Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 05:29 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The Pfizer vaccine was developed by BioNTech, a German company in Germany, and with German funding.
I have seen this said on this board a few times. Maybe those few times were all your posts, I don't know.

But this is incorrect information, or at the very least, incorrect by omission.

Pfizer was one of the 9 companies that received Operation Warp Speed funding. At first, like everything else involving Trump, someone at Pfizer was trying to distance themselves from him, by making a false statement. It was purely political. They retracted that statement later, but perhaps you missed that. I will quote the retraction below.

Pfizer did, in fact, receive $2 Billion from the Warp Speed program. That is why the US got such large quantities so quickly, immediately after the conclusion of the research. In fact, it was the very first vaccine we received, and it was all that was available back when I got my vaccine as a front line worker.

Quote:
Pfizer head of vaccine research and development Dr. Kathrin Jansen initially said Pfizer was not a participant in Operation Warp Speed because it did not accept taxpayer funds for research and development, but Pfizer released a statement saying her comments had been "taken out of context" and confirmed that Pfizer was a part of the Warp Speed program. The White House confirmed Pfizer's involvement and the government's initial advance-order purchase for a hundred million doses of vaccine. Company representatives said in November that "the company is part of Operation Warp Speed as a supplier of a potential coronavirus vaccine," and that "Pfizer is proud to be one of various vaccine manufacturers participating in Operation Warp Speed as a supplier of a potential COVID-19 vaccine."
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...l%20licensure.

https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-21-319

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Warp_Speed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 05:31 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
This became political because DEMOCRATS politicized it. Nancy Pelosi stood on a podium around the end of February '20 and blamed Trump. THAT is when this became political, and it's DEMOCRATS who keep it politicized.

Let me make this CRYSTAL CLEAR.

MY "HESITANCY" HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH POLITICS AND EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THE APPROVAL PROCESS WE CREATED TO ENSURE NEW DRUGS ARE SAFE, AND THE FACT THAT THESE "VACCINES" ARE BEING DISTRIBUTED *GLOBALLY* WITHOUT COMPLETING THAT PROCESS.

Sorry for yelling, but damn, why don't people understand that? It's not political. IT'S NOT POLITICAL.
All of this. ^^^

Old 07-30-2021, 05:31 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
From the OP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
After months of pretending he was solely responsible for our “miracle vaccines” and the fall in cases of Covid, yesterday Biden slid in a statement about the vaccine being developed under a Republican administration. The funny thing is that had he acknowledged that earlier some of the vaccine hesitant Trump supporters his administration and the media have been targeting might have been more easily swayed to get the vaccine. But, nope, he wanted the vaccine to be associated just with him. He has gone so far as to outright lie on more than one occasion that the vaccine didn’t exist before his administration (despite getting his own jabs prior to taking office). So why the sudden change yesterday?

Let me take a guess.... something is getting ready to be reveled that he wants to share the blame for. I have a sneaky suspicion some more “misinformation’ is getting ready to stop being misinformation.
You are on it.

Old 07-30-2021, 05:34 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Let me take a guess.... something is getting ready to be reveled that he wants to share the blame for. I have a sneaky suspicion some more “misinformation’ is getting ready to stop being misinformation.
I've heard rumors that the vaccines aren't as effective against Variant D, as they were against the original Covid-19. No, no evidence yet to support that.

Perhaps Biden wants to blame Trump for not preparing a vaccine against a virus that never existed during his (Trump's) Presidency?

Old 07-30-2021, 05:46 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
After months of pretending he was solely responsible for our “miracle vaccines” and the fall in cases of Covid, yesterday Biden slid in a statement about the vaccine being developed under a Republican administration. The funny thing is that had he acknowledged that earlier some of the vaccine hesitant Trump supporters his administration and the media have been targeting might have been more easily swayed to get the vaccine. But, nope, he wanted the vaccine to be associated just with him. He has gone so far as to outright lie on more than one occasion that the vaccine didn’t exist before his administration (despite getting his own jabs prior to taking office). So why the sudden change yesterday?

12/21/2020, Biden praised Operation Warp Speed while was being inoculated with the first dose.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...orgia-n1251890

6/3/2021, Biden said the vaccine was authorized under Trump and credits both parties. It took multiple Acts of Congress to fund it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/bide...rollout-2021-6

Old 07-30-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
I've heard rumors that the vaccines aren't as effective against Variant D, as they were against the original Covid-19. No, no evidence yet to support that.

Perhaps Biden wants to blame Trump for not preparing a vaccine against a virus that never existed during his (Trump's) Presidency?
The Pfizer vaccine was approved for emergency use in early December, 2020, before the delta variant was identified. 8 months later it is known it is not as efficient at preventing infection as previously thought, given how fast the delta variant became globally dominate in a matter of months. While the number of brealpkthrough cases continues to rise, the number of hospitalizations and fatalities amongst the vaccinated remains relatively low. This does not mean much to those who are hospitalized especially those who succumb.

Pfizer has a booster shot for those 60 and older. Israel is testing it on its population right now. The world is watching very closely. Thus far, it looks promising.

As an aside, the seasonal influenza shot is reformulated every year based on dominate influenza strains in the Southern Hemisphere. Sometimes the shot nails it and other times, not so much. It is known the seasonal flu shot looses effectiveness on older populations. This is why there is a different seasonal flu shot for those 65 and older.

Influenza virus is not a coronavirus.

Old 07-30-2021, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I have seen this said on this board a few times. Maybe those few times were all your posts, I don't know.

But this is incorrect information, or at the very least, incorrect by omission.

Pfizer was one of the 9 companies that received Operation Warp Speed funding. At first, like everything else involving Trump, someone at Pfizer was trying to distance themselves from him, by making a false statement. It was purely political. They retracted that statement later, but perhaps you missed that. I will quote the retraction below.

Pfizer did, in fact, receive $2 Billion from the Warp Speed program. That is why the US got such large quantities so quickly, immediately after the conclusion of the research. In fact, it was the very first vaccine we received, and it was all that was available back when I got my vaccine as a front line worker.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...l%20licensure.

https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-21-319

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Warp_Speed
Unlike Moderna, Merck, J&J and others, Pfizer took no money for research and development. It did accept federal financial assistance for trials, a part of Warp Speed. The US placed advance orders early on with all manufacturers. The US declined options to increase advance orders with Pfizer last summer and did not do so until 12/23 knowing there was a 6 month lead time for delivery.

As we now know, the Moderna was is very close but not quite as effective as the Pfizer vaccine and J&J, less so. Merck dropped out but later agreed to manufacture J&J.

Old 07-30-2021, 06:26 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Unlike Moderna, Merck, J&J and others, Pfizer took no money for research and development. It did accept federal financial assistance for trials, a part of Warp Speed. The US placed advance orders early on with all manufacturers. The US declined options to increase advance orders with Pfizer last summer and did not do so until 12/23 knowing there was a 6 month lead time for delivery.

As we now know, the Moderna was is very close but not quite as effective as the Pfizer vaccine and J&J, less so. Merck dropped out but later agreed to manufacture J&J.
A poster wrote a post implying that Pfizer was not part of the Warp Speed program. Clearly from my post (and yours), they were.

Old 07-30-2021, 06:27 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Default All the sudden..

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Thank you for your 3 new posts that brought a welcome dose of even-keeled perspective and common sense into this conversation.
After the spectacle & debacle of 45, I've had enough of rumor-mongering on these forum threads.

Old 07-30-2021, 07:18 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post

Sho 'nuf. CDC released a new bulletin today.

In previous weeks, the CDC had said that fully-vaccinated people can't get sick from (original) Covid-19, and can't give it to others, even unvaccinated others.

But now Variant D is raising its ugly head, and the CDC is changing its tune as of today, July 30.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...-covid-19.html

Quote:
On July 27th, CDC updated its guidance for fully vaccinated people, recommending that everyone wear a mask in indoor public settings in areas of substantial and high transmission, regardless of vaccination status. This decision was made with the data and science available to CDC at the time, including a valuable public health partnership resulting in rapid receipt and review of unpublished data.

Today, some of those data were published in CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR), demonstrating that Delta infection resulted in similarly high SARS-CoV-2 viral loads in vaccinated and unvaccinated people. High viral loads suggest an increased risk of transmission and raised concern that, unlike with other variants, vaccinated people infected with Delta can transmit the virus. This finding is concerning and was a pivotal discovery leading to CDC’s updated mask recommendation. The masking recommendation was updated to ensure the vaccinated public would not unknowingly transmit virus to others, including their unvaccinated or immunocompromised loved ones.
Sounds like the only way to NOT get sick from this Variant D, is to get vaccinated. (95% efficacy, which means you still have a 5% chance of getting sick from it if you have close enough contact with an infected person. That's far better odds than if you don't get vaccinated.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies