Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2021, 10:22 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
That is the jist of it, unfortunately. I am a renter - I wish landlord's were running charities, but they are not.
Unfortunately for you they have been running a charity per the government edict of no evictions.

I say unfortunately for you because you may not realize it but you are one of the predominant donors to that charity.

I can guarantee you that every single landlord that is either corporate, professionally managed or otherwise not a dunce is going to factor in the governments ability to screw them royally into your FUTURE rents.

The government should have allowed for eviction due to non-payment unless the person can prove they are getting no income and there is no available work or otherwise hardship. Or at least require half payment or some simple means otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2021, 10:23 AM

39,843 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
This is a good example why I am so confused as I stated in another thread. Millions of people risk becoming homeless. But yet the housing market is crazy right now. Like how??
Not just "the market", but housing construction has been through the roof. Around my area, we have been in a housing boom for the last 2 decades, with farm land being converted into housing developments and covered with apartments at an insane rate. How do we have a "housing shortage"?

Our population has nearly tripled in the last 30 years. Are other areas losing that much and leaving empty homes? Given the number of California refugees in Idaho I have to wonder if half that state isn't an abandoned wasteland.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:25 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
NOT extending the eviction moratorium is the first intelligent thing Biden has done. Forcing property and home owners to provide free housing to deadbeats is wrong at any time (including when done by Trump) but especially NOW when everywhere is hiring. The deadbeats lived rent-free, but the property owners still have to pay their mortgages, utilities and upkeep, and especially their TAXES. No wonder so many rental property owners are selling out, and so many others are raising rents to try to survive.

Funny isn't it? While government scr*ws property owners, and businesses and individuals with forced shut-downs, not one local or state government did away with property, income or sales taxes. And very few, if any, government drones lost their jobs, even when they were not working.
Damn it! Biden did NOT do it...he wanted it extended.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:28 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
This is a good example why I am so confused as I stated in another thread. Millions of people risk becoming homeless. But yet the housing market is crazy right now. Like how??
Because the people that stopped paying and will be evicted are still occupying those units so they are competing for rental units in their own special way as squatters of a sort.

There will (as history repeats itself) be another housing collapse in the nearer future as the cycle of boom and bust continues but I do not know when nor how severe it will be, it's just obvious looking at the huge spike in home values and as always it will hit some areas much harder than others.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:28 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Unfortunately for you they have been running a charity per the government edict of no evictions.

I say unfortunately for you because you may not realize it but you are one of the predominant donors to that charity.

I can guarantee you that every single landlord that is either corporate, professionally managed or otherwise not a dunce is going to factor in the governments ability to screw them royally into your FUTURE rents.

The government should have allowed for eviction due to non-payment unless the person can prove they are getting no income and there is no available work or otherwise hardship. Or at least require half payment or some simple means otherwise.
I agree. I am already seeing it when I check to see what apartments are now going for in my building (up around 20%).

But I also think the new cash child tax payouts are playing a role. Government can't give millions in the country a raise (in the form of child tax credits cash) at the same time without markets responding accordingly.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:32 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Damn it! Biden did NOT do it...he wanted it extended.
This is true. It was a supreme court decision and Biden did not want to end it.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:35 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,471,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Because the people that stopped paying and will be evicted are still occupying those units so they are competing for rental units in their own special way as squatters of a sort.

There will (as history repeats itself) be another housing collapse in the nearer future as the cycle of boom and bust continues but I do not know when nor how severe it will be, it's just obvious looking at the huge spike in home values and as always it will hit some areas much harder than others.
I hear some people saying this while others saying no, it will not be a repeat of 2008.
But what you are saying make sense.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:37 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
NOT extending the eviction moratorium is the first intelligent thing Biden has done. Forcing property and home owners to provide free housing to deadbeats is wrong at any time (including when done by Trump) but especially NOW when everywhere is hiring. The deadbeats lived rent-free, but the property owners still have to pay their mortgages, utilities and upkeep, and especially their TAXES. No wonder so many rental property owners are selling out, and so many others are raising rents to try to survive.

Funny isn't it? While government scr*ws property owners, and businesses and individuals with forced shut-downs, not one local or state government did away with property, income or sales taxes. And very few, if any, government drones lost their jobs, even when they were not working.

It will take years for county courts to provide due process to the backlog of all non paying tenants.

Some landlords with the means have paid non -paying tenants to vacate and did so to cut their losses.

Section 8 pays 60-70% of the rent owed. Those who accept Section 8 vouchers for a portion of rent payments continued to receive those payments, all along.

The CDC, under Trump, issued the first two moratoriums which persisted in the Biden Admin. SCOTUS said “ enough”. Nothing prevents Congress from acting. Then there’s various state, county and local government moratoriums independent of Federal action.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:44 AM

33,999 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It will take years for county courts to provide due process to the backlog of all non paying tenants.

Some landlords with the means have paid non -paying tenants to vacate and did so to cut their losses.

Section 8 pays 60-70% of the rent owed. Those who accept Section 8 vouchers for a portion of rent payments continued to receive those payments, all along.

The CDC, under Trump, issued the first two moratoriums which persisted in the Biden Admin. SCOTUS said “ enough”. Nothing prevents Congress from acting. Then there’s various state, county and local government moratoriums independent of Federal action.
Congress wisely did not act as an election is coming up. To extend it on behalf of deadbeats who disproportionately do not vote in mid-terms, would be political suicide.

I suspect most deadbeats will couch surf with relatives crazy enough to allow for it.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:48 AM

1,137 posts, read 447,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Every state has eviction laws that give tenants the right to notice, a hearing/ trial/ appeal. When all is exhausted, most tenants leave before county sheriffs take action.

Some landlords cut through the red tape and cut their losses when they pay a tenant to move.
Seems to me if the tenant isn't paying on time there should be zero debate. The tenant should be removed forcibly if necessary.

All the sudden we don't prosecute shoplifters, we don't evict deadbeat tenants, we allow people to riot and occupy public property illegally, we tolerate illegal immigration and we tell grown college students they can borrow money and expect others to foot the bill. This is all related. We are training people to be a burden to those who have worked hard and have achieved some success.

As we have stopped enforcing responsibility for one's own actions, those actions have become more and more irresponsible. Why not? If there is no consequence why would we expect people to respect the rules of society or the rights of others? It is time to bring this to a head. No one is owed a free ride or owes others one. If deadbeats don't pay, toss them out. There are tent cities everywhere these days, give the deadbeats a WalMart tent, directions to the nearest hobo camp and let someone move in that will pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies