Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 08:53 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Thank you to everyone who - like myself - is boycotting the Olympics.
Never thought of it as boycotting but simple apathy.
I have watched past Olympics with much enthusiasm but this years event has been lauded with Possible podium antics. I will pass.

Maybe 2024...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 08:55 AM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Our Olympians were too busy kneeling and being “woke” while other athletes were actually training to proudly represent their country. Now were looking at the women’s soccer, men’s basketball team, and countless others who may not even medal.

Let’s not forget Naomi Osaka, who routinely hates America yet chooses live in an LA mansion with her American rapper boyfriend, while representing the homogenous society of Japan that hates “outsiders.”

America: where you exploit her endless resources, only to berate it once you’ve prospered.

Old 07-26-2021, 09:08 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
in order to humiliate the US? After all, why win a gold medal for a country you hate?

No medals...NONE! Were won by team usa on opening day...seems suspect...
No it isn't. They didn't get this good to learn to lose.

I don't think the US people in general have much drive however. Our forefathers created a country you don't have to do much to get by and we have so much wealth even homeless people have $1,000 smartphones that I see all the time. They try and hide them, but they all have them. I find it pretty amazing.

That being said, we aren't hungry anymore. We are fat and full. Our forefathers really made it easy for us all. We are so lucky.

Old 07-26-2021, 09:52 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
No it isn't. They didn't get this good to learn to lose.

I don't think the US people in general have much drive however. Our forefathers created a country you don't have to do much to get by and we have so much wealth even homeless people have $1,000 smartphones that I see all the time. They try and hide them, but they all have them. I find it pretty amazing.

That being said, we aren't hungry anymore. We are fat and full. Our forefathers really made it easy for us all. We are so lucky.
What you describe could be true of the general population, but certainly is not true of élite level athletes. Can not believe some of the stuff I am reading in this thread.
Grant it when it comes to maybe our pro athletes (NBA players) participating in the Olympics, they may not be giving 100+ percent, but that is certainly not the case of most. Like others have said, some of the other countries are catching up.

Old 07-26-2021, 09:56 AM

52,258 posts, read 52,668,250 times
I think to compete at the Olympics level is a certain level of talent and hard work to get there. I can't see someone throwing it just for political reasons. You are a serous competitor at that level and again, I just don't see that happening.

Old 07-26-2021, 09:59 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,052,966 times
Even if they win their game , they're still losers !

Old 07-26-2021, 10:03 AM

127 posts, read 43,094 times
You're kinda funny...so because they won no medal on opening day that automatically translated them to "America hating"? The way some of you reason sometimes is really absurd!

Old 07-26-2021, 10:27 AM

4,627 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Tell me you aren't athletic without telling me you aren't athletic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
It does my head in, American Olympic coverage. Do I want to see the Olympic table tennis or do I want to watch Tony Hawks talk about skateboarding for a 'bit' on camera with a co-presenter? Tough choice.
Every two years, I'm right with you.
I grew up watching CBC's coverage. Unless you were watching hockey, CBC was pretty open to others.

This year, I really hate NBC's tying together everything. I only have NBC and Peacock. I can't watch much of anything, and I really can't watch any replays online because I don't get NBCSports or the NBC Olympic channel, or CNBC or some crap! I ended up borrowing my M-I-L's xfinity login in order to watch road cycling and 10m Women's Air Rifle.

There was even a American U-K student in the Air Rifle finals, but no way to see it.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:32 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
in order to humiliate the US? After all, why win a gold medal for a country you hate?

No medals...NONE! Were won by team usa on opening day...seems suspect...
Why do you make up such a ridiculous scenario? Is this to somehow make you feel better? ... the "stab in the back" excuse?

Who really thinks like that? People train for years for the chance to compete, this is their one chance out of a lifelong ambition.

Crazy talk.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:35 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
I doubt it. The athletes have worked too hard to be there and winning a medal is a culmination of their life's work. If anything winning a medal would give someone a platform to hate from. In winning they will get to go on TV shows and talk about their activism and work for Social Justice.

If the US is not winning it might not be from a lack of trying but actually that they need to work harder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies