Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 02:28 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
It's for her protection and the protection of the other students.

There is always online learning. She can still get her degree.
Nobody is being protected except the administration who don't want to apply rational thought to the situation and would rather pass a blanket policy so they can say "our hands are tied" than make a decision. And nobody asked for this "protection" and we have no clue what someone's field of study is or if they can get a degree online or not.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:30 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Nobody is being protected except the administration who don't want to apply rational thought to the situation and would rather pass a blanket policy so they can say "our hands are tied" than make a decision. And nobody asked for this "protection" and we have no clue what someone's field of study is or if they can get a degree online or not.
in your opinion...

Can Colleges require Covid vaccines?

Vaccines are our way of ensuring that we can be together for a normal fall semester,”

While fewer of our young people get sick from Covid, the evidence clearly shows that they are significant carriers,” DeWine said...."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/07/u...quirement.html

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-28-2021 at 02:59 PM..

Old 07-28-2021, 03:01 PM

3,393 posts, read 1,547,174 times
Quote:
It's for her protection and the protection of the other students.

There is always online learning. She can still get her degree.
How about college age students have very little risk of covid and now we are making people sissy's afraid of a virus with a 99 percent survival rate. Freedom is more important than safety. She will not get the same education online. Your user name is appropriate. How about there should be exceptions to the rule . You could say it's discrimination because of her medical condition. One person not taking a vaccine is a big deal Jesus .

People are losing their rights. She earned the right to a good education.

If you let terrorists get you scared the terrorists win. If you dramatically change life for a virus the virus wins.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:10 PM

Normal is accepting people will catch viruses if you try to make every one wear a helmet walking down the street you are absurd.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
I don't think you can sue the vaccine makers. They made you sign "I understand the vaccine has not been FDA approved and I may die from it. I willingly take the risk and the manufacturer will not be held responsible."

In the case you posted, the university is probably afraid of multiple lawsuits if they were to bend the rules and students got covid. If they deny her, the worst case scenario is they only need to pay off her lawsuit. It's cheaper.
Ya you make a good point there is a reason for why they decided that way.

Old 07-28-2021, 04:00 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,306,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
...She will not get the same education online. ...
BYU has 2 other campuses which don't mandate vaccines. She can attend in-person at those other campuses without a vaccine.

Old 07-28-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
BYU has 2 other campuses which don't mandate vaccines. She can attend in-person at those other campuses without a vaccine.
Seems like they are being dishonest with the story then. Do both of those campuses offer the same degrees? I remember reading what she was majoring in but I forgot. Maybe her scholarship was only for that university and they did not let her know about the mandate till June so she loses the scholarship and does not have the money to go to the other schools. I'll get to the bottom of this. I think the main problem is losing the scholarship. So it looks like yes she can attend the other schools but she lost all of her scholarship money.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 07-28-2021 at 04:17 PM..

Old 07-28-2021, 04:14 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,151,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
How about college age students have very little risk of covid and now we are making people sissy's afraid of a virus with a 99 percent survival rate. Freedom is more important than safety. She will not get the same education online. Your user name is appropriate. How about there should be exceptions to the rule . You could say it's discrimination because of her medical condition. One person not taking a vaccine is a big deal Jesus .

People are losing their rights. She earned the right to a good education.

If you let terrorists get you scared the terrorists win. If you dramatically change life for a virus the virus wins.
You do not have a "right" to a particular college education. There are all sorts of conditions for admission; otherwise, anybody could attend Harvard. BYU-H has made the suggestion that she look at one of their other campuses, and that's what she needs to do. My kids had to submit proof of vaccination to return to their state universities for in-person classes, and my husband's employer required proof of vaccination, too. I feel badly for her, but it is what it is.

Old 07-28-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Ya I'm not religious right I think drugs and prostitution should be legal. I'm libertarian. The right takes away rights sometimes too.

Old 07-28-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
You do not have a "right" to a particular college education. There are all sorts of conditions for admission; otherwise, anybody could attend Harvard. BYU-H has made the suggestion that she look at one of their other campuses, and that's what she needs to do. My kids had to submit proof of vaccination to return to their state universities for in-person classes, and my husband's employer required proof of vaccination, too. I feel badly for her, but it is what it is.
Ya if you meet the academic requirements you should be able to go to Harvard. Only 4 percent get accepted into harvard.colleges have no business mandating vaccines nor preschools . If I was a governor I'd stop all vaccine mandates for colleges or any institution.

The problem in her case is she lost all her scholarships. I'm ok with even stricter academic requirements but zero vaccine ones. She met every condition except the vaccine one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies