Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 10:03 AM

7,911 posts, read 3,456,890 times

Advertisements

There is a certain point where liberty entails corporate rights and another point where corporations that are either subsidized by the government or are working in league with the government need to be curtailed in order to avoid fascism, as defined by Mussolini.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 10:09 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,021,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
Among other places, Florida--see DeSantis/Carnival Cruise Lines.

The way I interpret this...

https://floridaphoenix.com/2021/07/2...n-the-horizon/

DeSantis is fighting the "vaccination passport" issue that the CDC and Norwegian is trying to enforce.

The way I read it, the courts have so far, ruled that the gov. can't enforce a vaccination passport. Norwegian planned to go along with CDC guidelines, and require proof of vaccination...but now the CDC can't require it, and the CDC has let Norwegian know that they won't back Norwegian in any way...so kind of leaving Norwegian hanging.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:10 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times
Quote:
I'm sincerely confused, as a Libertarian and former Republican:

1. Republicans claim to promote freedom and claim to be pro-business.

2. When businesses try to act against Covid-19 (such as by requiring that customers be vaccinated), Republicans outlaw businesses' freedom to act and ban businesses from deciding how they want to operate.

How is that promoting freedom and pro-business?

If Republicans truly wanted to promote freedom and if Republicans were truly pro-business, wouldn't they let businesses act against Covid-19 however businesses want?
It's because Republicans don't really care about freedom. They care about promoting an agenda. They don't believe LGBTQ people belong in our society because God intended everyone to be heterosexual and cisgender, so they will support whatever policies they can to make life more difficult for LGBTQ individuals and that means supporting policies allowing businesses to refuse service to LGBTQ people or employers to refuse to employ them.

When it comes to Covid mask mandates, Republicans see it as restrictions on the "good Christians" and therefore they oppose them.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:11 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,410,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
You miss the conservative stance entirely. Republicans are pro-freedom for the little guy. That means regulating businesses, both big and small, to ensure the consumer is protected.
Too funny, maybe Trump has you convinced that’s what it should be, but that’s not what the R position was or is when it comes to the majority position within the party.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:11 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Those unvaccinated cruise line customers may not be able to leave the ship when they get to a foreign nation.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:12 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I thought Republicans were against regulations as being a burden on small businesses.
You are thinking about the real, old time Republicans. That party is long gone. The Party of Trump cares nothing of the traditional conservative values.

Real Republicans need to take their party back. I rarely agreed with them on their policies, but at least they actually believed in something. This iteration of the party doesn't even pretend to stand for anything other than their worship of Trump.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:12 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
There is a certain point where liberty entails corporate rights and another point where corporations that are either subsidized by the government or are working in league with the government need to be curtailed in order to avoid fascism, as defined by Mussolini.
You're a good leftist.

The party of Reagan is no more.

Free markets, free trade and free men ain't a Trumpie value.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:14 AM

3,422 posts, read 1,839,475 times
Quote:
I'm sincerely confused, as a Libertarian and former Republican:

1. Republicans claim to promote freedom and claim to be pro-business.

2. When businesses try to act against Covid-19 (such as by requiring that customers be vaccinated), Republicans outlaw businesses' freedom to act and ban businesses from deciding how they want to operate.

How is that promoting freedom and pro-business?

If Republicans truly wanted to promote freedom and if Republicans were truly pro-business, wouldn't they let businesses act against Covid-19 however businesses want?
Dubious post is dubious.

Government is minimalist and should not intrude on people's right to do anything.

Quote:
Shirt, shoes, service
I'm vaccinated so ****.

Business can't tell me I have to crawl on my hands and knees to buy things so.. again ****.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:15 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times
Quote:
You miss the conservative stance entirely. Republicans are pro-freedom for the little guy. That means regulating businesses, both big and small, to ensure the consumer is protected.
Unless the consumer is LGBTQ or a woman who wants contraceptives, am I correct?

Republicans spent years making business owners' right to refuse service to LGBTQ people and deny contraceptives one of their defining issues. Now that the "wrong" people are being affected, their stance completely changes.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:18 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Nonsense. Conservatives fight, consistently, tooth and nail, against any sort of consumer protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies