medical bills, on and on - none of these things care if you have children or not.

Old 07-25-2021, 01:54 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Taxing childless people more makes sense.

I don’t know why you’re bringing employers into the issue.
I'd argue that taxing people with children more makes more sense as these families use more resources than those without children.

That being said, that's now how taxation works. People should be taxed the same.

Old 07-25-2021, 02:45 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,027,735 times
Absolutely not. I should be paid much much more for not having dependents. My employer offers good benefits. Why would one employee with 6 dependents get the same pay as someone with none.

Old 07-25-2021, 02:49 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,027,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
I don't have children, but I have no problem with tax benefits that parents with children can get.

There is a wide range of things that anyone can do in order to get tax deductions for the activity. If people choose to have children, and thus get tax breaks, that's a choice that they made, and a choice that I could have made, but didn't.

It seems far cheaper NOT to have kids (and NOT to get related tax breaks) than to have kids and get the related tax breaks. So I come out ahead.

No you don't. Have you seen the amount of money they throw to parents especially since the plandemic? massive welfare and not just for the poor.

Old 07-25-2021, 02:49 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
If the government can tax childless Americans at much higher effective rates then why shouldn't employers discriminate against their childless or child-free employees?

https://money.cnn.com/2014/04/25/pf/...xes/index.html
Well this isn't very complicated.

The government has public policy considerations. The private employer doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies