Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2021, 06:08 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The ideal of owning is to hedge yourself against future rent increases, which have plagued Phoenix hard. The apartment I rented 7 years ago for just $700/month is now $1,100/month. The 2 bedroom I rented after that for $950/month is now $1,550/month. And home prices have equally gone insane. The median home price in my neighborhood has doubled since 2015, from $270k to $540k. If I had been earning then what I am now, you bet your a$s I would have bought
Even if you own a home you are forced to pay more for prop taxes and Ins every year. At least i paid cash for my house and go bare so i am not forced to pay for HOI and Flood INS. I have saved enough over the years to buy another house by going bare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 06:10 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
The new eviction moratorium will be struck down by the courts. They've already ruled as such and Biden is just throwing a bone to the left to eke out a few more months.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:35 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
The fact that you think that self driving trucks will take over in 5 years shows you have no knowledge of my industry. They are nowhere near ready for prime time
I think within 5 they will change the industry significantly. Automation never comes in one swoop. The R&D invested is also superb, and may lead to other automation as well.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:38 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I think within 5 they will change the industry significantly. Automation never comes in one swoop. The R&D invested is also superb, and may lead to other automation as well.
I can see one of them trucks going nuts and killing 20 peeps on the highway and ending that BS.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:39 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
I have little sympathy. Congress passed a bill that included some 45 billion dollars in rental relief.

Yet, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Bill said that the tenants, not the landlords, must file for the money so it can be paid to their landlords. If the tenants do not file, the landlords get nothing.

I am not sure about whether landlords could file so that their mortgage companies get money. Many landlords have lost their properties.

I imagine this has been discussed herein, but it is many pages now.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:47 PM

1,925 posts, read 557,027 times
Quote:
I would own my own truck if I had the startup capital. And btw, working for an employer isn't the same as renting housing, as it doesn't cost you money smh
For the purpose of this conversation it does cost you money if you want to become an owner rather than a 'renter'. You say "I would own my own truck if I had the startup capital," Well, many would own their own house if they had the down payment, but they don't. Is that the big, bad landlords fault? Why in the world would you blame them for your not being able to afford a purchase by making the ridiculous statement that they've bought up all the houses so you don't have one to buy, and what would you now do without them?

Old 08-04-2021, 07:12 PM

1,925 posts, read 557,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Usually I'd agree with this, but this entire situation isn't this simple. In a lot of cases we essentially said to the rig driver do not drive that rig. In fact, we said it to just about all the rig drivers. The rig drivers then say but I am being told do not drive and produce revenue.
I assume the "we" you are talking about is the government via the shutdowns. Correct me if I am wrong. The government FPUC provided an extra $600 weekly benefit for all weeks of unemployment between April 5, 2020 and July 31, 2020, in addition to the benefit amount an individual would otherwise be entitled to receive under state law. There have been extensions and other programs for the unemployed, along with a 46 billion dollar renter relief package sent to the states to be distributed....which hasn't been. Ah, the efficiency of government. To my knowledge, no one has told the banks to waive the mortgage payments on the landlords rental properties. You are right, it is not a simple problem, nor has it been handled well.

Last edited by Stepnking; 08-04-2021 at 07:23 PM..

Old 08-04-2021, 07:17 PM

18,428 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
The new eviction moratorium will be struck down by the courts. They've already ruled as such and Biden is just throwing a bone to the left to eke out a few more months.
wasn't it already struck down by the courts?....

didn't the courts rule that it could play out on it's own...end on the 31...but if they extended it....it would require congress

isn't that right?

so they don't have the power to even do this right now

Old 08-04-2021, 07:21 PM

18,428 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

Yet, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Bill said that the tenants, not the landlords, must file for the money so it can be paid to their landlords. If the tenants do not file, the landlords get nothing.
no.....the tenants filed....the paperwork is very simple...AND....requires no proof...none

the government gave the money to the tenants...with no stipulation for them to pay one penny in rent...to the landlords...they can spend it on anything they want

....the landlords have been royally screwed

Old 08-04-2021, 08:43 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
The leftist extremists know it would take months for a successive suit to make its way through the courts and get to the Supreme Court once again. And they are grabbing for every opportunity to turn various agencies like the CDC to turn into dictatorial bureaus with the power to impose laws, accountable to no one.

It doesn't have to. SCOTUS hears direct appeals from states. In fact, just this past January Texas appealed directly to SCOTUS over election certification. SCOTUS responded in 2 days. They ruled to not hear the case but could as easily rules to take it. Plus, a district judge could issue an injunction halting it on the grounds it is likely to be ruled unconstitutional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies