Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 10:28 AM

26 posts, read 36,047 times

Advertisements

Okay, I literally do not understand and the CDC has not given a concise, explicit background reasoning for it.

Ok, here goes:

I am vaccinated
Have been since May
Moderna

Now if the vaccines are effective against every variant form of Covid-19 and there's a 0% chance of hospitalization/severe sickness, then why would vaccinated people need to wear masks now indoors?

second question..

If those people who didn't get the vaccine are going to stay unvaccinated, and that is their choice...why should the vaccinated suffer for those who decided not to get the vaccine?

I don't get it---why should be care about them, if it's up to them entirely?

Is the true answer to my second question is that it is the "compassionate humane" thing to do, to care about our fellow neighbors, citizens, and the rest of society? If so, why can't the CDC just say that?

Or is there another reason why the vaccinated should have to wear masks indoors

Perhaps they know the vaccine isn't as effective as they claim?
Perhaps the vaccine will be rendered useless once the variant mutates 2,3,4 more times?

I legit do not know and I legit do not understand
And I'm speaking from a completely non-biased, apolitical platform

Would like to hear your true opinions on why in the world (if vaccines really are as effective as they claim) the vaccinated would need to put masks back on anywhere...

Thanks

Old 07-28-2021, 11:08 AM

380 posts, read 608,304 times
The point of masks as I understand it is they are to protect others, not you. The fact is even if you are vaccinated, you can still get Covid (though it likely be
harmless) and spread to others who are vulnerable. Remember, many people can’t get a vaccine because of health condition or in the case of children, they are not available. A mask helps mitigate all this.

Old 07-28-2021, 11:24 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,881,674 times
This is mainly about your misunderstanding of the priorities.
Firstly - though - the vaccine is not 100% effective against anything. It's not, and no one ever said it was.
HOWEVER - it's still an improvement over NOT being vaccinated, so - let's start there. Next, since it's not 100%, it means you can still have it, or still give it to someone else and not know you're doing it, so IF you are wearing a mask - it's to keep that small percent of breakthrough cases from spreading to the unvaccinated (or even other unlucky vaccinated people). We should be in agreement so far. Here's where we fail:

The problem all along has been about resources - we simply have too few beds and too many possible victims remaining. When a local health care system is swamped with COVID - it is definitely NOT just the unvaccinated that suffer - but EVERYONE. Heart attacks, car wrecks, gunshots, and dog bites - we all wait in a longer line, perhaps at a different venue, when COVID takes over a hospital. Don't believe it ever happens? Ask Italy. Should we wait until we are Lombardi to take action? No. Our strategy is preventative - not reactive.

Is that financially or psychologically beneficial? Do we fully understand the consequences?

It does not matter - because that was not your question. Your question was why - and - officially - my answer is THE answer, and not my opinion at all. It's just the way it is.

___________________ _______________

Just FYI though - right now, there are (maybe) 1M active contagious cases of COVID (usa). Compare that to last fall - in November / December, maybe 6M cases simultaneously.

Some of those 1M people are gonna give it to SOMEONE. Pre-Delta, I'd say for each vaccinated person they gave it to, they gave it to 20 UNvaccinated people.

So here's the deal: Approx 1/3 of 1% of people need a mask right now - because they are contagious. That means 99.67% of people are certainly wearing a mask mainly for nothing.

Of that 1/3 of 1% - about 50,000 are vaccinated - that's about 0.02 percent of the USA. That's right. Of all vaccinated people (about 150M, usa) - about 99.97% do NOT need a mask, and 0.03% do.

This is why mask-wearing is so dang difficult to document as "effective" - it only makes a difference if you are already contagious - and very - very - VERY - few people are already contagious.

It might not show up as a "difference" if 99% of people wear one - if the 1% is the right group. Masks will appear to have zero effect. People who are waiting for "night and day" data misunderstand the scale of numbers involved. For sure, though, the masking of vaccinated people should - by the numbers - improve things only by 5% or so - and that's a tough sell, when we're talking about a small number to start with.

Old 07-28-2021, 11:35 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,964,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyMusic View Post
Okay, I literally do not understand and the CDC has not given a concise, explicit background reasoning for it.

Ok, here goes:

I am vaccinated
Have been since May
Moderna

Now if the vaccines are effective against every variant form of Covid-19 and there's a 0% chance of hospitalization/severe sickness, then why would vaccinated people need to wear masks now indoors?

second question..

If those people who didn't get the vaccine are going to stay unvaccinated, and that is their choice...why should the vaccinated suffer for those who decided not to get the vaccine?

I don't get it---why should be care about them, if it's up to them entirely?

Is the true answer to my second question is that it is the "compassionate humane" thing to do, to care about our fellow neighbors, citizens, and the rest of society? If so, why can't the CDC just say that?

Or is there another reason why the vaccinated should have to wear masks indoors

Perhaps they know the vaccine isn't as effective as they claim?
Perhaps the vaccine will be rendered useless once the variant mutates 2,3,4 more times?

I legit do not know and I legit do not understand
And I'm speaking from a completely non-biased, apolitical platform

Would like to hear your true opinions on why in the world (if vaccines really are as effective as they claim) the vaccinated would need to put masks back on anywhere...

Thanks
The vaccines are approximately 95% effective. That means we who are vaccinated still have a small chance of contracting COVID. It is called a breakthrough case when a vaccinated person gets COVID.

The new Delta variant is more contageous. Therefore, it increases our chances of getting a breakthrough case of COVID. It also speeds up the rate at which unvaxxed people get the disease, so adds to the amount of virus in the area.

Masking for vaxxed people is if you are indoors in a crowded space or you live in an area that is having a widespread outbreak.

Old 07-28-2021, 11:35 AM

45,591 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:

second question..

Thanks

Question 1 - They lied to you. Obviously this is not about COVID... or ... the vaccines aren't effective and you can still end up in the hospital and die.

Question 2 - You are 180 degrees out of phase. The vaccinated aren't suffering. The vaccinated choose to be vaccinated. The unvaccinated chose to be unvaccinated. There is equal freedom in this. There is no suffering here.

As long as we have freedom, people should be allowed to come and go as they please.

Why should my freedom be limited because you are afraid of catching COVID? Instead of mandating the behavior of others - use your freedom and stay home and lock yourself down. This way - everyone's freedom is still in tact. You stay away from the unvaccinated. You choose your quality of life and the risk you choose to take. No problems.

What will probably happen is akin to a bad Stephen King novel where the vaccinated will have the pitchforks, and the unvaccinated will hide in small societies just trying to survive from the pitchforks.

Old 07-28-2021, 11:41 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,528,817 times
This is not about public health or protecting the public. It is about imposing centralized control and domination. The effects of these revised mask mandates are targeted at the Democrat left's political adversaries, even though in fact most people who have decided not to get vaccinated are lower income Hispanic and black citizens, who the Democrats would tell you are demographically bound to support them now and for all eternity because of the melanin content of their skin.

The Democrat left is intent on coercing the Republican right into FULL submission and compliance, using literally any means necessary. It that destroys our country in the process, then that is fine with them, because our country deserved to be taken down anyway.

The other motivation for these revised mandates is that it provides a reason for still more Federal bailouts, passed by Congress, targeted towards Democrat left political causes, supporters and states.

This is all about power and control for the Democrat left and their establishment supporters. Period. The end.

Old 07-28-2021, 11:42 AM

45,591 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
The OP's question wasn't about your freedom to get sick and spread the disease to others. Try to stay on topic please.
It absolutely is on topic. His question assumes the unvaccinated harms their quality of life. That would only be valid if the unvaccinated spreads the virus around to others.

Old 07-28-2021, 11:44 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,956,917 times
To make the vaccinated even more angry and demand that the entire population get a mandatory vaccination.

That's the reason.

Has nothing to do with health.

Old 07-28-2021, 11:44 AM

18,741 posts, read 7,623,084 times
Quote:
Now if the vaccines are effective against every variant form of Covid-19 and there's a 0% chance of hospitalization/severe sickness,
Actually the scientists and doctors who developed the vaccines, say it's more like 5%. They say the vaccines have a 95% efficacy rate.

Of course, if you DON'T take the vaccines, then you have a 100% chance of catching Covid when you come in close contact with someone who has it.

Old 07-28-2021, 11:46 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
unvaccinated people should wear masks.

vaccinated people are only 5% as likely to be infected, however this Delta variant is scary enough that they're recommending the vaccinated also wear masks because of that 5%. Does that help?

But lets be real here-when the problem is 20X more likely to be the other group? No one is going to wear masks until that other group acts like it matters,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies