Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2021, 04:06 PM

1,925 posts, read 557,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Where I live, it isn't especially difficult to evict non-paying tenants. What has been difficult is getting housing in the first place. This on top of the moratorium might make some landlords want to enact stricter rules for getting in. Landlords are getting hit hard. Very soon the productive, hardworking individuals will get hit very hard. It will get harder to rent. Some places where housing is at a premium, it will only get worse.

It's known that extending the moratorium isn't going to solve the housing issues in some places. Kicking the can down the road, well, no one wants to touch the issue. If we extend the moratorium, it will only hurt the landlords. If we say "enough", the newly evicted might do some crazy things. I think one reason we keep kicking the can down the road is because there are no solutions that anyone can come up with. The Pandora's box was opened back in 2020, and well, it's too late.(bold mine)
There was no Pandora's box opened in 2020. There was relief protection extended at the very height of lockdowns. It was never intended to last forever. In 2021 it has been extended multiple times, along with unemployment payment extensions, plus several incentive checks being sent out resulting in giving money away plus stopping people from being charged for their debt. The 2021 people who created this are charged with ending it. Your opinion "there are no solutions that anyone can come up with" reflects these people don't know what they're doing.

We will see how the CDC vs. the SC turns out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2021, 04:16 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The Alabama and Georgia chapters of the National Association of Realtors filed a motion in federal court to vacate the ban that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ordered Tuesday. This motion was filed with the same federal judge in Washington DC who originally ruled in their favor, before the case was eventually appealed to the SCOTUS, which ruled that the CDC had no authority to issue such a mandate, but that they would allow it to stand through last Saturday, since it was expiring so soon.
Quote:
Landlords sue to stop Biden's 'nakedly political' eviction ban

Trade groups representing property owners late Wednesday sued to block a new federal eviction moratorium that President Joe Biden himself warned this week was on shaky legal ground.

The Alabama and Georgia chapters of the National Association of Realtors filed a motion in federal court to vacate the ban that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ordered Tuesday. The same groups led a legal challenge against the prior federal eviction moratorium that expired Saturday — a lawsuit that prompted the Supreme Court to cast doubt on the CDC's authority.

The real estate groups — which have warned that their members are facing substantial financial losses from the moratorium — said in a legal filing that the CDC caved to a "tidal wave of political pressure" from outraged Democrats when it revived the eviction ban despite clear warnings from judges who said the agency lacked the power to enforce it. “The CDC appears to have acted in bad faith,” the groups said.

The industry groups' new legal motion will go before U.S. District Judge Dabney Friedrich in Washington. She gave landlords a win in May when she ruled in an earlier lawsuit that the CDC had overstepped its authority in imposing the first ban. That case is still on appeal. Friedrich granted a stay of her own decision while it was pending, prompting the housing industry groups to petition the Supreme Court in June in a bid to end the moratorium. In response to a request for emergency intervention from the trade associations, the Supreme Court in a 5-4 decision on June 29 allowed the moratorium to continue until its expiration last Saturday.
So this same federal district judge, who ruled in the realtors favor before and is therefore clearly up to speed on the case, is reviewing the motion. It is hard to imagine that her initial ruling that the CDC had no legal authority to issue such an order is changed, now that she is also backed up by a concurrence by the Supreme Court to confirm her initial position.

Maybe I am reaching here, but the question now appears to be just how quickly this CDC order is going to get struck down.
The CDC eviction ban did not matter to some States and/or the judges within that State.

The CDC banned evictions. Tens of thousands have still occurred

"... in September, the CDC made an unprecedented announcement: Most evictions had to be halted through the end of the year. Dr. Robert R. Redfield, director of the CDC, signed a declaration that said evictions could get in the way of the nation’s attempts at curbing the coronavirus.
<snip>
... many of the statewide bans were in place for 10 weeks or less. North Dakota and Iowa halted the proceedings for only about a month.

Meanwhile, seven states, including Ohio, Georgia and Wyoming, never stopped evictions."

CDC 'protections' was never law to begin with, why are we thinking it's law now? What I see are people wasting time and taxpayer money ... Meanwhile back at the ranch, cases are going before the courts and the judge in that courtroom will decide.

Old 08-05-2021, 04:24 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
The Alabama and Georgia chapters of the National Association of Realtors filed a motion in federal court to vacate the ban that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ordered Tuesday. This motion was filed with the same federal judge in Washington DC who originally ruled in their favor, before the case was eventually appealed to the SCOTUS, which ruled that the CDC had no authority to issue such a mandate, but that they would allow it to stand through last Saturday, since it was expiring so soon.

So this same federal district judge, who ruled in the realtors favor before and is therefore clearly up to speed on the case, is reviewing the motion. It is hard to imagine that her initial ruling that the CDC had no legal authority to issue such an order is changed, now that she is also backed up by a concurrence by the Supreme Court to confirm her initial position.

Maybe I am reaching here, but the question now appears to be just how quickly this CDC order is going to get struck down.
I suspect within 48 hours, a ruling for the plaintiff comes out.

Old 08-05-2021, 04:27 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I suspect within 48 hours, a ruling for the plaintiff comes out.
A landlords association has also filed suit, and the judge has ordered the regime to respond back by 9AM tomorrow. At this pace, it could even happen by lunch tomorrow.

Quote:
The judge in the D.C. District Court gave the Biden administration until 9 a.m. Friday to respond to the emergency motion. The motion asks the court to vacate its May 14 order which allowed the government to continue enforcing the eviction moratorium despite the fact the court said it was illegal.

If the stay pending appeal is vacated then the eviction moratorium will no longer be in effect. The case could quickly escalate to the D.C. Court of Appeals or the Supreme Court no matter the outcome at the district court.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/real-est...ry-leader-says
All the court has to do apparently is vacate the existing stay on the previous federal court ruling, which the SCOTUS has already ruled on. It sounds like a pretty straight forward formality at this point.

Old 08-05-2021, 04:28 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
A landlords association has also filed suit, and the judge has ordered the regime to respond back by 9AM tomorrow. At this pace, it could even happen by lunch tomorrow.
Friday would be awesome.

Old 08-05-2021, 04:42 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Brace for impact, coming soon to a neighborhood near you.

As Eviction Moratorium Ends, Faith Groups Brace for Impact

"Congress allotted over $45 billion to states to provide assistance to households behind on rent in recent stimulus packages but only a portion of the funding has been distributed. Lake said it was “frustrating,” that so little had been distributed, noting that there is not a coordinated system to handle the application and rent aid distribution process."

'The calm before the storm': Communities brace for end of eviction moratorium

""We're kind of waiting with bated breath, but we are nervous about the potential impact that this is going to have," said Isaac Sturgill, a staff attorney with Legal NC, a nonprofit law firm that handles numerous eviction cases throughout the state."

Old 08-05-2021, 05:30 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
The housing market in the better areas of Florida has gotten tight. I talked to a couple this week who have been priced out of the area that they had been looking to move to.

It's only a matter of time before people discover your neck of the woods. If you are living on the gulf for 50K that is an amazing steal of a deal.
I can still buy homes for 40k in my area.

Old 08-05-2021, 05:33 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepnking View Post
There was no Pandora's box opened in 2020. There was relief protection extended at the very height of lockdowns. It was never intended to last forever. In 2021 it has been extended multiple times, along with unemployment payment extensions, plus several incentive checks being sent out resulting in giving money away plus stopping people from being charged for their debt. The 2021 people who created this are charged with ending it. Your opinion "there are no solutions that anyone can come up with" reflects these people don't know what they're doing.

Well CV19 is never going away and much worse is to come with the Pam Am version that will be 5 times worse than the Delta. Huge crash coming for homes so i sold what i had left. Not going thru a another 2007 again and lose 650k on a house.

Old 08-05-2021, 05:39 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepnking View Post

I wasn't talking about the relief. I was talking about Covid-19 itself. If not for Covid-19, we wouldn't even be talking about this. We have vaccines, but some refuse to take them. Other people are looking for ways to keep grifting.

Old 08-05-2021, 05:41 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I can still buy homes for 40k in my area.
Not where I live. Small homes where I live are going for $300,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies