Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2021, 09:38 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Sad, when you consider so many of them can't handle wearing a mask to the grocery store, yet they rag on an athlete who c9mpetes in one of the most dangerous sports when she decides to step back from competing rather than risk her safety because her head's not completely in the game. For most of then their most strenuous activity is walking to the fridge for another beer.
What's even more hilarious about conservatives is they sit here and rip Simone Biles for being "weak and soft" and "using mental illness as an excuse."

In the meantime they shed crocodile tears about all these "poor kids who are depressed and who are killing themselves" because COVID is making them stay at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 09:53 PM

1,768 posts, read 567,342 times
It’s super weird that people are engorged with sputtering rage at Simone Biles over this. Like really, really “what is wrong with you?” levels of weird.

Old 07-28-2021, 09:56 PM

8,478 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
It’s super weird that people are engorged with sputtering rage at Simone Biles over this. Like really, really “what is wrong with you?” levels of weird.
Yep, especially given that this is consistent with behavior from way before the Olympics. I’d dig up the article, but frankly the reporting on this is so far and wide that I can’t find where she outlined this, years ago in the aftermath of the Nassar scandal.

It’s an agenda in search of any dubious scrap of evidence.

None of my professors would have let me get away with this kind of shallow evidence.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:02 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Now I get it, if I don't agree with you it's because I'm angry..! Sounds like something that a democrat would say...
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Published July 17

Tom Brady playing entire 2020 season with torn MCL

An MCL tear is far more serious than hurt feelings...

PS, haven't watch3d any of the games, too many athletics representing America aren't real Americans.. Just a bunch of left wing WOKE losers

And breaking your neck because you crash out with the twisties is far more serious than an MCL tear.

This isn't just about "hurt feelings" or even anxiety. It's about the well-known phenomenon of gymnasts and divers losing spatial awareness. According to other top gymnasts, of which I'm sure you are not, the only way to combat it is putting in serious time at a training gym over a foam pit (not mats, which will not protect someone against serious injury in this case) to rebuild the neural connections and muscle memory that make that kind of movement possible.

It's a great sign of Simone's poise and focus that she was able to bail out of her vault on her feet when she did a 1.5 turn instead of a 2.5. It seems like many are underestimating just how different those two turns are.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:05 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times
Her stance isn't heroic or virtuous, but it shouldn't be condemned. Not particularly brave either as she knew she would be lauded for her "bravery".

But the general point of the OP that historically this would have been viewed as a choke is of course true. I also wonder if Lebron pulling out in Gm 7 because he wasn't feeling it would be viewed quite generously. Or any man in fact...

Old 07-28-2021, 10:07 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
If by "weird" you mean "cruel and inhumane" I agree.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Tomorrow I am going into work and telling them I am taking a "step back" for my mental health...

I will then wait for my applause.

Do you do something at work where a loss of spatial awareness or even the slightest dip in focus could cause life or death injury?

If I go in for a surgery, I don't want a surgeon who can no longer visualize my anatomy or who is struggling to move their hands in a way that they have trained them to move. I don't want a pilot who can no longer remember the motions of how to fly the plane and who has lost all of their instinct. Similarly, I don't want a gymnast who knows that she lost her muscle memory in high-flying tricks.

The biggest embarrassments in America right now are those arguing that she should do something dangerous because it would make them feel better. It's almost like they want her to fail in a way that causes serious bodily injury.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:09 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,583 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Her stance isn't heroic or virtuous, but it shouldn't be condemned. Not particularly brave either as she knew she would be lauded for her "bravery".

But the general point of the OP that historically this would have been viewed as a choke is of course true. I also wonder if Lebron pulling out in Gm 7 because he wasn't feeling it would be viewed quite generously. Or any man in fact...
You want to try a cartwheel this evening? Or a handstand?

NOT PARTICULARLY BRAVE, what Biles was doing, MANY times, until she realized she couldn't do it? That she shouldn't do those extreme gymnastics moves that no one else is now attempting?

Old 07-28-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post

If Lebron loses focus, he might sprain his ankle. That's not what we're talking about with Simone. The only other people to compare this to are other gymnasts and high-level divers, all of whom are supportive of her decision.

What makes her brave is that she is showing up to all of her teammates' competitions despite knowing that the uninformed peanut gallery's eyes are all on her because she *dared* prioritize her safety over a competition. I agree, that shouldn't have to be considered brave, but this thread shows exactly why it is.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:14 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,583 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Do you do something at work where a loss of spatial awareness or even the slightest dip in focus could cause life or death injury?

If I go in for a surgery, I don't want a surgeon who can no longer visualize my anatomy or who is struggling to move their hands in a way that they have trained them to move. I don't want a pilot who can no longer remember the motions of how to fly the plane and who has lost all of their instinct. Similarly, I don't want a gymnast who knows that she lost her muscle memory in high-flying tricks.

The biggest embarrassments in America right now are those arguing that she should do something dangerous because it would make them feel better. It's almost like they want her to fail in a way that causes serious bodily injury.
I feel both ways. There are some who wanted to be "TEAM AMERICA" and wanted Biles to stomp over the other countries, and wanted to feel like they are winners because she is a winner. And they're angry that she's bowed out. I get that.

There are others who wanted her to lose because they always hated her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies