Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should drinking age be lowered to 18 from 21 ?
YES ,to 18 74 59.20%
NO,to 21 45 36.00%
BETWEEN 18-21 6 4.80%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 10:00 PM

4 posts, read 8,517 times

Advertisements

in my opinion it should be changed to 18 because teens this days like to be rebellious and thats why they drink thinking they are all that just because they are doing something illegal. For an example my brother who is 16 drinks because he likes to be rebellious. My mom ones called the cops and they told her they couldnt do nothing!!.. because he wasnt the one who had bought it. so they should change it to 18. In this modern world we all see teenagers who are 15 16 17 18 19 drink they all do it because they see everybody around them do it. Teenagers these days like to drink because its what they think is "IN" (modern). I go to clubs and see everywhere teenagers drinking, they all get inside the clubs and drink. Cmon like if the guards dont notice that they arent 18, they only do it because they have to do it legally to see what age they are. They only ask them what age they are and the birthday and booom they are inside dont even ask for ID or nothing. We are in a different century now we are in the century 2000, sorry but i am not offendin people who still think that their child shouldnt be in parties, or having sex, or drinking or get married virgin. We have entered a new century where parties, drinking, sex, are involved. In my opinion i insist that it should be lowered to 18. At age 18 they are legal adults they can get married, buy house, get in the army and die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 11:26 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
That's a circular argument. Circular arguments are fine for teens arguing amongst themselves but serve no other function. Part of the maturity of adulthood is the ability to separate logic from BS.
The former-federal government has no constitutional authority to control or establish the drinking age. That is a right reserved for the states, and it is up to the people of each state to establish a drinking age, just as it is the right of each state to determine whether or not alcohol should be sold at all, and if it is, when and under what circumstances.

If each state should set different drinking ages, well, too bad, you'll survive in spite of the fact that your perfect world with uniform order has been made less perfect and uniform.

Quote:
Actually, the drinking age was 18 in many states but that social experiment was a dismal failure.
It was neither an experiment nor a failure. The former-federal government coerced the states into raising the drinking age to 21 by refusing to give states highway funds from taxes paid on motor vehicle gasoline unless the age limit was raised.

Quote:
The fact that 18-year-olds can vote, fight in wars, marry, etc. are holdovers from another time when an 18-year-old was expected to actually be doing something other than sitting in his or her parent's house playing video games.
Then raise the video game playing age to 21.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:23 AM

63 posts, read 426,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futexan View Post
I vote YES.

U have the right to manage $1 billion inheritance at 18,

to marry & be a parent,

to vote politicians who control nukes,

u should have the right for a drink ...

wtf u talking abiout I know 16yr olds who smoke weed.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:28 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The former-federal government has no constitutional authority to control or establish the drinking age. That is a right reserved for the states, and it is up to the people of each state to establish a drinking age, just as it is the right of each state to determine whether or not alcohol should be sold at all, and if it is, when and under what circumstances.

If each state should set different drinking ages, well, too bad, you'll survive in spite of the fact that your perfect world with uniform order has been made less perfect and uniform.

It was neither an experiment nor a failure. The former-federal government coerced the states into raising the drinking age to 21 by refusing to give states highway funds from taxes paid on motor vehicle gasoline unless the age limit was raised.

Then raise the video game playing age to 21.
Stand up and take bow. Posts are rarely authored better than this one.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:47 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times
I'd have to agree with lower the age ALONG WITH having parents to teach their kids to drink responsibly. Most of this stems back to parents being so restrictive and/or overprotective that in due time when the kids are out on their own (i.e. College), they go wild. I've seen it every single year since I've attended college. My parents allowed me to drink at the age of fifteen, but told me where, when, and how much to drink. They never restricted me when it came to stuff such as drinking, curfews, and sexual activity, but told me what to do, what not to do, and how to be moderate with it. But I have to give credit to the fact that this unusual freedom was due to my stellar academics and lack of trouble with the law I maintained during my teen years. With that, I saw these things as mundane very soon and didn't have the urge to be rebellious by overdoing these things. That's what I mostly credit for me being alleviated from the usual teenage indulgences. Now in college, many peers I talk to have countless stories about restrictions after restrictions from their parents (along with how they "worked their way around it") and witness now how they indulge in things like drinking, drugs, or sex, with excess either to express their freedom, to see how it is, or to rebel from their parents.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:10 AM

209 posts, read 657,807 times
the united states has the highest drinkage age limit in the world. yet we have the most drunk driving accidents. much of europe is at age 16 and they dont seem to have many drunk driving accidents (although not alot of them own cars). i think that if you lower the drinking age that less people would do it because it doesnt give them the "thrill of doing something illegal and getting away with it". but, you should definitely punish the drunk drivers severely, or else they wont stop.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:25 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
i never knew so many young ones were on CD!!! I would have voted NO, but it was not a possibility as the poll had closed already.

lowering the age limit will make it more accessible to a group of people who is not very responsible to begin with. accident data, according to age, supports this argument. saying that it makes it enticing because it is ilegal and kids like to be rebellious is an awful argument. while many kids do not follow the law, we should not reward them by lowering the age limit. it should stay the same and they should learn responsibility first and foremost.

its crazy the stories my teacher friends tell me. Kids these days are very wreckless. they see DUI's as nothing serious. everyone gets them. their fav celbrity gets them. unfortunately it seems that this is as much a rite of passage, as is totalling your first car. its no big deal to do this for kids. its unbeleivable.

18 y/o's are not mature enough to handle intoxication. they can handle guns, sure, but intoxication? no. many 21 y/o's cant handle intoxication.

its interesting that nationally, student body presidents at colleges are looking to have the drinking age lowered. with all the problems of binge drinking and date rape and all that mess you would think presidents would be interested in ensuring a safe learning environment. instead they seem more interested in being able to drink and party.

this new generation of kids has me worried.

as for statistics, the only thing that can happen is more DUI's, more accidents and more deaths. by keeping it illegal for people under 21 to drink the gov't is able to control some people. people will still drink while under age, but they do so, knowing the ramifications. its suppsoed to be a deterrent, and anything that delays the onset of drinking alcohol is fine. kids are not mature, not 18, not at 21. they think they are. but when they reach their late 20's or early 30's they begin to understand maturity. its the truth. in my youth i thought i was ready for the world. even having gone thru what i did in life, i was not mature till the mid 20s.

having kids also changes how you feel about drinking and drugs.

i think kids should be focused on establishing their life and careers before dabbling with intoxication.

while some kids can handle their liqour and drugs responsibly, most cant. my cop friends, tell me. my teacher friends tell me. my nurse friends tell me. its the reality. but kids dont see this.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:28 PM

630 posts, read 1,294,521 times
yes, to 18. if you can die for your country at 18, you should be able to drink at 18. america is too sheltered.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:30 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,881 times
State's rights issue. Reagan caved to MADD and stripped highway funds from states that didn't bump up the drinking age.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:57 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,129 times
Don't do it. We have the age for drinking in the UK at 18. The drinking death rate for teens is high. The arrests for violance and drunken behaviour for teens is high. Knife crime for drunken teenagers is high. from 13/14 onwards, kids want to drink and see it as 18 so they feel they are close enough. We have HUGE drinking problems with teenagers in the UK because of the low age limit. Don't go there, it will bite you in the backside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies