Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 11:52 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,428,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Speaking on an interview in April, “White Fragility” author Robin DiAngelo posited that comedy is “an excuse to be racist.”

Speaking to interviewer Joseph Jaffe, DiAngelo stated, “So comedy is, I think it’s an excuse to get to be racist, right? Like irony. And I think TV shows like ‘Family Guy’ and ‘South Park,’ maybe a little bit ‘The Simpsons,’ right, allowed white people to be racist self-consciously, right?”

“Like I know I’m being racist and therefore it doesn’t count and it’s okay,” she continued. “And it’s a lot like what I exposed that couple to at dinner. I’m still reinforcing racist tropes and ideologies and stories. It’s still being reinforced in everybody’s mind who’s listening, and so I don’t think it’s benign to do it in a joking way. And there is a concept in comedy called punching up, not down. So you know, you want to punch up, there’s very different power dynamics and it doesn’t hurt in same way, it doesn’t invoke a deep deep centuries long history of oppression when you poke fun at say, white people, but it’s very very different when you poke fun at people of color.”

https://www.dailywire.com/news/white...e-to-be-racist

How can anyone laugh when everything is racist? REEEEEE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 11:55 PM

9,979 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Why anyone cares what that dour shrew has to say about anything is beyond me. Comedy was built to pierce right through the tiresome pomposity of social hall monitors like her, and that's why people like her want to shame it out of existence.

Old 07-27-2021, 02:11 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
“Like I know I’m being racist and therefore it doesn’t count and it’s okay,” she continued. “And it’s a lot like what I exposed that couple to at dinner. I’m still reinforcing racist tropes and ideologies and stories. It’s still being reinforced in everybody’s mind who’s listening, and so I don’t think it’s benign to do it in a joking way. And there is a concept in comedy called punching up, not down. So you know, you want to punch up, there’s very different power dynamics and it doesn’t hurt in same way, it doesn’t invoke a deep deep centuries long history of oppression when you poke fun at say, white people, but it’s very very different when you poke fun at people of color.”
Punching at only white people is not punching up, it is punching based on skin colour, which is what a racist would do.

Punching up is punching at politicians and famous people regardless of their skin colour, but they actually get more outraged if you target someone rich and famous that is on their side. If you listen to those woke comedians, you will actually notice that they keep punching down at poor white people.

Old 07-27-2021, 06:03 AM

1,866 posts, read 933,645 times
These leftists suck the fun out of everything, they're nothing but irritating killjoys who find fault in everything and always get offended. They're social vampires who will suck the joy & fun out of your friendships and social gatherings. Your best option is to defriend them and stop associating with them.

Old 07-27-2021, 06:11 AM

45,222 posts, read 26,431,296 times
So brave to speak out about racism in 2021 lol

Old 07-27-2021, 06:14 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,389,880 times
She seems......fragile.

Old 07-27-2021, 06:37 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
What we need more of given the way 2021 is going is more laughter not less.

Family Guy has long been a funny show that takes jabs at everyone. They have a black character, Cleveland, and the show pokes fun at black guy stereotypes. The have a character in a wheelchair, Joe, and there are plenty of handicapped jokes. What few find offensive are the jokes that revolve around the main character Peter. He is big fat guy but I guess fat shaming of a white male has not reached the level of outrage that other groups are offended by. I guess fat white guys are not a protected class.

Comedy is comedy and if we can't laugh at ourselves and others what is left?

Old 07-27-2021, 06:39 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
What's the real motive to highlight racism in America? What's the bottom line. Find a unique angle and Write a book, make a buck.. hum, that could be it.

Racism exists because people exist. You don't need to buy a book to know that.

Old 07-27-2021, 08:52 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
She seems......fragile.

Anti white racism is an industry that has treated her well.

She fears when non racists illuminate the foundation of sand of her beloved shaky income stream.

She will be OK for a while, there are still enough racist koolaid swilling leftists touting her book and lectures.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:04 AM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Robin DiAngelo is a slimy greasy race hustler, the same way Sharpton is, no difference. I think the damage these people do is just ridiculous, I know we have a 1A and she can say what she wants, but to push this stuff and the resulting division and damage it causes is unconscionable to me.

All of this stuff needs to be openly mocked and ridiculed for what it is, it's a racket and if we start treating it as such and again, ridicule it. That is one of the best weapons there is, mocking and making fun of these people drives them insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies