Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what would it take for you to lose it ? masks coming back ? lockdowns? or do you not care?
even if only the masks came back id lose it 45 28.13%
it would have to be at least the lockdowns 28 17.50%
i dont care either way 72 45.00%
i love lockdowns and masks 15 9.38%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 10:58 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteVirtue View Post
I feel the same way. As much as I hated wearing that stupid mask, I would gladly put one back on to have empty roads and stores again.
The lockdowns were good for some. It also really helped the wildlife and environment.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 07-26-2021, 11:00 AM

1,706 posts, read 636,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The lockdowns were good for some. It also really helped the wildlife and environment.
Yes, that was another positive.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:02 AM

8,418 posts, read 4,575,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
The political reality is if cases continue to increase more restrictions will be put in place. It will be the people who do not get vaccinated will be the cause.

Not the silent carriers (The vaccinated)? Why are you going to blame black people, are you racist?

Old 07-26-2021, 11:07 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
They sure were. Even the essential workers I know love the reduction in traffic. Lockdowns aside, why can't we just let people work at home who are able? That would help so many things. We have the technology.

This is not 1950, yet employers are hung up on an outdated 9-5 in person work model. Many employers are using the excuse that a vaccine being available means everyone has to come back. Even those that could easily work on a hybrid schedule and only come in when needed.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Your posting is way over the top but even if that is what you believe, it is still a FACT the people who are not vaccinated who are driving the increase in cases and that will be used as the justification for new restrictions.

It depends who you believe. There are plenty of doctors and scientists who say it's the vaccine that is driving the variants which is driving the infections. And it makes all the sense in the world when it is explained. Don't assume you are right because you heard it from the TV.

Last edited by clutchcargo777; 07-26-2021 at 12:05 PM..

Old 07-26-2021, 11:13 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
They sure were. Even the essential workers I know love the reduction in traffic. Lockdowns aside, why can't we just let people work at home who are able? That would help so many things. We have the technology.

This is not 1950, yet employers are hung up on an outdated 9-5 in person work model. Many employers are using the excuse that a vaccine being available means everyone has to come back. Even those that could easily work on a hybrid schedule and only come in when needed.
I've been advocating working from home for 21 years. So many people could be working from home, and not need to be out there cramming up the roads, running over critters, intentionally or accidentally, and spewing less filth into the air.

Lockdowns should be a dream for those who actually care about the environment, (not those who just want to make money off of pretending to care about the environment).

The empty roads made my life so much easier as I was considered 'essential'. (I got the goods to people who couldn't come out.) But my most favorite part of it all was that the wildlife was actually showing themselves in great quantity.

I told the story last year about the time I literally had to get out of my car to shoo a squirrel out of the middle of the road, and he still sat there in defiance.

Maybe I looked like an idiot arguing with a stubborn squirrel, but I loved it. I loved that I had to have that little discussion, because they were happy. They were everywhere. They were enjoying it. I was enjoying them enjoying it.

And didn't we see a map at one point that showed how clear the air became because of the lock downs? Let's have that again.

Keep people working from home, for those who do office jobs, and let nature take a damn breath.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Imo, NEVER. Because, unless I am mistaken, many people who made out the death certificates with COVID as the cause of death did not list any other factors, even if they were present. So unless the medical records of every single person were examined, there is no accurate way of knowing how many deaths have occurred with COVID as the ONLY factor. -- and I doubt if anyone is going to comb through more than 600,000 records -- unless this each state health department did this immediately after each COVID death. Maybe I am wrong, but when total deaths in the U.S. were occurring at the rate of more than 2,000 deaths each day, I doubt if there was enough staff at the CDC (or even in the state health departments of in New York or New Jersey or California) to comb through each medical file and making extensive notes of previous office tests, blood work results, etc.

At this point, I think it would be like trying to figure out the exact number of those who died from the 1918 flu -- or even, for that matter, even the exact death toll of some much smaller (in numbers) tragedy like the exact number who died in the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.

Hey! The CDC could just pull off a few of the folks who are investigating the thousands of deaths and hundreds of thousands of adverse events reported to VAERS. They would make short work of it. /s

Old 07-26-2021, 11:16 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Annoying? We almost lost our business in the first one. My husband's life's work, and we're barely hanging on now. Let them eat cake.

And we got Covid anyway.
My sympathies for your situation.

My son owns a restaurant and my daughter in law was out of work for over a year from her job. She was just called back last week. They have been hanging on by a thread - another lockdown would be the final nail in the coffin.

I've been able to work from home and haven't been affected financially, but there are plenty who have been. Anyone cheering the lockdowns and championing for more are most likely considering their own situations only.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:24 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
My sympathies for your situation.

My son owns a restaurant and my daughter in law was out of work for over a year from her job. She was just called back last week. They have been hanging on by a thread - another lockdown would be the final nail in the coffin.

I've been able to work from home and haven't been affected financially, but there are plenty who have been. Anyone cheering the lockdowns and championing for more are most likely considering their own situations only.
No one is championing for more lockdowns.

The people who are championing their rights not to get vaccinated and who refuse to wear masks in public are responsible if we have another lockdown.

If they really want the economy to get back on track, they would do everything they could do to help.

If we have another lockdown, they have NO RIGHT to be upset.

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-26-2021 at 12:08 PM..

Old 07-26-2021, 11:28 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
No one is championing for more lockdowns.

The people who are championing their rights not to get vaccinated and who refuse to wear masks in public are responsible if we have another lockdown.

If they really want the economy to get back on track, they would do everything they could do to help.

They have NO RIGHT to be upset.
If there is another lockdown it will because the vaccine doesn’t work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies