Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2021, 08:28 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
The poor girl from Utah that won silver on the vault had to almost apologize and basque isn’t the glory of Biles for her quitting and allowing her the opportunity to compete. Strange how almost every interview this girl had she had to bestow so much credit on the quitter.
She is from Arizona - born and raised there - not Utah. As is the woman who won Gold on the floor skill. Biles, at herself, would have won all the golds. Sunisa Lee said as much when she stated that the most any of them could hope for was silver before Biles quit. It is just a fact. There is no one near Biles level and may never be again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2021, 08:28 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
why would she be allowed to compete if she's having equilibrium problems?.....she should have been sent home a couple weeks ago. Her career is done.

Old 08-03-2021, 08:43 AM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
How nice of her to recover from her mental illness and win bronze.

Guess she realized she didn’t want to fly halfway around the world for nothing.

Old 08-03-2021, 08:50 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
She is from Arizona - born and raised there - not Utah. As is the woman who won Gold on the floor skill. Biles, at herself, would have won all the golds. Sunisa Lee said as much when she stated that the most any of them could hope for was silver before Biles quit. It is just a fact. There is no one near Biles level and may never be again.
It’s appropriate to say someone if from “XYZ” if they are a collegiate athlete. Akin to a QB being from Notre Dame or Alabama which means they attended that school are were notable athlete representing it while not being from there.

Old 08-03-2021, 08:54 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,964,626 times
So I thought she could die if she performs? She's okay now? She decided not to fully walk out on the team?

I'm sure the media will be saying she's still a "hero."

Old 08-03-2021, 08:54 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Congratulations to her for winning the gold.
Back here on planet Earth I believe she won the bronze for the balance beam.

Old 08-03-2021, 08:59 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
why would she be allowed to compete if she's having equilibrium problems?.....she should have been sent home a couple weeks ago. Her career is done.
There will always be a convenient excuse to explain away anything.

She didn't do well because she couldn't take her drugs. She dropped out because of mental health issues. She was able to compete because she lowered the difficulty of her routine. On and on and on.

And anyone that dares to say anything about Simone that doesn't glorify her, is just a mean-spirited, 'hateful racist.' This is why her teammates and the media keep gushing over her, because they are petrified that if they don't go along with the program, they will be shamed and crucified.

Like I said before, she quit because she couldn't handle the pressure that she brought onto herself. She then uses the convenient 'mental health' cop-out excuse, knowing very well that many people will automatically side with her. Despite her denials, she was bothered because she knew in her heart she quit. You don't go from anointing yourself the GOAT and wearing GOAT themed attire at the trials, to suddenly having a 'mental health' crisis at the Olympics.

Her ego therefore took a humongous hit, and the only way to salvage this embarrassment and shame was to make one last appearance in an individual event. It's no coincidence it so happened to be the beam, on the very last day of gymnastics competition. What better way to craft the narrative of a 'courageous' comeback performance than that.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:11 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
There will always be a convenient excuse to explain away anything.

She didn't do well because she couldn't take her drugs. She dropped out because of mental health issues. She was able to compete because she lowered the difficulty of her routine. On and on and on.

And anyone that dares to say anything about Simone that doesn't glorify her, is just a mean-spirited, 'hateful racist.' This is why her teammates and the media keep gushing over her, because they are petrified that if they don't go along with the program, they will be shamed and crucified.

Like I said before, she quit because she couldn't handle the pressure that she brought onto herself. She then uses the convenient 'mental health' cop-out excuse, knowing very well that many people will automatically side with her. Despite her denials, she was bothered because she knew in her heart she quit. You don't go from anointing yourself the GOAT and wearing GOAT themed attire at the trials, to suddenly having a 'mental health' crisis at the Olympics.

Her ego therefore took a humongous hit, and the only way to salvage this embarrassment and shame was to make one last appearance in an individual event. It's no coincidence it so happened to be the beam, on the very last day of gymnastics competition. What better way to craft the narrative of a 'courageous' comeback performance than that.
Nailed it. I've been vilified for expressing these exact sentiments. I'm just a regular person, certainly no gold medal winning gymnast, but here in the real world, we aren't congraulated for ditching our team at the last minute and walking out on them in front of BILLIONS of TV viewers so we can "take care of #1," leaving them high and dry. That's selfish and wrong. We're only given props for persistence and hard work. The team were the real heroes. And that Twitter video? Can't get more staged than that.

Even an amateur can grab the uneven bars. Biles could have done that in her sleep. Likely her performance fell off because of her age (or whatever,) she didn't want to risk losing her endorsements and $$$ because she couldn't win, and she claimed she dropped out due to "twisties" in as public a way as possible so she could remain the media darling. She was certainly aware of Olympic pressure and the Olympics had been postponed a full year; she could have quit long before.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:17 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Nailed it. I've been vilified for expressing these exact sentiments. I'm just a regular person, certainly no gold medal winning gymnast, but here in the real world, we aren't congraulated for ditching our team at the last minute and walking out on them in front of BILLIONS of TV viewers so we can "take care of #1," leaving them high and dry. That's selfish and wrong. We're only given props for persistence and hard work. The team were the real heroes. And that Twitter video? Can't get more staged than that.

Even an amateur can grab the uneven bars. Biles could have done that in her sleep. Likely her performance fell off because of her age (or whatever,) she didn't want to risk losing her endorsements and $$$ because she couldn't win, and she claimed she dropped out due to "twisties" in as public a way as possible so she could remain the media darling. She was certainly aware of Olympic pressure and the Olympics had been postponed a full year; she could have quit long before.
From reading this thread it looks like Simone Biles could have saved herself a lot of trouble by just doing something that the right wingers would have interpreted as "hating America" rather than doing what she did in these Olympics.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:30 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Saw an interview about the bronze where she said, "I just wanted to go out there for me and that's what I did." I think that's the problem for many of us, the games used to be about doing it for your country, not yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies