Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 07:13 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
I feel sorry.... for the taxpayers of the hosting city. They NEVER see a return on investment. Its always an ego thing for the politicians and advertising bonanza for multinational corps. Why not just have a permanent Olympics location if this is so all important? Let the multinational corps pay for it if they want it.

As to American hating athletes????? Not sure who peed in this guys wheaties. But sure Hitler felt same way when an American black man beat his superior white race athletes. Course back then more white Americans probably agreed with Hitler than celebrated an American win.

Do I think all this is worth years of training for a medal and five minutes of fame, nope. But some do I guess. More power to them if they can get somebody to pony up the dough to make it happen. Alas its usually the taxpayers who arent given a choice in the matter.
The host nations usually see increased commerce from the fans spending money. This time the stands are empty. Japan must be losing their shirt over this year's Olympics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 07:18 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Biles said that she was under stress and also said one telling thing - that the environment of the Olympics was not the same - no crowd, etc.

One thing performers of all kinds (musicians, comedians etc) need an audience there - the performer feeds on the energy and response of the crowd. Comedians have said that they cant do comedy without a crowd that responds to them on stage.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:32 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
This is the first time i can remember athletes quitting for mental instability.

What a bunch of gutless snowflakes this generation of Tik-Tok youngsters is being turned into.
Please, you can’t handle wearing a simple mask. You have nothing to stand on calling Olympic athletes gutless.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:25 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I don't hate anyone but I do hate what the USA has become....not many virtues to tout. Glad to see the PRC has passed us up on gold medals.
There's the door, buddy. Don't let it hit you on the way out.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:25 AM

4,624 posts, read 4,892,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
I feel sorry.... for the taxpayers of the hosting city. They NEVER see a return on investment. Its always an ego thing for the politicians and advertising bonanza for multinational corps. Why not just have a permanent Olympics location if this is so all important? Let the multinational corps pay for it if they want it.
Not never. LA didn't lose money in 84 specifically because they got so much advertising money from multinationals, and got to use the Rose bowl

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/eco...-olympic-games

Old 07-28-2021, 10:48 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The host nations usually see increased commerce from the fans spending money. This time the stands are empty. Japan must be losing their shirt over this year's Olympics.
They should have canceled. I understand they would have lost a lot of money by pulling out, but I wonder if they are losing more by staying in. I feel bad for Japan. This was a lose/lose situation for them from the start.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:57 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
I don't hate anyone but I do hate what the USA has become....not many virtues to tout. Glad to see the PRC has passed us up on gold medals.
When are you moving out of the USA? Love it or leave it.

Old 07-28-2021, 12:01 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Default Is it possible that the America hating Olympians...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
in order to humiliate the US? After all, why win a gold medal for a country you hate?

No medals...NONE! Were won by team usa on opening day...seems suspect...
Oh good grief! You've got to be kidding with this meme, i.e. "America hating Olympians..."!

Could it be any more obvious that such a statement underscores a complete lack of understanding of the concepts of athletic training and competition whether it be at the high school level, in collegiate competition or in Olympic competition? I think not..

Old 07-28-2021, 12:04 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Default Is it possible that..

Quote:
Rooting for the prc to pass us up in the medal count, eh?

That says volumes about what and who you are!

Old 07-28-2021, 01:34 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
IDK. But our media is sure going out of it's way to spin losers into winners. I don't have tv and I'm not watching the Olympics but that's what I see online. I think this Olympics is weird and probably shouldn't have taken place so I'll cut everyone some slack. I'm probably not going to care about it going forward though since they keep adding events that I think are stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies