Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 10:16 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,727,652 times

Advertisements

I know that by just mentioned Evergreen College on these boards is bound to set off the trolls, but I'm truly interested in hearing the opinions of others.

I've watched several interviews of Brett Weinstein and I've heard his perspective, but I've also read a few articles that argue against what he has said. Generally speaking, I come down on the side of Weinstein, mainly for the fact that I believe that in a discussion all voices should be heard. I also think it's wrong to declare that someone else is "racist" because they hold opinions that don't conform to the Critical Race Theory ideology.

What I'm looking for in this thread are people who have since changed their minds about the incident and I'd like to know why. I'd love to hear from a student who protested Brett, but now has regrets, or just someone who strongly supported the protestors.

I'm also interested in hearing from people who supported Brett Weinstein at first, but have since changed their minds. Why is that?

As always, let's keep it civil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 10:19 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,525,554 times
Have you changed your mind?

Old 07-29-2020, 10:23 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
I know that by just mentioned Evergreen College on these boards is bound to set off the trolls, but I'm truly interested in hearing the opinions of others.

I've watched several interviews of Brett Weinstein and I've heard his perspective, but I've also read a few articles that argue against what he has said. Generally speaking, I come down on the side of Weinstein, mainly for the fact that I believe that in a discussion all voices should be heard. I also think it's wrong to declare that someone else is "racist" because they hold opinions that don't conform to the Critical Race Theory ideology.

What I'm looking for in this thread are people who have since changed their minds about the incident and I'd like to know why. I'd love to hear from a student who protested Brett, but now has regrets, or just someone who strongly supported the protestors.

I'm also interested in hearing from people who supported Brett Weinstein at first, but have since changed their minds. Why is that?

As always, let's keep it civil.
Good luck with finding anyone who sided with the students against him. However even if you do, there is little chance of an educated and reasoned discussion with those "woke" PC kooks who wanted him hung from the nearest tree for having the gall and temerity to express a differing point of view.

You do not come back from such insanity unless you have a brain transplant or get out of a rehab center.

`

Old 07-29-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Have you changed your mind?
Not really. When I first heard about the protests, I was somewhat indifferent.

But then I saw some videos and articles online about what happened and I heard Brett speak, I found him to be a pretty reasonable guy.

I also tried to find articles that defended the protestors' side, and they also made some good points as well.

All in all, I still think that Weinstein's treatment was quite unreasonable and I strongly believe that these protestors were looking to the wrong person. I see Weinstein as an ally in their causes - and they would have also seen that, had they the maturity to sit down and speak with him.

Old 07-29-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Good luck with finding anyone who sided with the students against him. However even if you do, there is little chance of an educated and reasoned discussion with those "woke" PC kooks who wanted him hung from the nearest tree for having the gall and temerity to express a differing point of view.

You do not come back from such insanity unless you have a brain transplant or get out of a rehab center.

`
I don't believe that one bit. When people calm down, move away from the mob mentality and mature, they often see the error in their ways.

Old 07-29-2020, 10:37 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
I don't believe that one bit. When people calm down, move away from the mob mentality and mature, they often see the error in their ways.
Maybe you have not seen the same videos I have. Sure some people can make a change depending on how far gone they are.
However many of his critics that were interviewed seem like militant activists, lesbians (or gender questioning types) with multiple tats, piercings, etc.
You do not come back from being a homo or having tats unless you go through aversion therapy to try to become hetero, and have laser surgery.
Neither of which I suspect those individuals intend on doing.

They seemed very comfortable in their indigence and hatred of anything other than total capitulation to their radical Nazi like behavior.

`

Old 07-29-2020, 11:01 PM

9,984 posts, read 5,686,999 times
The Evergreen State fiasco is one of those morally clarifying events that exposes a person's basic values because there's precious little "grey area" for morally sane people to debate over. A state-funded institution turned over its facilities to a race mob and allowed it to harass, intimidate, and physically threaten people based on their racial make-up -- it was about as clear-cut a violation of the affected parties' civil rights as you can get short of turning dogs and water cannons on them. If the race roles were reversed there'd be zero debate about how the university had descended into a shamefully retrograde state and heads would have rolled starting with the state higher education board and stopping just short of the campus janitors. It rightfully cost the university both in financial payouts and in a massive enrollment drop.

If anyone has changed their mind on the Evergreen State debacle, it's almost certainly because they finally had a moral awakening as to what an evil ideology is being nurtured on too many college campuses across the country.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:09 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Calling potential contributors "trolls" is not a great way to kick off your thread.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:19 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,360,787 times
This guy was a student at Evergreen at the height of the craziness. He's a pretty calm and rational sort so he's not twisting things to fit a narrative. He has lots of videos of events as they happened and interviews of students, teachers, etc., including Bret Weinstein. If you really want to get into the details about what went on at Evergreen, this is the place.

Last edited by Angry-Koala; 07-29-2020 at 11:29 PM..

Old 07-29-2020, 11:25 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,360,787 times
Quote:

I'm also interested in hearing from people who supported Brett Weinstein at first, but have since changed their minds. Why is that? ...
I suggest you start here with this interview of one of Bret's students:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5vPKwlIbCE

Then watch this video of Bret Weinstein himself reasoning with the students that were protesting against him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nawe3lC74jI

Then possibly round it out with this one called :Who Set the Students Against Bret Weinstein?":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmQUBQ4t64E&t=136s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies