Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2021, 09:18 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times

Advertisements

Treehouse News is a YouTube channel by a black female ex-cop who is also a Conservative. The bigger point: She knows what it's like to be on the police force. I believe she served in Baltimore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sjD...eTreeHouseNews

Sources here:
https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/20...e-care-911-cpd
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...stead-of-cops/

Isn't being widely reported by bigger media like CNN or MSNBC -- at least not that I've found. So I'm not sure of the breadth and specifics of the program are. It is at least pretty clear that many 911 calls will be answered by social workers instead of police. Hope everyone has their popcorn ready because this train wreck is going to be spectacular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 09:29 AM

5,104 posts, read 2,050,159 times
I got a feeling then lots of social workers will quit their jobs after one year and it might bring some new memes as well.

Old 07-26-2021, 09:38 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Treehouse News is a YouTube channel by a black female ex-cop who is also a Conservative. The bigger point: She knows what it's like to be on the police force. I believe she served in Baltimore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sjD...eTreeHouseNews

Sources here:
https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/20...e-care-911-cpd
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...stead-of-cops/

Isn't being widely reported by bigger media like CNN or MSNBC -- at least not that I've found. So I'm not sure of the breadth and specifics of the program are. It is at least pretty clear that many 911 calls will be answered by social workers instead of police. Hope everyone has their popcorn ready because this train wreck is going to be spectacular.
Actually, CAHOOTS in Oregon pairs up with the police & CAHOOTS responds to more mental health issues. It’s a successful program because some situations would become more exacerbated with the presence of an armed officer. I’m baffled as to why you take issue with that.

Old 07-26-2021, 09:50 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times
Sending actual social workers on police calls is not the answer - unless the social worker has gone through Police training and is licensed and certified as a police officer, too.

It's too dangerous. IMHO

What needs to be done is more intensive training for some police officers who would then specialize in handling these kinds of calls.

Old 07-26-2021, 09:50 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
I can certainly see the benefits of pairing police officers with social workers, because I'm sure there are many situations in which a social worker's abilities would be useful to help defuse a tense situation. But I dearly hope they don't actually mean that they'll send social workers INSTEAD OF police officers, because that's a recipe for disaster.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:07 AM

5,987 posts, read 3,727,800 times
The problem is that when a call comes in for help with something, neither the person calling nor the person receiving the call is able to accurately assess the situation as to the mental state of the participants nor the potential for something to progress from a "disturbing the peace" or "domestic conflict" to a deadly shooting.

There are way too many instances in which a family quarrel or a disorderly conduct situation turns into a serious violence situation with someone getting seriously injured or killed. When you add in the fact that drugs and/or alcohol are involved in a high percentage of these type calls, you never really know what the outcome may be or who needs to be sent.

In many places, it's difficult now to get even one person (police officer) to respond in a timely manner (or at all). So how is it going to be possible to get two people to respond?

Old 07-26-2021, 10:44 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
What is crazy is they are doing this to prevent the "criminals" from being hurt or killed by the responding Police.

Here is a crazy notion, DO NOT BREAK THE LAW and the Police will not be called. If they are called for a misunderstanding then don't act like a fool when they show up.

What happens when a battered woman calls 911 on her boyfriend and a social worker shows up and the poor woman is still being beaten? How will the social worker intervene and stop the enraged man to possibly save the woman's life? Will the social worker step back and call the Police to come pick up the mess?

Sending a social worker to many 911 Police calls is like sending a smoke watcher to a 911 report of a fire. He confirms there is a fire and then makes another call to have the firefighters come out. It would save a lot of money from false calls and when your house burns down in the 30 minutes it takes for the smoke watcher/social worker to determine the fire is a real problem well that is what you have insurance for.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:46 AM

52,257 posts, read 52,668,250 times
I could only listen for a minute or two, that lady was annoying.

I agree with her sentiment though, I can't see this not turning into a crapshow. We'll have to see how this shakes out. It would be good to give it a shot and when it fails we can put this to bed and move on already.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:49 AM

1,706 posts, read 636,508 times
I have plenty of bags of popcorn ready to watch this show. Its going to be hilarious when it fails.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:53 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,132,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I could only listen for a minute or two, that lady was annoying.

I agree with her sentiment though, I can't see this not turning into a crapshow. We'll have to see how this shakes out. It would be good to give it a shot and when it fails we can put this to bed and move on already.
Agreed! She is annoying, laughing crazily, when this and the likely consequences are anything but funny, but I agree. If I, as a white person think sending social workers instead of the police “to defuse the situation” so that police aren’t needed, I am accused of being a racist, pessimist, lacking understanding of the training and skills of social workers, etc. it does require a person of color today this, but I guess even she is suspect since she has served as a police officer instead of being just a member of the community.

We have some posters who have regularly posted about how social workers are needed instead of police to de escalate crisis situations. I notice they aren’t posted on this thread. Their absence is conspicuous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies