Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2021, 08:26 PM

15,844 posts, read 21,388,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
As of today there are 15 children in Florida who are in the hospital and have tested positive for Covid (please note that does not say they are in the hospital for Covid). That is one out of every 297,219 Floridians under 18.

There are four in intensive care.

Zero deaths.

Perhaps this is why Governor DeSantis wants parents to decide whether or not their child should wear a mask.

Masks are causing social, emotional, and developmental delays in children, particularly for those under 12. God help us when the flu comes if you think these numbers justify mandatory masking.

If parents get to decide whether or not their child should wear a mask, then teachers should be able to decide whether or not they are willing to teach them in a classroom. After all, teachers are more at risk and if everyone's opinion is equal, then surely you agree that's a good compromise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 08:39 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,234,251 times
Quote:
As of today there are 15 children in Florida who are in the hospital and have tested positive for Covid (please note that does not say they are in the hospital for Covid). That is one out of every 297,219 Floridians under 18.

There are four in intensive care.

Zero deaths.

Perhaps this is why Governor DeSantis wants parents to decide whether or not their child should wear a mask.

Masks are causing social, emotional, and developmental delays in children, particularly for those under 12. God help us when the flu comes if you think these numbers justify mandatory masking.
Hmm
I'm reading different stats from CDC
"Florida currently leads the nation in kids hospitalized for Covid-19, with 32 pediatric hospitalizations per day between July 24 and 30 (a rate of 0.76 children hospitalized per 100,000 residents), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) data shared with The Tampa Bay-Times shows.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimam...h=33f7bf383be9

And that's from last week since Florida hasn't released this weeks stats yet - I wonder why!!!
I'm guessing it has doubled.

Yes, there have been deaths unfortunately.
Why do you think your sources are so much different than the official numbers?

Old 08-04-2021, 08:50 PM

31,974 posts, read 14,984,230 times
Quote:
Seeing as how school is not in session they didn’t catch Covid from the children, now did they?

He has said masks need to be the parents’ decision. As a long term educator who witnessed last year the negative impact masks had on the emotional atmosphere in the classroom, particularly at the elementary level, I agree. I supervise student teachers so I went into at least 15 classrooms a week, it was universal.... and heart breaking. We will be dealing with the negative impact of these policies for decades.

I find this interesting. My sister has been a special ed teacher for decades and her kids had no problem wearing a mask. In fact, all teachers I know, said their kids had no problem wearing masks. I honestly don't see the emotional toll it takes on them. But they have all acknowledged that the isolation of being at home for these kids took an emotional toll on them. Better to mask up then to be isolated.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:57 PM

3,343 posts, read 1,227,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Because idiot Biden has open borders allowing illegals, not tested for Covid, to enter TX, FL and everywhere else. Biden needs to fix the border.

Desantis is doing the right thing.
Why do people like you think there has been some massive influx of illegals spreading covid like crazy.its total nonsense.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:58 PM

3,343 posts, read 1,227,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

I find this interesting. My sister has been a special ed teacher for decades and her kids had no problem wearing a mask. In fact, all teachers I know, said their kids had no problem wearing masks. I honestly don't see the emotional toll it takes on them. But they have all acknowledged that the isolation of being at home for these kids took an emotional toll on them. Better to mask up then to be isolated.
Sure and better to be in school without a mask for a virus that doesn't effect them

Old 08-04-2021, 09:00 PM

11,129 posts, read 10,681,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Perhaps you haven't heard, but there is a massive outbreak happening in Florida right now. Right now the state accounts for about a fifth of all cases in the country. Large groups of unmasked children in classrooms will just further accelerate that spread.

Really, with how much COVID is in Florida right now they should return to remote learning until they can get it under control.
Do you live in Florida? If not, why are you so up in arms about how we run our schools? Remote learning was an utter train wreck in Florida. Under no circumstances should we return to that fiasco. We’d be better off canceling the school year than making another attempt at that fiasco.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:05 PM

LOL I love the tweet that said we should build a wall between the US and Florida. Florida doesn't border any country so DeSantis really needs to get a handle on his state instead of trying to deflect.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
Sure and better to be in school without a mask for a virus that doesn't effect them
It does affect them though.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:13 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,616,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
Why do people like you think there has been some massive influx of illegals spreading covid like crazy.its total nonsense.
??? Why do people like you want to deny the damage being done by infected illegals

I was in the emergency room last week and two illegals were in there also and one wasn't wearing a mask as required !!! So yeah, it has an impact !!!

Old 08-04-2021, 09:29 PM

25,549 posts, read 18,659,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Two custodians at one of the schools died from the virus in the last few days. One of the board members said, “To me, it’s not being defiant. It’s being reactive to what the situation is.”
Just chain the kiddies up in the backyard with Fido. That'll save the janitors. And just to be safe, get the janitors hazmat suits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies