Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 12:04 PM

1,794 posts, read 882,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
A couple hundred million doses of mRNA vaccines administered and not a single report of GBS. Don't be a martyr for the anti-vaxxers. Get the shots girl, go to school, collect 200K and get on with your life.
Try reading the article next time.

Old 07-28-2021, 12:17 PM

5,039 posts, read 2,251,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Even the oldster leadership is in favor of vaccines. Yes, some members are more progressive, but there are still tons of more conservative people. Out of my extended family, I think my brother and I are the only ones not full steam ahead on the Trump Train. My daughter learned a lovely new word from the F Biden sign on our street. Etc.
I don’t entirely disagree, and I wouldn’t call BYU “leftist”, but I know a LOT of younger Mormons who voted for Biden (or didn’t vote). Maybe my cousins and siblings are an anomaly, but more than half were/are anti-Trump.

I also think BYU Hawaii might be influenced a little bit by politics in the state. Hawaii has been one of the most hyper when it comes to Covid measures.

One big change I see in social attitudes among LDS is the softening toward gays. I don’t think God suddenly remembered to tell the prophet that it’s okay to be gay. I think the change came from my generation and younger not being good with seeing our friends and loved ones ostracized or sometimes even excommunicated for being who they are. Even my parents were forced to backtrack on this one when my youngest sister came out.

Old 07-28-2021, 12:31 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,850,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I don’t entirely disagree, and I wouldn’t call BYU “leftist”, but I know a LOT of younger Mormons who voted for Biden (or didn’t vote). Maybe my cousins and siblings are an anomaly, but more than half were/are anti-Trump.
This may be true, but this ruling didn't come from younger Mormons in the rank and file, came from the top of the administration. How many young left-leaning Mormons are in the top echelon of the school? I'd wager not many.

Old 07-28-2021, 12:44 PM

3,245 posts, read 1,471,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Possibly she should go to another school and stop bleeping whining.
Well since a ton of colleges require the vaccine it would be difficult. If you get a scholarship you can't change colleges at the drop of a hat. If you read the article they did not give her the notice until June that they would require the vaccines.

Old 07-28-2021, 12:51 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times
Whenever we adopt a "zero tolerance" policy about anything it means the people making that decision are ignorant about the issue. Not only ignorant but unwilling to even think about it, or try to understand it, because they are either too dumb or too lazy to draw lines based on logic and reason. I get it, issues are complicated, things can be tricky, you might have to make a judgement call and you don't want too because it could bite you in the butt later....but those people are useless and need to be removed from whatever position of authority they have and replaced with those who are willing to do their jobs.

Old 07-28-2021, 01:35 PM

25,480 posts, read 18,612,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
You live in Utah. Don’t pretend that there aren't more and more progressive ideas amongst younger Mormons, and that even at BYU professors and teachers are not staunch Republicans from birth. I’m roughly a half-century old and am the oldest of 34 first cousins. Very few of my cousins share the same political and social ideology found among our parents’ generation. Times they are a changin’.
I live in Utah. The population centers have largely become left-wing swillholes. In the rural areas, there is still some sanity remaining, but the numbers just aren't there to stand up against Utah's Leviathan.

Old 07-28-2021, 01:49 PM

5,192 posts, read 4,648,878 times
Mormon Universities brainwashing their graduates to be leftists. What is the world coming to.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:05 PM

3,245 posts, read 1,471,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Mormon Universities brainwashing their graduates to be leftists. What is the world coming to.
Mitt Romney is a Mormon that I would say leans more left and does not care about personal freedoms.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:12 PM

5,533 posts, read 2,255,580 times
BYU has a campus in Hawaii, Utah and Idaho. The school allows each campus to set their own vaccine mandate. Only BYU Hawaii mandates the Covid vaccine. Wonder if she's checking with BYU regarding attending a different campus (Utah or Idaho) which doesn't mandate the vaccine.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:16 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,027,395 times
It's for her protection and the protection of the other students.

There is always online learning. She can still get her degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.