Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2021, 06:36 AM

14,729 posts, read 9,679,171 times

Advertisements

Would anyone care to bet the variant plays out in the northern states in the fall? just like the alpha virus did?

Get ready.

This virus (along with new future variants) will be with us through 2024. In the not so distant future, it will be addressed like the flu and treated with therapeutics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2021, 08:40 AM

4,596 posts, read 3,271,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Here's how it works: The COVID virus is very small. No mask will block it once it becomes aerosolized. However, before it becomes aerosolized, it's bound in bigger particles of your breath in vapor form as well as any sort of mucous that's expelled. Those particles are large and most masks, even cloth masks with a very tight weave, can stop a good amount of that. Not all of it of course, but noteworthy. Remember, viral load means a lot.

If that spit-rolled virus stays in your mask, it generally doesn't release in the air and get broken up by air currents, dry air, etc. to become aerasolized. Once aerosolized, the only help is N95 and goggles.

So, in that way masks do work to some degree, but the onus is the on the person who is infected versus the person who's not but is worried about it and wears the mask.

Without good mask compliance, yeah, masks don't really work.
Thank you, ChristineVA, for replying for me. I would have said the same thing, but probably not as nicely and clinically as you did.

Old 08-03-2021, 08:47 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,749,085 times
DeSantis isn't saying your kid can't wear a mask. He is giving families a choice. I support him 100%. I reluctantly got the jab recently and still plan on wearing my mask, but I still support his decision.

DESANTIS 2024

Old 08-03-2021, 09:16 AM

57,057 posts, read 26,024,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
DeSantis isn't saying your kid can't wear a mask. He is giving families a choice. I support him 100%. I reluctantly got the jab recently and still plan on wearing my mask, but I still support his decision.

DESANTIS 2024
So a child that is carrying the virus can add to the aerosols in a confined space by not wearing a mask while others choose to limit the spread. What a great governor he is.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:21 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,497,754 times
Default Florida again breaks record for COVID-19 hospitalizations

The number of people hospitalized for COVID-19 in Florida rose to an all-time high of 11,515 patients in one day, according to data the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services released Tuesday.

The data is used by the Florida Hospital Association to track admissions and staffing shortages. The figures also show 2,400 of those patients are in ICU beds.

The addition of 1,126 more COVID patients in Florida hospitals was announced amid a power struggle between Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and local officials over how to protect children and staff as the school year begins.

Broward County's school board voted last week to require facial coverings when in-person learning resumes this month, enforcing the latest recommendations of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But the board reversed itself after DeSantis signed an executive order preventing mask mandates in schools, and
empowering the state to deny funding to any districts that don't comply.

Broward's board had responded to the latest science on the virus, which suggests that while vaccinated people are extremely unlikely to be hospitalized or die from COVID-19, they can still spread infection among those who haven't had their shots. This revelation prompted the CDC to recommend "universal indoor masking for all teachers, staff, students, and visitors to K-12 schools, regardless of vaccination status.â€

“Unfortunately, Dade and Broward County lead the nation in hospitalizations,†Broward County Mayor Steve Geller said Monday. “The numbers are doubling every 10 or 11 days. Geometric progression. This is horrifying.â€

Old 08-03-2021, 09:22 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,497,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So a child that is carrying the virus can add to the aerosols in a confined space by not wearing a mask while others choose to limit the spread. What a great governor he is.
He is a moron.

Old 08-03-2021, 10:20 AM

3,214 posts, read 1,382,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Why must Gov. DeSantis's position be described as pandering? He's upholding EXISTING rights of individuals.

You calling his protection of our constitutional rights pandering is hyperbole and a false narrative. His position is main line conservative/republican voters, in line with the RPOF and the RNC.
LOL…you accuse me of hyperbole and false narrative. That is rich.

Old 08-03-2021, 10:24 AM

3,214 posts, read 1,382,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
He is a moron.
So concise; so astute; so brilliant.

Old 08-03-2021, 10:40 AM

13,168 posts, read 21,762,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
And there is the million dollar question that is already been asked, if COVID is such a dire pandemic, and the democrats really say it is, WHY OH WHY are they ignoring the border? when there are several variant strains from south America making its way here on top of Delta variant?
So you're telling us that with all these new variants pouring across the border, something that DeSantis has no control over, DeSantis' brilliant method to deal with it is to tell Floridians to not follow CDC guidelines. And you think this is a good thing?

DeSantis is not an epidemiologist and he is endangering the health of his constituents for political expediency. It's criminal.

Last edited by kdog; 08-03-2021 at 10:52 AM..

Old 08-03-2021, 11:46 AM

17,504 posts, read 38,984,566 times
[quote=. What a great governor he is.[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes he is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies