Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 10:50 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
I'm sincerely confused, as a Libertarian and former Republican:

1. Republicans claim to promote freedom and claim to be pro-business.

2. When businesses try to act against Covid-19 (such as by requiring that customers be vaccinated), Republicans outlaw businesses' freedom to act and ban businesses from deciding how they want to operate.

How is that promoting freedom and pro-business?

If Republicans truly wanted to promote freedom and if Republicans were truly pro-business, wouldn't they let businesses act against Covid-19 however businesses want?
I'm willing to say that not everything a Republican does is consistent with what they say. Can you say the same about the Dems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 10:54 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
Among other places, Florida--see DeSantis/Carnival Cruise Lines.
Ya' know, I have to give you the cruise line "battle" and I've never understood why since there are ramifications for cruisers once they dock elsewhere.

But, that is business, singular, not businesses, plural.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:58 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,182,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
You miss the conservative stance entirely. Republicans are pro-freedom for the little guy. That means regulating businesses, both big and small, to ensure the consumer is protected.
You're stating that (R) are pro-regulation for industries and regulation commissions? All in the name of consumer protection? WHAT?

Old 07-30-2021, 11:00 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,128,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Could you provide a credible link to those statements.

I smell something fishy with your claims.

Before calling me a liar, Google "DeSantis Carnival" and "Texas vaccination business".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'm willing to say that not everything a Republican does is consistent with what they say. Can you say the same about the Dems?

Democrats are consistent. They consistently hate normal people who work for a living.

Old 07-30-2021, 11:00 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I was speaking of actual Republicans. Trump bootlickers are in a whole other category.

OK then...

The Trump bootlicker, who would PRESUMABLY be all about big business, seeing as that's a Trump thing...is, in this case, telling Big Business "No".

Old 07-30-2021, 11:07 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
OK then...

The Trump bootlicker, who would PRESUMABLY be all about big business, seeing as that's a Trump thing...is, in this case, telling Big Business "No".
Ah, you have stumbled on the great paradox of the new Party of Trump. You are attempting to find reason and consistency and sense where there is none. Trump may be a business man, but his base is all about "Muh Freedum!" Desantis is pandering to that audience right now because he must or his political future is toast.

But I predict that is going to change. With the climbing death toll and the shortage of hospital beds he's not going to have a choice.

Old 07-30-2021, 11:21 AM

36,513 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I thought Republicans were against regulations as being a burden on small businesses.
I guess you thought wrong.
You probably mean over regulation.
Discriminating against those who wont take an experimental vaccine or those who cant isnt a regulation. Really no different than telling businesses they can't refuse service based on the color of ones skin, or sexual preference.

Old 07-30-2021, 11:24 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Where is this happening?
Florida prohibits businesses from denying service to unvaccinated people and those unable or unwilling to demonstrate a negative Covid test. At least one major cruise line, NCL is suing the state for overreach.

Cruise ships embarking from Florida ports typically have Caribbean itineraries, foreign ports of call on small island nations, many of which do not have the medical infrastructure to handle a Covid outbreak. These island nations are delicately balancing their economic need with the strong likelihood some of the thousands disgorged from cruise ships for the day will be spreading Covid. And the day after, their own people will be spreading it within their own populations as well as to cruise ship passengers.

Some cruise ships have been redeployed to alternative home ports in the Bahamas, Galveston, Bayonne, etc where they can deny boarding to passengers who test positive. The mega RCL ships, carrying up to 8000 passengers/ crew cannot redeploys out of Miami due to their size. Understatedly, occupancy rates have been underwhelming despite deep discounts.

Old 07-30-2021, 11:25 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I guess you thought wrong.
You probably mean over regulation.
Discriminating against those who wont take an experimental vaccine or those who cant isnt a regulation. Really no different than telling businesses they can't refuse service based on the color of ones skin, or sexual preference.
The diff is that unvaccinated is a personal choice that is not a protected class.

Old 07-30-2021, 11:26 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Where are those guys? Why don't we ever hear from them? Are there any left?
They've recently been called "Pelosi Republicans."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies