Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2021, 05:36 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,878,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Welp, looks like progressives got their wish: a new eviction ban by Biden.

All the landlords out there who voted for Biden now understand that elections have grave and serve consequences.

In 60 days, when the new ban ends, we’re back to square one. Again.
The eviction ban isn't the problem.

The problem is the Federal government doesn't have a corresponding foreclosure ban. Do they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2021, 05:38 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,878,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Landlords now will try sell their properties because the profits don't measure up to the risk. Renters will face hard times they never faced before the pandemic. There are no winners here, we'll be all hurting.
All according to plan

https://slate.com/business/2021/06/b...al-estate.html

Old 08-03-2021, 05:38 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,080,998 times
Quote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Saturday.html

Yikes, talk about a man with no sympathy. No wonder 50% of Americans ignore him and refuse to get a vaccine, he has yet to make any good decision and has broken every promise. I can see the buyers remorse from Democrats now.
your post just backfired in your face

Joe Biden announces an extension on the eviction moratorium, it will protect 90% of American renters.

https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status...57084840189959

Old 08-03-2021, 05:39 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
You are only telling one side of this situation --- and imo, you are being disingenuous. 3.5 million people all fit in your little world? $7.25 an hour full time won't even get a person a tent in someone's backyard --- get real.

Report Finds Min. Wage Earners Can’t Afford One-Bedroom Rental in Most of US

"In order to afford the average two-bedroom rental in the country, a worker must make $24.90 an hour, or over $51,000 a year. That means nearly 60 percent of American workers wouldn’t be able to afford a two-bedroom home. The report defines affordability for rent as no more than 30 percent of a person’s income, a common standard."

Do people know you like to snoop in their boxes, you're delivering?

Some tenants being forced from their homes after eviction moratorium expired

People have lost their businesses, their homes and you think they are partying on the $3,200 in relief they got, oh yea and that added $300.00 to the UI, which equated to $3000.00 a month?

I will have to say, this does not add up, to what is going on with evictions:

There’s an unemployment cliff coming. More than 7.5 million may fall off

"The extra funds had a small impact on job-finding among workers, but didn’t significantly hold back the job market, according to economists Fiona Greig, Daniel Sullivan, Peter Ganong, Pascal Noel and Joseph Vavra, who authored the analysis.

“We conclude that unemployment supplements have not been the key driver of the job-finding rate through mid-May 2021 and that U.S. policy was therefore successful in insuring income losses from unemployment with minimal impacts on employment,” they found.
<snip>
Some economists argue pandemic-related factors, not benefits, are the primary reasons workers may not be returning to the workforce as quickly as anticipated.

For example, parents may still not have adequate child care; those who can’t work from home may still be cautious for health reasons; workers may have relocated away from jobs, or changed industries, during the pandemic."

However, stop with the argument, "I can do this everyone else can too" --- no one working in reality will believe that argument even for a minute.
"Disingenuous" is when you completely hide the fact that I said that these jobs are paying twice, sometimes three times the amount, of minimum wage.

Why did you pretend I didn't say that, multiple times? Can you explain why you chose to pretend I said the jobs all started at $7.25/hr?

You know what else is 'disingenuous"? Pretending that there is only one way to work - in a building owned/rented/leased by the company.

I gave numerous options, and yet again, you pretend I didn't point them out.

You don't want to see the truth. You don't want to even have an honest discussion about it, because you completely and totally hide behind false premises.

Aldo, the items are not in brown boxes. I literally go into the store and get it for them. Again, you fail to see beyond the proverbial box...the brown, generic box.

Old 08-03-2021, 05:39 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
He's a truck driver. Supplies, while slow going, didn't stop. Of course he had work.

Oh, by the way, EllisBell, that's another line of work that many could have gotten into. There is a high demand for truck drivers. MANY schools will 'pay' for you to attend, and you pay them back, or 'x' amount back in your first year of trucking.

All you need? A CDL. How much is that? About $150. Stimulus check could have got someone one of those. People had a ton of time to be studying up for the test. In fact, they could have studied up on the HazMat tests to make them even more desirable to trucking companies. Stimulus check could have paid for that license, as well.

Could have studied hard for 6 months, taken the tests, got the licenses, gone to school, usually done in about a month or so, be out on the road with their trainer for however long the school has them with a trainer, and then, they would have been on their own right now, making money.

If they were OTR truckers, they wouldn't have to worry about rent....their truck IS their home.

Don't tell me people can't find jobs.
I looked into that once --- you should too. Find out the downsides to it, that I already know. 3.5 million people.

Old 08-03-2021, 05:41 PM

30,393 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Wrong, I don't think detached houses should be owned in mass and rented out. That's what apartments are for. Detached houses should (yes, I know they aren't) by law be limited to one per family
You would hate my hood since about every house is rented out and the rest have sat empty since 2010. I live in the most run down part of FL on the gulf so no wonder homes were selling for 20k back in 2012.

Old 08-03-2021, 05:41 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
"Disingenuous" is when you completely hide the fact that I said that these jobs are paying twice, sometimes three times the amount, of minimum wage.

Why did you pretend I didn't say that, multiple times? Can you explain why you chose to pretend I said the jobs all started at $7.25/hr?

You know what else is 'disingenuous"? Pretending that there is only one way to work - in a building owned/rented/leased by the company.

I gave numerous options, and yet again, you pretend I didn't point them out.

You don't want to see the truth. You don't want to even have an honest discussion about it, because you completely and totally hide behind false premises.
3.5 million people all have 3.5 million different problems that led their situation --- use a bit of common sense and stop putting everyone in one box.

Old 08-03-2021, 05:42 PM

34,001 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
Welp, looks like progressives got their wish: a new eviction ban by Biden.

All the landlords out there who voted for Biden now understand that elections have grave and serve consequences.

In 60 days, when the new ban ends, we’re back to square one. Again.
SCOTUS will properly deep six it once a test case reaches them. Their first decision was very strongly worded showing there is no wiggle room.

Now JB trying this move by itself will cost Democrats seats next November in swing states, even if those losing seats denounce his move. Guilt by association.

Old 08-03-2021, 05:43 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,512,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
UK isn't a first world country. They had to be bailed out of 2 world wars, have to provide free everything to people, have obnoxious royalty. Gross existence to me and we are unfortunately headed down the same path.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
The eviction ban isn't the problem.

The problem is the Federal government doesn't have a corresponding foreclosure ban. Do they?
No, that expired last weekend as well. However, while there is no ban on foreclosures, there was an extension of the ban on evictions related to foreclosures, at least for FHA loans.

FHA Extends Eviction Moratorium, But Foreclosures on Schedule to Resume

Old 08-03-2021, 05:43 PM

30,393 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You're lucky. In my neighborhood in Phoenix, rental detached homes are going for around $3,000/month, where the rent for my 2 bed 2 bath apartment is $1,800/month. The houses aren't much bigger sq ft wise than my apartment either, around 1,200sq ft on average
Homes are only renting for around 900 a month on the gulf in my area. Yikes i sure won't be moving to your state nate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies