Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 11:33 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Unfortunately it is not common sense to many... per the poll.

Personal finance should be a mandatory high school class: how a checking account works, different types of savings, how a credit card works, budgeting, etc.
How in the hell young adults get into credit card debt trouble is beyond me. Who on earth thinks it's a good idea to finance fulfilling one's unnecessary "wants" at a 32% (or similar) APR? Exactly how long does it take for people to figure out that by making only the minimum payment each month, they're actually digging themselves a deeper debt hole as that interest on the unpaid balance compounds? Seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 11:33 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,810,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I guess we are pretending the internet doesn't exist and that you cannot find all this Life Skill information readily while sitting on your sofa.

1) Search engine- enter words related to what you want to know about
2) Youtube tutorial
3) Apply learned information
4) Success

This is why I didn't need to pay a plumber or go to trade school in order to fix my washing machine.
The internet is a double edge sword.

They've dumbed down washing machine repair to the point where anyone who wants to can do it.

That is not the case for all topics. Just because the material is on the internet doesn't mean you can do it effectively.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:36 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,213,642 times
GenXer here. Where I went to school we had a required rotation in 8th grade in which 1/3 of the year was Home Economics (which included cooking, sewing and writing checks - it likely included budgeting but I can't recall), 1/3 was Art (drawing, painting, clay, etc.) and 1/3 was Shop (which included basic woodworking, basic metalwork and basic electric circuitry). I remeber enjoying it, not sure how much stuck. I don't recall my parents teaching me budgeting or many other skills honestly, but like others in this thread I had jobs as soon as I could legally work and between common sense and learning by doing I knew how to budget by the time I got to college. Which was good because I needed it for getting through college just as much as afterwards.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:36 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Budgeting today by modern progressive definitions is spending everything you have and asking daddy government to foot the bill. Get section 8, claim to be bipolar, and let the government feed and house you for 20 years.

Of course by modern republican definitions you'd have to work whatever wage the free market dictates and if the price of housing is too high, you just live in a tent for awhile, and if you have to work 72 hours a week, well suck it up.

Neither solution is ideal. Find your happy medium. As asset prices go up and highly capitalized parasites like Blackrock buy up more and more houses and other real assets, there's less and less incentive to work for a low wage, and the cultural movement towards being minimalist will increase, which ironically will probably produce more shortages on things like housing and higher prices, but in a generation or so the global population will start to decline as people refuse to work for table scraps while middle management parasites reep all the benefits while being inept at their jobs. Decreased demand may lead to housing being affordable in a generation or two as the population decreases, assuming 3 large corporations don't own every piece of real estate in the world by then.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAverageTX View Post
With that logic, why teach CRT?
I don't know much about CRT, but it appears to be scholarly work and academic in nature.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:39 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I guess we are pretending the internet doesn't exist and that you cannot find all this Life Skill information readily while sitting on your sofa.

1) Search engine- enter words related to what you want to know about
2) Youtube tutorial
3) Apply learned information
4) Success

This is why I didn't need to pay a plumber or go to trade school in order to fix my washing machine.
You are assuming they know what they don't know.

Example: someone who is just sliding into deeper debt because they always pay the minimum amount on their credit card is most likely not aware that is the wrong way to use credit cards. They never realize they are lacking knowledge so never search for answers.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:42 AM

2,982 posts, read 1,165,820 times
College kids today live in a bubble on campus!!

Old 07-26-2021, 11:43 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Life skills are not academic... You wouldn't teach calc in dance school, would you?

I'm not seeing why people are trying to make high school something it is not. High school is already watered down these days compared to the past.
I would teach how a credit card and checking account work before I would teach calc. Unless one is going into a math-heavy discipline, they don't need calc. But EVERYBODY needs to know about checking accounts and credit cards.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
How is it more watered down now than before? Music gone, art gone, drivers Ed gone, etc
One example is that in a lot of schools, basic math like Calculus is optional.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:46 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I would teach how a credit card and checking account work before I would teach calc. Unless one is going into a math-heavy discipline, they don't need calc. But EVERYBODY needs to know about checking accounts and credit cards.
well, since Calculus wasn't invented until the 17th century, it was not taught by Plato, which apparently makes it a non-academic subject? It's hard to say since the definition appears to be so malleable as long as it fits someone's particular POV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies