Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 10:44 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,262 times

Advertisements

These poor kids are being set up for failure in the business world. They are pampered and told they are special and life (in theory) is this utopia where everything is equal, fair and nobody will judge you. Leftist thoughts and actions = mommy's tender embrace. This quickly ends the first day they enter the business world. I can see why they are unprepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 10:46 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Penmanship school? What even is that? Every single person I know, including my parents, learned penmanship in their regular school.

And my son's elementary school had an etiquette program in 5th grade, for all the students. I loved that because it meant that every kid had the opportunity to learn basic etiquette and be able to conduct themselves appropriately for something like a job interview conducted over lunch. It wasn't just the ones whose families could afford some kind of program outside of school.

So no, I do not think teaching basic life skills like budgeting and household economics is "watering down" high school.
The problem is with schools going more and more onto online submissions, penmanship is gonna be lost in the next 10-20 years besides people who love calligraphy. Why, it is not a skill that is used today besides signing contracts or receipts.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:46 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times
Quote:
So no, I do not think teaching basic life skills like budgeting and household economics is "watering down" high school.
I don't understand why you think high school is the correct place. Teaching irrelevant stuff in high school is indeed watering it down. Budgeting and household economics is not academic and should not be a part of an academic curriculum.

Maybe as an extra-curricular program that parents can sign up and pay for their child to attend. But not as part of academia.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:47 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Budgeting is actually just common sense. You know your income, you know your recurring expenses (groceries, rent, utilities, etc.). You subtract the latter from the former, allow for a cushion for unexpected costs, and then IF there's any money left over that's what's available for discretionary spending on "wants" instead of needs. Why in the hell does anyone need a college class to learn that?
Unfortunately it is not common sense to many... per the poll.

Personal finance should be a mandatory high school class: how a checking account works, different types of savings, how a credit card works, budgeting, etc.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:48 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Unfortunately it is not common sense to many... per the poll.

Personal finance should be a mandatory high school class: how a checking account works, different types of savings, how a credit card works, budgeting, etc.
Personal finance is not academic. It should be an extra-curricular program if anything.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:49 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Quote:
If you think math and budgeting are the same thing, then I don't know which of those subjects you don't know, but it's at least one of them. You use math in budgeting but they are most definitely separate things.
Sure they are, it’s just using common sense and applied math.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 07-26-2021, 10:54 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
These poor kids are being set up for failure in the business world. They are pampered and told they are special and life (in theory) is this utopia where everything is equal, fair and nobody will judge you. Leftist thoughts and actions = mommy's tender embrace. This quickly ends the first day they enter the business world. I can see why they are unprepared.
I don't think it is a partisan issue. Where I was brought up, the area went Republican because the "The City is Democrat, we don't want that in the burbs." Yet we millennials and I'm sure zillennials and Gen Z also were coddled. I think I only had one reality check teacher and even he said you want to go to college and not be stuck like he was earlier in life before making the switch to being a teacher.

Now when I say coddled, I'm not talking about the snowflake individualism. In fact had I wore pink as much as I have started to in my 30's back then, I would have been bullied. And mind you I was bullied for other reasons... What I do think we were coddled on was "Goto college and pick any major." Now today, yes maybe we are more in the snowflake thing with more acceptance to trans and queen teens. That said, it isn't a bad thing at all. Not everyone is the same or have the same values.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:54 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
A survey of college graduates says many wish they had been taught more life skills like budgeting in college. Basic Budgeting for 3 credits, ok. Except basic budgeting should've been taught by parents or in high school

https://pjmedia.com/culture/stacey-l...kills-n1464455

That was my FIRST thought when I read the title of the thread!!

Last edited by katharsis; 07-26-2021 at 11:30 AM..

Old 07-26-2021, 10:56 AM

1,706 posts, read 636,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
I didn't need to be taught that.
Neither did I. Its common sense really.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:57 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Without considering CRT (which isn't even really taught), what courses can you sacrifice to include "life skills 101"? I ask this anytime this has been brought up that I see it because I know it doesn't work. Not as an educator myself because it should be done, but realistically there isn't enough time to do it.

From states I have experience with for credits, this is how it breaks down in New York and Arizona. Math and science depending on state is 2-3 years and I would argue it can easily be 4. English-Language Arts is 3-4 years. Social Studies (History and Econmics/government) is 4 years. Gym can be either an elective or all 4 years. Arts is one year. Foreign language courses are one year or is an elective.

Arizona high schools are generally 6 credit hours a day. New York (at least the school district I went to) was 8 credit 40 minute periods (one of which is lunch.) Arizona is straight hours, but with New York most sciences were 3 periods in two days of school. You would either have a math or your gym switch off with it. So in reality, it is 7 credits a day. Also remember huniors and more so seniors tend to take fewer courses so they can leave earlier whether it is to do a part time job or slack off...

Understand I do want it, my complaint is that people suggest it without saying how it can be done. I want it to be done, but I can't see how it can be.

Edit as for CRT:
Spoiler
It isn't taught as a subject. What we instead see is an honest look at history. I mean should we sanitize history and for lack of better words "white-wash" it? I mean should we not talk about manifest destiny and the trail of tears because it puts white Americans in a bad light? What about slavery and then Jim Crow laws?
Basics of personal finance and budgeting can take a few weeks in any math class. Try not to make a mountain out of a molehill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies