Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should voting age be lowered to 16 ?
YES 6 11.32%
NO 47 88.68%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:54 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
No. We should have a test demonstrating a basic understanding of our govt before being allowed to vote.
For ALL ages. I would vote to change the voters age requirement to 21 regardless. Book knowledge and real world experience can differ greatly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 12:14 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
they should not only raise the voting age, you should have to take a test in order to vote. there would go 95% of obama supporters.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:15 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,702 times
Missed out on this poll, but hell no. I should have been voting when I was fourteen, but there are 40 year olds that I don't trust to vote. You should be able to at least justify your vote with at least one real reason. I don't think you could enforce it, but the most news most people comes in the form of chain e-mails, heresay, soundbytes or John Stewart.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:17 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Only if you want Sponge Bob for President!

Old 08-21-2008, 08:22 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,886 times
Very few 18 year olds vote as it is. And I'm sorry but how many 16 year olds concern themselves with issues facing the world today? The only war they're concerned about is the one they're playing on PS3.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:12 PM

472 posts, read 740,881 times
Voting age should be at least 21.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:23 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,703,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
It's not about who they will pick or not pick, they do not yet have a general understanding and comprehension of the world around them to know what they are voting about. Example: If they were asked if income taxes and property taxes should be increased to fund Cause XY. If it sounds good to them, why not? The reason is because they are not supporting themselves and don't understand the ramifications of an increased income and/or property tax to the rest of us.
I agree 100%. Heck, even when I was in college and was taking law, business, philosophy and economics classes, I was still being supported by my parents. I was obviously an intelligent young adult who was capable of understanding many political issues in and of themselves, but I still lacked that real-world comprehension that only comes along with being completely independent, supporting yourself, and living with decisions you make. It wasn't until after I graduated and had to work full-time, pay my own taxes, insurance, rent, utilities, gas, car payments, etc, that I really started paying attention to and understanding all those things I had voting for and against during the previous two elections.

If the voting age is changed at all, it should be raised, definitely NOT lowered. I think it's actually dangerous to let teenagers vote. They can't possibly understand the circumstances surrounding and consequences attached to most (if not all) of what they're voting for or against. Changing the voting age to 16 is, in my opinion, lunacy.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:09 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
No. Sixteen year olds today, in general, have no concept of personal responsibility and lack a significant amount of maturity.
Ironically neither do many bona fide adults in this country.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:23 AM

402 posts, read 853,222 times
Default heck no

being that i am only 17, i would be in with this group. however, i hate the idea. most people my age dont have a clue what is going on, and if they do blindly follow obama because he is "cool". honestly, most people my age would rather vote for american idol, and the mlb all star game. so the thought of them suddenly voting is scary. also, their parents would make them go and vote for who ever they want to win.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:51 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
they should not only raise the voting age, you should have to take a test in order to vote. there would go 95% of obama supporters.
No it would take out most southern voters, so there goes the mccain vote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies